Author Topic: Super Fast Pizza?  (Read 4633 times)

Offline IamAmember

• Power of the n00b!
Super Fast Pizza?
« on: May 17, 2007, 09:25:34 PM »
Hello, first post here so be nice. ::)

I've made, close to a dozen Pizza's using the two Thin and Crackery Pizza recipes on this site and have loved them all. But here's my question, sometimes I'm just really craving pizza, and I was wondering if anybody had a half decent same hour Pizza recipe?

I realize it wont be anywhere near as good, but I'm willing to compromise once and a wile.  ;D

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Super Fast Pizza?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 09:54:42 PM »
IamAmember,

The method I have used to make a pizza within an hour is the one described in this post: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2250.msg19793.html#msg19793 (Reply 12). I used a particular brand of 00 flour (Bel Aria), a food processor, and a proofing box as described and shown at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,403.msg4887.html#msg4887 (Reply 6). Everything was geared to speed and high temperature.

I have used the abovereferenced recipe for standard home oven use, and also with a countertop Deni pizza oven, as described at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,637.msg29667.html#msg29667 (Reply 47). See also the following Reply 48 where I used the Caputo Extra Blu 00 flour in lieu of the Bel Aria flour.

If you are willing to go out to about 3-4 hours, there are several dough formulations on the forum that do a pretty good job.

Peter
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 10:24:38 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 10:07:44 PM »
Here is another recipe that I tried out early in my pizza making career. I was able to make the pizza fast, but I wouldn't give it particularly high marks for crust taste, color and texture. I liked the Bel Aria 00 version better.

“Last-Minute” Pizza Dough Recipe #1, Using Rapid-Rise Yeast (from Eating Well magazine)

4- 4 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
2 packets of Rapid-Rise Yeast
2 t. salt
1 t. sugar
2 t. olive oil
1 1/4 c. water (extra for processing in food processor)

In a large mixing bowl, stir together 3 cups of the flour, the yeast and the sugar.  In a small saucepan, combine 1 1/4 cups of water and the olive oil and heat until it is hot to the touch, about 125-130° F.  With a wooden spoon, gradually stir the oil and water mixture into the flour mixture.  Beat until well mixed.  Gradually add enough of the remaining flour to make a firm, soft dough.  Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 8 to 10 minutes, or until smooth and elastic.  Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 10 minutes.

To make this dough even faster, combine 4 cups of the flour, the yeast, salt and the sugar in the bowl of a large capacity food processor.  Heat 1 1/2 cups of water and the olive oil to 125-130° F (this can be done quickly using a microwave oven).  With the food processor’s motor running, gradually pour the hot liquid through the feed tube.  Process, adding up to 2 tablespoons cold water, until the dough forms a ball, then process for about 40 seconds more to knead.  Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, cover with plastic wrap, and let rest for 10 minutes.  Form into pizza rounds.  Makes 8 (6-inch) crusts.

(Peter's Note: Note that this recipe does not call for a lot of sugar or olive oil for the amount of flour used.  Consequently, the baked crust will be fairly light in color.  Also, the high amount of Rapid-Rise yeast used, together with the water/oil mixture at a temperature about 20° F higher than normal, and the use of a microwave oven and food processor, will result in the preparation of a pizza dough, from beginning to end, in less than 20 minutes.  Allowing for preheating of an oven and a pizza stone for, say, 1/2 hour, will result in a finished pizza in less than an hour, especially if there are not many toppings.   For an added flavor touch and texture improvement, part of the all-purpose flour called for in this recipe can be replaced with cornmeal or semolina—about 1/2 cup or so.)

Peter

Offline IamAmember

• Power of the n00b!
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 01:14:53 AM »
Thanks a lot! I don't have a proofing box but I've bin thinking of making one. Time to order some 'real' flower now I guess.  ;D If I have any Rapid-Rise yeast I'll make some up of the later recipe tonight.  :)

Offline nepa-pizza-snob

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 12:08:49 AM »
you could also make some extra dough and have it around for when the urge strikes - thats what I do
there is never less than 2 pizzas worth of dough lying around my fridge

Offline Sour_Jax

• You've been weighed, measured and found kneading.
    • SourJax Creations Studio
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 11:22:30 PM »
This maybe a taboo or no-no. But you could use a pre-made crust such as Mama Mary's.
The best things in life are free! Salvation being the greatest!

