Author Topic: Fed six!  (Read 1113 times)

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
Fed six!
« on: May 19, 2007, 05:30:36 AM »
Last night I nervously made pizza for my wife (who has had all of the experimentals  :-D ) and four friends. 

I was going to chicken out and order out but decided at the last minute decided to make it myself. I'd been telling them about my pizza for quite some time so I figured this was the best opportunity to get a few other opinions. 

Thursday night I made 3 dougballs and immediately stuck them in the fridge at 10 PM - and took them out at 8AM.  It was very cool yesterday here (60 F? outside - not 70 F inside) so I put them on the counter from 8AM until 6PM. 

It was basically New York style pizza using Patsy's starter.  Some Trader Joe's fresh mozzarella and Trader Joe's "sugo di pomodoro" canned sauce.  No pictures, they ate them all too quickly.  Biggest complaint was there was not enough.

I only have 1 oven, so I had to make a pizza, eat a slice and let them fight over who got the last two while I made the next. It sort of added to the entertainment to serve it up in batches and they were all curious to get the next one hot out of the oven.

Thanks for the help from here - I could not have done it otherwise  :chef:
Patrick

Offline mikeintj

Re: Fed six!
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 07:16:00 AM »

Stupid question perhaps, but how did you get hold of patsy's starter? You just go and ask for it?

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 09:36:01 AM »
There have been threads about this.  I guess people say that Patsy's doesn't really use a starter  so it might not be a starter per se but a replication or culture of whatever yeast they use.  Anyway , Jeff Varasano went in an got a calzone and then "grew" it off of that.  He sent it to someone else, who sent it to me.  I can send you some if you like.
Patrick

Offline mikeintj

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 03:52:40 PM »

Thanks for the offer and I might hold you to that some time in the future! I have seen the sourdo.com website that has various starters, have you experimented with other starters?