Author Topic: No Knead Pizza Dough Experiment  (Read 1457 times)

Offline Jason T.

• Custom Shaker Furniture
No Knead Pizza Dough Experiment
« on: May 30, 2007, 05:12:30 AM »
This is my first post having just found this site.  What a great place to learn about pizza!

Anyway, I recently discovered no-knead bread and wondered how it would do as pizza dough.  Well, I have made five pizzas so far and it has been fantastic.  The night that I put my first batch together I was just about out of APF so I made due with some other flour that I had on hand just for some fun.  The attached pictures are of the first batch.  This was a crust experiment so I didn't do anything special for the sauce or toppings.

The mix is: 
1 Cups Flour total
    cup all purpose flour
    cup rye flour
    cup minus tsp bread flour
    cup minus tsp cake flour
   1 tsp gluten flour
Cup Water
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp instant yeast

After mix up (per no-knead methodology), it sat covered at room temp for 18 hours, then carefully formed a ball, and let it rest for 2 hours.  Then I stretched it out, trying not to degas the edge too much.  Then it was off to the recently modified self-cleaning oven  ;D.  On the last five I made, I was keeping them in the oven a bit longer to get them even more crisp while keeping a nice moist crumb.   

I have been trying to make good pizzas for years.  This was the closest I've come to thinking I've arrived at something worth talking about even with the yucky sauce  :-X

Give it a shot.  It's very, very easy.   

Jason 

Offline aptfive

• www.aptfive.com
Re: No Knead Pizza Dough Experiment
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 10:21:02 PM »
This is my first post having just found this site.  What a great place to learn about pizza!

Anyway, I recently discovered no-knead bread and wondered how it would do as pizza dough.  Well, I have made five pizzas so far and it has been fantastic.  The night that I put my first batch together I was just about out of APF so I made due with some other flour that I had on hand just for some fun.  The attached pictures are of the first batch.  This was a crust experiment so I didn't do anything special for the sauce or toppings.

The mix is: 
1 Cups Flour total
    cup all purpose flour
    cup rye flour
    cup minus tsp bread flour
    cup minus tsp cake flour
   1 tsp gluten flour
Cup Water
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp instant yeast

After mix up (per no-knead methodology), it sat covered at room temp for 18 hours, then carefully formed a ball, and let it rest for 2 hours.  Then I stretched it out, trying not to degas the edge too much.  Then it was off to the recently modified self-cleaning oven  ;D.  On the last five I made, I was keeping them in the oven a bit longer to get them even more crisp while keeping a nice moist crumb.   

I have been trying to make good pizzas for years.  This was the closest I've come to thinking I've arrived at something worth talking about even with the yucky sauce  :-X

Give it a shot.  It's very, very easy.   

Jason 

..interesting pie jason ..where ya from ...great site huh ?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 10:22:46 PM by aptfive »

Offline Jason T.

• Custom Shaker Furniture
Re: No Knead Pizza Dough Experiment
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 10:37:45 PM »
..interesting pie jason ..where ya from ...great site huh ?

Thanks.  I'm from the Central Valley in California - the small town of Hanford. 

"Amen" to the great site.  My neighbors think so as well as they've been helping us polish off all the pies we've been making.  The best tip I've found is getting the heat "adjusted" on my oven.  Before I found this site I was about ready to trash my oven!  We've made peace with each other since finding this site  :D

pizzapan