Author Topic: A Mano Ridgewood NJ  (Read 27296 times)

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Re: A Mano Ridgewood NJ
« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2009, 09:36:15 PM »
Burt ,
wish we got to meet at the A mano antonino show, really enjoyed it
Are you doing the all room temp proof?
what is your % hydration?
My margs are darn close to  a mano when I use Caputo and long rise little yeast, course I am a tad bias  ;) but those ovens sure are nice!
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline BurntFingers

• My son, nephew and me
« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2009, 06:19:21 AM »
The percentage is around 60-63%.  I've been using Caputo flour for a while now.  I know what the difference is and it is olive oil and too much yeast.  I put it into the dough and they do not.  I think that is what makes mine heavy.  We bench rested ours twice before cooling it over night. That gives it a great texture.

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2010, 09:15:30 PM »
Just an update,  I finally made it to Amano last week and sampled a couple pizzas.  It was monday night and the crowd was small.  The Pizza maker used the slap method right in front of us and opened up skin after skin with ease.  Bake time was just over a minute,  and might be quicker when they are busier.  We ordered one margarita and one with salami.  I have only been to one other restaurant that claims to produce the style authenticly and that was Tony's in San Fran.  In my opinion,  This pizza Smoked what I had out west and is as authentic as I have had.  I may have baked it for another 5 -10 seconds in my oven,  but I think this just added to the authenticity.  Overall,  I have eaten in many NYC joints,  but not any of the big neapolitan names like keste motorino UPN or luzzos.  All I can say is that I said out loud to my wife that this is the best,  tastiest pizza I have ever bought,  and is better than mine on all but the very best nights.  Thought you all might want to know in case you have been putting off stopping in.  I would go back on friday.  -marc

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2010, 10:02:56 PM »
I agree Marc, and its buy 1 get one free Mon - thurs!! I have not tried Keste but this good stuff ! I went and saw antonino esposito there and I am returnig  April 13th for the next demo as well. Fred Mortani wants it to be as authentic as possible and takes the time to train he pizziolas with some good talent! and those twin ovens rock!! Marco would yu consider these a true neapolitan oven? the real deal ?  Brought in master builders from italy lava from vasuvious etc...
anybody else coming in april?
John

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2010, 07:44:29 AM »
Hey! I was there last monday night too!!!    I'll tell you what happened.  The pizza is always good but I thought the service was very slow for an empty Monday night.  Then we had like 7 pizzas and 1 entree.  They brought the pizzas out first, and by the time the entree was out (since we all waited for it) the pizzas were cold.  It happens but I would think they could time that better.

John do you  have the link for the sign up again? I may or may not make it.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 07:47:47 AM by pcampbell »
Patrick

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2010, 08:18:31 AM »
"master builders from italy "

... He had made the ovens at Donna Margherita that we had to replace because it was falling down and never cooked properly....

Masterbuilder are of another league.

Ciao

Offline Bob1

« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2010, 10:59:42 AM »
Hey guys,
I hate to get off topic but I thought the proximity and Roberto would apply.  I always wanted to try this place but have not made it yet.  It is much closer to me than Ridgewood.  I have searched in the past and have not seen any postings.  It's a Neo place around Bridgewater, down from Wegemans.  I was wondering if it was worth the trip.

http://www.lunapizzanj.com/

Thanks,

Bob

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #57 on: April 01, 2010, 10:19:56 PM »
Thanks arco so those ovens there now you built help to build /consulted on??
Patrick just call them it April 13th
JOhn

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2010, 11:28:38 PM »
Jconk,  I think Marco meant that the people that built those at amano,  built the originals at donna margerita and had to be replaced,  that they were not done properly. -marc

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2010, 06:12:53 AM »
Jconk,  I think Marco meant that the people that built those at amano,  built the originals at donna margerita and had to be replaced,  that they were not done properly. -marc

Yes, I once posted a picture of the before after situation...

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning

Offline TONY

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #61 on: April 02, 2010, 10:36:53 AM »
Marco,

I noticed these ovens vent in the back, whereas the small residential ovens vent in the front.  Do all Italian ovens vent in the back like this one???

