Author Topic: By Joe, I think I've got it.  (Read 2193 times)

Offline briterian

• and some think pizza's easy!
By Joe, I think I've got it.
« on: June 27, 2007, 09:55:08 PM »
After about 2-3 yrs of trying different things with my GE gas oven, including the over-hyped Varasano oven-clean method and taking your pizza out half-way through and moving it up and broiling it, I think I've hit on a method that seems to reliably work for me, (but probably has been discussed previously).  I always recall when getting street pizza in NYC how they put your slice back in the oven for a couple of minutes to refresh it.   Well, here is my technique mimicing it - that allows you to keep the oven door closed during final minutes of cooking along with crisping up the bottom of the crust. I used this tonight and the people I had over seemed to think it was my best yet.

Here are the steps.
1. Layer quarry tiles (from Lowes) on both bottom and upper section of oven.
2. Preheat oven for an hour or more a 550 degrees
3. Roll out dough (I use Lehman's recipe with some added sugar for browning)
4. Put dough on bottom section of oven for exactly 2 minutes
5. Feel free if needed to puncture any pillows
6. Take out par-baked dough and let it cool for however long you want on a cooling rack
7. NOW, put oven on BROIL HIGH - so that it heats the upper deck tiles for say about 5-10 min before putting in topped pizza.
8. Top pizza and put pizza on TOP rack and for about 5-6 minutes...this takes in the principal where the top of the oven needs to bake around 100 degrees hotter than the bottom... and it recrisps the bottom...just like in the city.

Take pizza out and wirk it ....  It's the most repeatable perfect method I have found. I hope it works for you. Let me know.  here are some pics.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 11:07:28 AM by briterian »

Offline briterian

Re: By Joe, I think I've got it.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 08:21:24 AM »
Pic 2 and 3

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 11:01:47 AM »
Brian,

The technique you described and showed seems to be a good one. It reminds me of a similar technique for crisping up a crust that was described by forum member quidoPizza at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1359.msg12978.html#msg12978 (Reply 11).

Can you tell me what size tiles you are using and the size of the pizza? I also noted what appears to be a staggered arrangement of tiles on the top oven rack position. It pretty much doesn't matter at this point because the pizza is already rigid by the time it goes onto the upper tiles, but are there a couple of tiles at the top left corner of the top rack?

Also, which particular version of the Lehmann dough formulation are you using that gave you the large rim ?

Peter

Offline briterian

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 11:14:31 AM »
Hi Pete,
I am using the standard quarry tiles from Lowes - unglazed. I think they are 4 inche squares. The only reason for having a odd arrangement on top was one of my tiles broke so I was left with an odd number and a missing corner.  I have a double 3x3 grid below and 8 tiles above in a single layer.

This was the last pizza of the night and the dough was actually sitting on my counter warming for about 5 hrs so that's the reason for the puffier rim, I believe.    The part we all loved was the french baguette texture and deep crust coloration we got with this method.

My dough formulation - for 2 14" dough balls:

Flour (100%):    573.37 g  |  20.22 oz | 1.26 lbs
Water (63%):    361.22 g  |  12.74 oz | 0.8 lbs
IDY (.25%):    1.43 g | 0.05 oz | 0 lbs | 0.48 tsp | 0.16 tbsp
Salt (2%):    11.47 g | 0.4 oz | 0.03 lbs | 2.39 tsp | 0.8 tbsp
Oil (1%):    5.73 g | 0.2 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.27 tsp | 0.42 tbsp
Sugar (1.2%):    6.88 g | 0.24 oz | 0.02 lbs | 1.73 tsp | 0.58 tbsp
Total (167.45%):   960.11 g | 33.87 oz | 2.12 lbs | TF = 0.11
Single Ball:   480.06 g | 16.93 oz | 1.06 lbs