Author Topic: A Mano Ridgewood NJ  (Read 24863 times)

Offline tommy

• Supporting Member
  • Always learning, and struggling. And eating.
    • tommy:eats
Re: A Mano Ridgewood NJ
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2007, 07:57:51 PM »
scott r (or anyone), do you find that the pizza could sometimes use a little bit of salt?   

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2007, 09:14:37 PM »
Yes.I asked for some on my first visit.I tend to agree with under salting things though as you can always add it but can't take it away.I tend to salt mine at home a little more because I don't like to use any grated hard cheeses in addition to my buffala.
David
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2007, 11:06:11 PM »
I have been sticking mostly to the calzones at Amano, which are loaded with flavor, so I didn't notice the lack of salt.   I did notice too much salt on a pie I had at Una Pizza Napoletanna recently, but even with the excess it was one of the best pizzas I have found in New York.

Offline David

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2007, 12:02:10 AM »
My Wife had the best calzone she had ever tasted there a few weeks ago.Really put me in my place ! She is now demanding better of me.... ;)
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline Peteg

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2007, 08:12:38 PM »
David, Was that the calzone that Scott's been talking about? 

Offline David

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2007, 08:27:39 PM »
No,she had a regular Calzone,though Roberto was offering the " squared off " pizza style that Scott enjoyed so much.Though it looked interesting to me,I was a little put off by the longer cooking time and also the fact that I saw a waiter scraping off excessive charring from one before it was served.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2007, 10:50:25 PM »
There is a featured article on A Mano in the Sept. 2007 issue of PMQ, at http://www.pmq.com/mag/200709/article.php?story=realdeal.

Peter

Offline David

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2007, 11:54:40 AM »
That's a nice article Peter and he gets the cover shot also!
Good to see he is recognized for promoting Neapolitan pizza and authenticity.
It's just a shame that this is a "Trade " Publication and probably will not be read by too many people outside the business?
I know Roberto is an advocate for promoting and educating,which I see as very positive.
I believe Anthony at UPN was really trying to do similar with his lengthy introduction to Pizza Napoletana on his Menu - unfortunately this was interpreted by many as being aloof and sadly garnered him the " Pizza Nazi " moniker.

Offline BenLee

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2007, 01:25:04 PM »
I think what earned Anthony the Pizza Nazi label was the message stating "We have no quarrel with the man who sells cheaper pizza...He knows what his is worth!" on the top of his menu.  He goes out of his way to insult everyone on his menus and in his news/magazine interviews.

Offline David

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2007, 10:23:18 PM »
I think what earned Anthony the Pizza Nazi label was the message stating "We have no quarrel with the man who sells cheaper pizza...He knows what his is worth!" on the top of his menu.  He goes out of his way to insult everyone on his menus and in his news/magazine interviews.

see the following link.......

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4058.0.html

Offline offthebroiler

« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2007, 06:51:02 PM »
I have lots of photos and video of A Mano on my website, offthebroiler.com in case anyone is interested. I'd post the direct link but the board software is stopping me from doing so.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2007, 07:01:18 PM »
Here is the link: http://offthebroiler.wordpress.com/2007/10/13/nj-dining-a-mano/.

New members must have five posts, I believe, before they can post links.

Peter

Offline tommy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2008, 07:48:57 PM »
bad news on A Mano.  Roberto has been suspiciously missing for weeks now.  Staff was claiming he was on "vacation" in Italy for 2 months.

Now there's confirmation from the Bergen Record here that Roberto is gone for good.  Seems like they've changed the dough, and the cooking process, which just can't be a good thing.

I'm also told from friend who frequents the place that Roberto is looking to open another place (unfortunately, for us Jersey folks, in the Bronx). 

Anyone had any recent experiences at A Mano?  I haven't been for about 2 months, and now I'm regretting it.

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2008, 07:53:29 PM »
Wow what?  I thought it was his restaurant.
Patrick

Offline tommy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2008, 08:16:56 PM »
i'm pretty sure it's owned by Jerry's.  obviously i don't know what his contract was, but regardless of ownership or part ownership, he's no longer in the picture.  who knows, maybe his contract ended.  let's just hope we see him around these parts again soon.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2008, 03:08:25 AM »
Are you guys sure he is really gone?  He called me a few weeks ago because he was in Los Angeles and looking for restaraunt recommendations, but he didn't mention leaving Amano.  I was under the impression that he was just out there doing some consulting.  I thought he was a part owner of Amano, but I suppose that doesn't mean he has to be there all the time.

Offline David

« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2008, 07:40:56 AM »
Here's an old article that possibly sheds some light on some of the comments in the previous link 
( http://njmg.typepad.com/foodblog/2008/01/a-mano-loses-so.html ) provided by Tommy.

http://www.specialtyfood.com/do/news/ViewNewsArticle?id=2217

The following in particular speaks volumes IMO.........

"Wholesale is slated to become a growth area, particularly since the Turcis closed their two-year-old restaurant, Jerry’s Gourmet Osteria, in nearby Tenafly, N.J. Perhaps due to a proliferation of Italian restaurants, Jerry found the education curve on authentic Italian dishes high with patrons, who often wanted substitutions or modified preparations. “Maybe we should have just focused on making money,” says Turci".

NB. These comments ( circa 2005 )refer to the Turcis Englewood deli location.

Isn't it said "History has a habit of repeating ........."

« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 10:52:26 PM by David »

Offline tommy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2008, 09:16:15 AM »
Are you guys sure he is really gone?  
i'm as sure as i can be after reading the article i linked to (links don't show up well on our forum here):
http://njmg.typepad.com/foodblog/2008/01/forget-about-lo.html

Offline roberto60

« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2008, 12:40:56 PM »
Ciao,  I am Roberto. I'm sorry for my English this is the reason  i haven't written in the forum so much
I did this time because I want to explain  what happened inside A Mano  I was one the six owners of A Mano
but after the article in PMQ magazine last September, and also because I became US president for the
APN (associazione pizzaioli napoletani) I start received many requests to teach and consultation
to help new pizzerias up open around the country and since I have a passion to teach pizzaioli and to promote the true neapolitan pizza, I decided the start this new profession full time because I was so lucky to have had the best teacher in Naples, Mr. Antonio Starita and Mr. Don Gennaro Capatosta, Mr. Enzo Coccia, and Mr. Don Gennaro.  Please feel free to contact me with any questions you may have on my email
Scuolapizzan@gmail.com   ciao roberto

Offline tommy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2008, 08:29:10 AM »
Roberto, we're looking forward to seeing you again in North Jersey or at least close.

As for the article from the Bergen Record, they're now retracting some of the information (apparently they got the oven temp wrong, or the owner did, or something).  Here's a related Bergen Record blog post:  http://njmg.typepad.com/foodblog/2008/01/more-on-a-mano.html

It's all a bit confusing.