Author Topic: My first Chicago-style  (Read 1571 times)

Offline drroger

My first Chicago-style
« on: May 21, 2007, 10:00:43 PM »
Props to DKM for his recipe and for the dough calculator. I did this in a cast iron skillet. Pretty much followed the recipe from the Recipe file. After making a number of thin crust pizzas, it's amazing now little kneading is required. I cooked this after I had made some thin crusts for my kids, so turning down the oven from 500 to 450. Brushed on olive oil onto the pan and spread out the dough. Fresh mozarella and cooked italian sausage. Had Kroger's brand crushed tomatoes (kind of thin, almost tomato sauce consistency). Put in for 30 minutes onto the stone. And success. Got the crunchy, biscuit like consistency. I'll probably have to drain the tomatoes before cooking as well.

Offline sanchez

Re: My first Chicago-style
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 07:06:46 AM »
Nice.  Very interesting to see you are using the exact same lodge skillet that I own.  I have benn planning on making a Chi-style deep dish pizza and until seeing you post this I wasn't planning on using my pizza stone.  I was going to preheat my oven for 30 minutes and place the pan with the fully dressed pizza directly into the oven.  But since you said you placed yours on the stone I'm second guessing myself.

I still haven't settled on a crust recipe but I assume it will be a DKM variant with 6-in-1's and maybe grande or polly-o cheese.  I'm stopping by PennMac on friday and will have access to nearly anything I want.

What flour did you use?  Did your crust have cornmeal? 

Offline drroger

Re: My first Chicago-style
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 08:37:09 PM »
Sanchez, I keep my pizza stone in the oven all the time, even if I don't bake directly on it. Supposedly keeps the oven temperature more stable. I wonder if it helped to cook the bottom. A lot of other posts complained of crust bottoms that were too soft.

I used AP flour, less gluten than the bread flour that I use for my regular pizza crusts. And I did use the cornmeal. It gave the crust a bit of bite. My family liked it alot, but they also haven't eaten a lot of deep dish (actually my kids first taste of it). I might try it again without the cornmeal, just to compare. And besides, I don't mind eating my mistakes  ;)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 08:39:28 PM by drroger »

pizzapan