Author Topic: Need some advice on making pan? pizza  (Read 1189 times)

Offline Nathan

• Supporting Member
Need some advice on making pan? pizza
« on: May 31, 2007, 11:20:49 PM »
Hello everyone.  I haven't been around in a long time because I got sick of making pizza  :-[ but now I'm back.  I'm a major NY style lover and that's all I've ever made.  But now I've had a request for a different style and I'm not even sure what you'd call it but I'm guessing pan.  She said her dad makes it and the crust is thin but the toppings are really thick.  What type of dough should I use to make something like that?  I plan on cooking it in a cast iron skillet but I wasn't sure if the Lehmann dough would be the best choice for that or not.  To give you an idea of what type of crust they're used to she said he just uses Jiffy mix.  And obviously I'm not going to use Jiffy mix  :-D  So do any of you have any suggestions?  Thanks a lot.
"Pizza with pineapples?  That's a cake."

Offline Nathan

• Supporting Member
Re: Need some advice on making pan? pizza
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 05:10:28 PM »
Anyone?
"Pizza with pineapples?  That's a cake."

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 06:11:09 PM »
Nathan,

To be honest, what you are describing sounds to me to be a deep-dish pizza. And it is not exactly unheard of to use Jiffy mix for the dough. An example is given at this post: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2256.msg19859.html#msg19859 (Reply 3). It is also common to use a cast-iron skillet to make a deep-dish pizza. A pan pizza dough usually has a lot of height, mainly because the dough is allowed to proof in the pan for a period of time before it is dressed and baked. A deep-dish crust has a typical thickness factor of around 0.12+-0.13, as compared with about 0.10 for a thin NY style. A 12” Pizza Hut pan pizza requires about 22 ounces of dough. You can load up most pizzas with toppings, so that doesn’t specify a particular style. But I would say that a deep-dish has the most in the way of fillings/toppings on a relative size basis.

Maybe you can get a few more details.

Peter

Offline aptfive

• www.aptfive.com
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 10:59:15 AM »
Anyone?

..perhaps your looking to make a pan pizza like this ..its a 14" bakalon pan ..and i use the same recipe as my this crust ...after i let the dough come to room temp on my counter (3 1/2) hrs ..it gets layed out in the pan with vege oil ..and some oregano ..and i let it sit in the pan for a few more hours until it rises more and gets all spongie ..patience is the game here =) craig