Author Topic: Fresh spinach  (Read 2172 times)

Offline sanchez

Fresh spinach
« on: May 21, 2007, 06:57:12 AM »
I'd like to incorporate fresh spinach into my pizza.  I've never tried this before.  I'ma  NY pizza fan but it seems that spinich might be a better topping for Chicago style pizzas.  I'm really not much of a frozen spinach kind of guy as I prefer fresh. 

What would be the best way to use fresh spinach?  For both NY and chicago style pies.

Should I place it on top of a NY pie like you might basil or would the intense heat burnt he spinach.

I assume you could layer it undernieth the sauce on a chicago pie but I'd like to hear your suggestions.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Fresh spinach
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 08:38:45 AM »
sanchez,

If you do a forum search, and also at the PMQ Think Tank forum, you will find a ton of posts on this topic. I think that you will find that just about every conceivable way of using spinach has been tried--fresh, raw, whole (including stems), regular/baby, chopped, cooked, blanched, steamed, plain, gussied up, sauteed (usually in garlic with oil), on top, under everything, etc. Each method has its advocates. See, for example, http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?p=10596#10596.

Peter
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 11:10:07 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline Jack

• Pizza; it's what's for dinner, breakfast........
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 10:30:08 AM »
I wash and dry the leaves, trim off the stem and lay each leaf on top of the sauce, but under the cheese on my NY Style pies.  I have not ever layered it more than one leaf thick.  It cooks up fine.  Even my kids eat it.

Jack

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 11:12:34 AM »
If retaining the nice green color and freshness of spinach is a consideration, as it might be, for example, if a white (e.g. alfredo) sauce is to be used where the white/green color contrast is desired, then placing fresh spinach, such as baby spinach, on top of the pizza right after the pizza comes out of the oven and letting it wilt is an effective way of achieving this objective. Most pizza operators put the spinach under the cheeses to keep the spinach from burning although some operators like to keep some of the spinach exposed for color contrast. Some will even let a few stems show, as evidence to the customer of the freshness of the product.

Peter

pizzapan