Give a man a pizza, he'll be happy for a day.
Teach him to make pizza, he'll be happy for a lifetime.

visit
www.handbookforlife.com
www.SourJax.net

Offline IamAmember

• Power of the n00b!
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2007, 03:08:24 AM »
Nepa Pizza Snob,
How long does dough usually keep in the fridge? Typically anyway. I've left dough for about 24 hours after the recipes stated fermentation period, but never for any longer.

Sour Jax,
Haha, I've had too much pre-made food in my relativally short lifetime already ;D That's why I'm starting to make my own Pizza, but thanks none the less. :)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2007, 07:44:22 AM »
IamAmember,

Since you requested dough recipes that can produce doughs within a very short period of time, I mentioned two examples in my last post. However, as nepa-pizza-snob has indicated, it is possible to make several doughs and keep them in the refrigerator for later use. In fact, several of our members, including Jack, Bryan S and MWTC, routinely make and “inventory” dough balls that have usable lifespans of 7 days or more. I personally have made doughs that lasted 7 days (Reply 2 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3985.msg33253.html#msg33253), 10 days (Reply 23 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3985.msg35370.html#msg35370), 12 days
(Reply 29 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3985.msg36081.html#msg36081), 15 days (Reply 57 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3985.msg40092.html#msg40092), and 23 days (Reply 117 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3985.msg42556.html#msg42556).

I am still trying to find the “sweet” spot but I think it is safe to say that 23 days is too long because of the potent and unusual crust flavors of such a geriatric crust and the reduced level of sweetness in such a crust because of apparent reduced levels of residual sugar. If I had to guess, I would say that 7-10 days may be the “sweet” spot, but knowing that a dough can make it out to 15 days and still achieve good results can come in handy at some point. 

Peter

Offline pizzaisgood

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2007, 11:08:53 PM »
Here is my quick pizza dough recipe.

20 oz ka bread flour by weight
12 oz hot water by weight
2 tsp raw white honey
2 tsp diy yeast
1 tsp sea salt
3 tbs corn oil

Combine the dry ingredients together.

Mix the hot water, oil and raw honey and stir until the honey is mostly dissolved.

Mix the dough in a bread maker until the dough forms a ball and all the flour is incorporated. Remove the dough ball and knead on lightly floured surface for two minutes. Coat with olive oil and place in bowl with lid. I like to let the dough raise outside since it has been so warm lately. The dough doubles in bulk in about a 20 minutes in 85 + degrees in the sunlight! Bake at 475 until golden brown.

Offline pizzoid

• Lifetime Member
  • A Hideous, Addictive, substance dependency
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2007, 08:28:23 AM »
For 1 to 1.5 hour pizza, I use my normal recipe, but quadruple the yeast. I use IDY, and pre-dissolve it in 105 F water, then add sugar and let it sit a minute. I also have a convection oven with a 140 F dehydrate function, so I pre-warm my DLX metal mixer bowl and flour, to get it to 105F (or as close as possible) so things stay warm during kneading before setting it to max for cooking. My Fibrament stone gets to 570F (in a 500F max oven) in about 45 minutes.

But usually I'm in the camp of having a dough ball or three sitting on the bottom shelf of my fridge at any time....

- Al

Offline Flagpull

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2007, 11:18:09 AM »
If there is an absolute emergency where i've got people coming over who want pizza and i've got no dough ready I head on down to my favorite local pizzeria and they will sell me dough.

Some independents do, some don't, it all depends.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2007, 11:43:14 AM »
Some supermarkets and some places like Trader Joe's also sell pre-made dough. It is unlikely to be as good as from a good pizzeria, but it will serve in a pinch.

Peter

Offline nepa-pizza-snob

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2007, 11:32:17 PM »
sorry I've been busy - pete-zza said it all though, dough can last a while if you formulate it correctly ;D

Offline IamAmember

• Power of the n00b!
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2007, 01:24:45 AM »
Wow :o thanks guys! Didn't think I would get so much info so fast. ;D Things are a bit busy here though so I haven't bin ably to try anything all of you have mentioned (moving is so much fun isn't it ::)) But I look forward to making some Pizza soon. :pizza: