Author Topic: A Mano Ridgewood NJ  (Read 22983 times)

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
Re: A Mano Ridgewood NJ
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2008, 11:23:07 AM »
600F sounded too low for 2-3 minute pizzas as per http://njmg.typepad.com/foodblog/2008/01/forget-about-lo.html
Patrick

Offline roberto60

« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2008, 05:54:36 PM »
Hi  yes 600 it is very low is not  possible cook neapolitan pizza at that temperature   ciao grraze

Offline ebpizza

« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2008, 07:34:46 PM »
Roberto,

The article above mentions that you are doing consulting in Boston.
Could you provide more details?

Offline roberto60

« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2008, 06:11:51 PM »
Hi  ebpizza i will be in BOSTON from monday to saturday  for consulting some body that won open neapolitan pizzeria  and the caputo flower  you can  call or email this is my phone number 201 961 5017
and my email is scuolapizzan@mail .com  ciao roberto

Offline tommy

• Supporting Member
  • Always learning, and struggling. And eating.
    • tommy:eats
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2009, 08:25:23 AM »
Quick update on A Mano...

More than a few people noticed the quality of the pizze dropping after Roberto left.  I was one of them.  It was hardly worth traveling for, and I live 5 minutes away.

Roberto is back for a brief consulting stint, retooling the place, retraining the pizzaioli, and a friend tells me they're back on track.  Who knows how the quality will remain after he leaves.  Unless they have passionate, skilled guys manning those ovens, I'm afraid it will quickly slip once again.

Rumor has it that Roberto is also currently working on opening a pizzeria/wine bar in downtown manhattan.  I can't find many details of this, but I'm certainly looking forward to the opening. 

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2009, 11:29:46 AM »
http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/01/05/a-taste-of-naples/

BTW I had an excellent Calzone to go from Amano last week made by a young Italian guy.Roberto told me that the young Pizzaiolo had spent some time previously working at my favorite pizza place in Naples.It showed.From the minute he picked the dough out the box.Total respect for the dough.
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline tommy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2009, 07:07:43 PM »
A Mano is hosting a pizza making class on Monday, 7/20, for those of you locals who might be interested:  http://njmg.typepad.com/foodblog/2009/07/two-events-next-week.html

ok, i see i'm late to the party.   :)
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=8876.0

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2009, 11:15:56 PM »
I am signed up and will be there But sans roberto right?
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline tommy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2009, 07:08:58 AM »
I am signed up and will be there But sans roberto right?
Roberto is almost no doubt going to be at Keste and not A Mano.  Roberto is a nice guy.  I hope this fella is too!

Offline BurntFingers

• My son, nephew and me
« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2009, 08:59:30 PM »
We went out for pizza tonight on our way back to south Jersey from NYC.  Now you gotta figure NYC and all of NJ to pick from and we go to A Mano in Ridgewood NJ.  Remember it is almost two hours in GSP traffic north of home.  And it was well worth the trip.  A perfectly put together grilled  bunch of artichokes over a bed of  very mild arugula salad.  Fredrick, Carlo, and Eric were testing new recipes  and giving samples for us to try out.  I can't wait to see them on the menu in the near future.  We ordered one of the "special" pies.  The dough base was as light as a feather, with just the right char and WFO flavor, the cheese melted  into a creamy truffle base  done to perfection with portobello mushrooms. 

You have to understand that the day before yesterday I made 18 Margarita Pizza's for guests in our WFO.  Pizza has become a staple in our house this summer.  Now, if only I could get my crusts to be as light as theirs'.  The ingredients are the same.  I have to work on the proofing to be better for sure.  It is fun trying. 

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2009, 09:36:15 PM »
Burt ,
wish we got to meet at the A mano antonino show, really enjoyed it
Are you doing the all room temp proof?
what is your % hydration?
My margs are darn close to  a mano when I use Caputo and long rise little yeast, course I am a tad bias  ;) but those ovens sure are nice!
John

Offline BurntFingers

• My son, nephew and me
« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2009, 06:19:21 AM »
The percentage is around 60-63%.  I've been using Caputo flour for a while now.  I know what the difference is and it is olive oil and too much yeast.  I put it into the dough and they do not.  I think that is what makes mine heavy.  We bench rested ours twice before cooling it over night. That gives it a great texture.

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2010, 09:15:30 PM »
Just an update,  I finally made it to Amano last week and sampled a couple pizzas.  It was monday night and the crowd was small.  The Pizza maker used the slap method right in front of us and opened up skin after skin with ease.  Bake time was just over a minute,  and might be quicker when they are busier.  We ordered one margarita and one with salami.  I have only been to one other restaurant that claims to produce the style authenticly and that was Tony's in San Fran.  In my opinion,  This pizza Smoked what I had out west and is as authentic as I have had.  I may have baked it for another 5 -10 seconds in my oven,  but I think this just added to the authenticity.  Overall,  I have eaten in many NYC joints,  but not any of the big neapolitan names like keste motorino UPN or luzzos.  All I can say is that I said out loud to my wife that this is the best,  tastiest pizza I have ever bought,  and is better than mine on all but the very best nights.  Thought you all might want to know in case you have been putting off stopping in.  I would go back on friday.  -marc

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2010, 10:02:56 PM »
I agree Marc, and its buy 1 get one free Mon - thurs!! I have not tried Keste but this good stuff ! I went and saw antonino esposito there and I am returnig  April 13th for the next demo as well. Fred Mortani wants it to be as authentic as possible and takes the time to train he pizziolas with some good talent! and those twin ovens rock!! Marco would yu consider these a true neapolitan oven? the real deal ?  Brought in master builders from italy lava from vasuvious etc...
anybody else coming in april?
John

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2010, 07:44:29 AM »
Hey! I was there last monday night too!!!    I'll tell you what happened.  The pizza is always good but I thought the service was very slow for an empty Monday night.  Then we had like 7 pizzas and 1 entree.  They brought the pizzas out first, and by the time the entree was out (since we all waited for it) the pizzas were cold.  It happens but I would think they could time that better.

John do you  have the link for the sign up again? I may or may not make it.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 07:47:47 AM by pcampbell »
Patrick

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2010, 08:18:31 AM »
"master builders from italy "

... He had made the ovens at Donna Margherita that we had to replace because it was falling down and never cooked properly....

Masterbuilder are of another league.

Ciao

Offline Bob1

« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2010, 10:59:42 AM »
Hey guys,
I hate to get off topic but I thought the proximity and Roberto would apply.  I always wanted to try this place but have not made it yet.  It is much closer to me than Ridgewood.  I have searched in the past and have not seen any postings.  It's a Neo place around Bridgewater, down from Wegemans.  I was wondering if it was worth the trip.

http://www.lunapizzanj.com/

Thanks,

Bob

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #57 on: April 01, 2010, 10:19:56 PM »
Thanks arco so those ovens there now you built help to build /consulted on??
Patrick just call them it April 13th
JOhn

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2010, 11:28:38 PM »
Jconk,  I think Marco meant that the people that built those at amano,  built the originals at donna margerita and had to be replaced,  that they were not done properly. -marc

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2010, 06:12:53 AM »
Jconk,  I think Marco meant that the people that built those at amano,  built the originals at donna margerita and had to be replaced,  that they were not done properly. -marc

Yes, I once posted a picture of the before after situation...