Author Topic: Guerilla Oven  (Read 2489 times)

Offline nepa-pizza-snob

Guerilla Oven
« on: May 28, 2007, 10:01:04 PM »
Ok laugh or what ever, but I want to enjoy Naples pizza like anyone else, at present I cannot
afford to build an oven, nor am I able to modify my oven to cook on cleaning cycle. I do have a
access to many metal barrels. I am trying to devise a way to turn one into a low dome or I guess a barrell type oven. With a few brackets welded in place I would have a place for the
"hearth" but how to add mass to "dome" to cook pie evenly. I know using a 55 gal. drum  my
pie size might be limited, but if I can make a passable pie I am looking into a larger size
250 gal or so. Any comments would be cool. keep the bs to your self unless its really humerous.

Offline scottfsmith

Re: Guerilla Oven
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 09:56:24 AM »
I'm in a similar situation.   I have been having pretty decent luck with a pizza stone in my tiny old gas BBQ grill, it can get up to about 650F which is a lot better than my oven can do.  I am now looking at upgrading the grill to one which can get hotter and is bigger to distribute the heat better.  Just last night I cooked a pizza in a friends brand-new Weber gas grill which cost about $600.  We didn't have time to wait for it to get hot enough but it did cook very evenly at 450F and the grill will go to 650F according to my friend.  That still isn't hot enough.  The infrared grills are coming down in price and I expect they will get up to 800F or even more.  But they are still $1200 minumum and the bodies are not designed for that high heat even though the burners will put it out.

I don't know if I would mess with drums, it will be hard to get the heat in them (you do need air circulation and you don't need explosions).  If there was a gas grill enclosure that would take 950F maybe you could replace the burner with something more high-powered.  Another idea is to line the top and sides of the grill with tiles.  One positive consequence of this is it would also insulate the grill body from the highest heat.

The good news about grills is I don't think there is a fundamental problem from the fact that the heat comes from the bottom - with a combination of aluminum under the stone or more layers of stone on the bottom I have solved that problem and gotten nicely browned crust without burning the bottom.  All that is needed is higher temperature.

Scott

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 12:42:29 PM »
This project sound kinda like a horizontal Tandoor. ( http://www.solareagle.com/homebrew.html )  Using a 250 gallon drum, I'm wondering if  you could drill some anchor holes that attach to some type of light rebar material.  Then apply a thick coat of furnace cement to the interior.  Mold it to your specifications.
I'd run some kind of header ( or half lid with furnace cement ) at the front to retain the ceiling heat. 
After seeing Marshall's pizza oven ( www.veracipizza.com ) two weeks ago in Seattle, I'd keep it simple and use no chimney.  If it works, you might add insulation to the exterior.  Who knows, you could start a revolution.

Offline mzshan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 08:45:52 PM »
Is there a Horizantal tandoor??? I have been trying to find out that mysterious question myself...
I am a huge Naan fan and was thinking of trying to make pizza on directly the clay stone that way the bottom is DONE just perfectly the way naan is...

but beside that I have an idea for oven construction possible a rough diagram to to explain what i have in my head if there are some people handy with metal craft. It may require an old oven (home) with a broiler..

before I explain my self if there is any interst let me know so i can continue.

shan

Offline nepa-pizza-snob

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 10:32:58 PM »
There is always an interest here - this art was revolutionized by artists, craftsmen, and thinkers.
Perhaps you will be part of the next wave of great pizza making concepts. Fight the bore, buck the norm.  >:D :-D

Offline Mr_You

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 09:09:50 PM »
FYI: I replied to this thread in regards to the infrared burners but it was moved to "Home Ovens" as a new thread.  ???

"Re: Portable Neapolitan-Style Pizza Oven"

- Thread Jacker  :-D
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 09:15:12 PM by Mr_You »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning

Offline afraz

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 01:09:26 AM »
the tandoor looks like a cool starting point. However, the shape you want is really a horizontal half-cylinder. So why not cut the standing drum in half on its vertical axis, and only coat one half with clay. Then lie that half on a base of bricks or cinder blocks on its side, and you have a pizza oven. Light a wood/charcoal fire inside and push it to the back, then cook the pizza in front.
Seems like a good, cheap all-purpose brick oven baking setup.
This sounds so cool I might actually try it myself  :)

Offline scottfsmith

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 08:49:41 AM »
The cut in half oil drum is the standard southern BBQ special.  Heres some links via Google:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&hs=aBY&q=oil+drum+bbq+-site%3A.uk&btnG=Search

Theres gotta be some way to mod one of those designs to get a decent pizza oven.

Scott