Tony

Offline jimd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #62 on: April 02, 2010, 11:34:45 AM »
I know that Marco will respond directly, but I think that the oven vents up-front, and the venting duct (between the oven dome and the outer shell) bends backward so that the chimney is in the back, which makes the oven look like it has the oven vent itself in the back.

jim

Offline TONY

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #63 on: April 02, 2010, 11:47:34 AM »
Jim,

I kinda thought that, but wasn't completly sure.........thanks

Tony

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #64 on: May 25, 2011, 08:12:46 AM »
My Amano Monday
It was 2 for 1 day and since I could not bake because I was working on my AARK! I stoped in for the real deal  :P
I ate 1 pie then asked for 1 to go they made that then the ticket came up and they made another so it was 3 for 1  ;D  sorry Carlo They really have it dialed in here at Amano . Very Consistent! Last pic is the one I devoured!! boxes were para casa! They Let me mess with the dough a bit , was very wet 100% caputo. Pics below made the pies shown.
John
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 08:14:20 AM by JConk007 »

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #65 on: May 25, 2011, 08:39:05 AM »
My Amano Monday
It was 2 for 1 day and since I could not bake because I was working on my AARK! I stoped in for the real deal  :P
I ate 1 pie then asked for 1 to go they made that then the ticket came up and they made another so it was 3 for 1  ;D  sorry Carlo They really have it dialed in here at Amano . Very Consistent! Last pic is the one I devoured!! boxes were para casa! They Let me mess with the dough a bit , was very wet 100% caputo. Pics below made the pies shown.
John

John - Do you know what the bake time is on these pies pictured?

John

Online Jackie Tran

« Reply #66 on: May 25, 2011, 08:41:43 AM »
Pies look tasty John.   The dough looks very much like Keste's dough.  Do you know if this is cold fermented at all or is it CY and long slow room temp ferment as Roberto does? 

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #67 on: May 25, 2011, 01:06:19 PM »
Yes looks very similar to Keste and will probably look like Starita too!  I think around  70-80 seconds and a good amount of spinning and he domed it (Lifted) for a good 10 sec to finish it.  I should have timed (next time) I watched them make all 3 of them.  He told me 260G for the 12" .The dough made day before so I assume is 22-26 hr room temp. by 1 pm, they use cake yeast. and 100% caputo.  In speaking with Frank from Vesta who trained with Roberto to my suprise he teaches a 6 hr rise dough ?
John
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 01:11:56 PM by JConk007 »

Online Jackie Tran

« Reply #68 on: May 25, 2011, 01:16:57 PM »
Thanks John, I'll give it a shot this weekend.  8)   Was there any crisp to the veneer at all or was it pretty soft?  Any crispness to the bottom initially or soft as well?  Any wetness like the Da Michelle pies?

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #69 on: May 25, 2011, 04:48:19 PM »
Is it me or does their dough always look like it's on it's last leg. How was the pizza you took home after it cooled down?

Heres a close up of their dough. It's at Marco's Coal Fired pizza in Denver.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 04:50:29 PM by BrickStoneOven »

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #70 on: May 25, 2011, 08:55:25 PM »
Is it me or does their dough always look like it's on it's last leg. How was the pizza you took home after it cooled down?

My thoughts exactly.....some of the balls in the proofing tray look like they are overfermented.
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #71 on: May 25, 2011, 10:28:15 PM »
I agree almost blown! Chau soft bottom but very little gum line not wet. This pic from a while back shows what I think it should look like? but what do I know? sure tastes good! If I was not able to study the proofing boxes one would never know. They cut them out, then pinch the corners together flip it over  then start the opening process.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 10:31:01 PM by JConk007 »

Online Jackie Tran

« Reply #72 on: May 25, 2011, 10:53:45 PM »
Is it me or does their dough always look like it's on it's last leg.

This explains some of the heavy leoparding and the relatively small amount of rise in the rim. 

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #73 on: March 29, 2012, 11:00:34 PM »
 I had a client working accross the street from Amano what an excuse ! not that I need an excuse  to go here Heres the lunch pie and the to go Marghetia hey Its amn expense account right spot on again! dough a little less blown and nice and quite great chance to speak with the Pizziaolos

scott123

« Reply #74 on: March 29, 2012, 11:05:46 PM »
John, you've had probably countless lunch and dinner pies at Amano, right?  The dough balls for lunch are the same as for dinner, correct?  Are the lunch pies inferior in any way? Are you able to detect vast differences in fermentation between lunch and dinner crumbs?

pizzapan