Author Topic: Shakey's sauce recipe??  (Read 144784 times)

Offline ftlrico

• I'm a llama!
Re: Shakey's sauce recipe??
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2005, 02:56:42 PM »
I'm glad another Shakey-ite from CA. in the 80's has surfaced! PLEASE!, PLEASE!, PLEASE!, share the original sauce recipe!

Jim

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2005, 12:27:33 AM »
I still go to every Shakeys that I can find.  There is one in Oroville, CA, and couple in Bakersfield, CA, and multiple ones in the Los Angeles area.

I sure would love to be able to make my own from scratch at home, even if I had to have the ingredients shipped from out of state, it would be worth it.

Thanks, Jim

Rodney

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2005, 09:21:37 AM »
So do I!!!!! I've got the dough recipes, but not the sauce. You find the sauce, I'll supply the crust!!!

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2005, 08:10:05 PM »
So do I!!!!! I've got the dough recipes, but not the sauce. You find the sauce, I'll supply the crust!!!

Rodney,

Please share your dough recipes!  :)
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Dave

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2005, 04:44:20 PM »
Why did this fall apart ?
I remeber the Shakey's Pizza joint and the crust, sauce and the cheese ( wish I could find out what cheese or cheeses used)
Please respond anyone with the info!!!

Danny

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2005, 09:17:20 PM »
Shakey's was the absolute best pizza I have ever eaten, and what I strive to match when I make one.  I wish someone could come up with a recipe that was at least close.

Offline 007bond-jb

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza & Beer
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2005, 08:48:55 AM »
Today I'm going fishing with one of my old buddies who worked at a Local Shakeys .. I will get as mutch info as he can remember since this Shakeys closed in the mid 80s... Look for a follow up post tomorrow

Offline pftaylor

• Life's Short. Get Wood Fired Up!
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2005, 10:00:17 AM »
Bond.

James Bond.

Men want to be like him. Women want to be with him. Fish are afraid of him. What a great life.
Pizza Raquel is Simply Everything You’d Want.
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline 007bond-jb

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza & Beer
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2005, 08:01:12 AM »
Ok here is what I got...  The Baton Rouge Shakeys opened in the late 60's & closed in the late 80's My friends worked there in mid 70's they were all in their teens. a typical work shift had 3 pizza makers & 1 assistant manager. The pizza makers would make the sauce, build the pizzas cut em, plate em & callout you order #. The assistant mang. would mix & make the skins take orders & serve beer. On weekends sometimes the manager would help out when they were busy. All the ingredients came from a local food service supplier, NONE of them had Shakeys name or logo on them. A 50# bag  labled flour was the dough's not so secret recipe. The assistant mang. would simply use a large scoop to dump flour into the Hobart mixer then pour in water till IT LOOKED RIGHT!!! If he wasen't busy taking orders he would take it out & place the dough on the flour table by the sheeter. (if he was busy with customers it would mix longer otherwise soon as a ball formed the mixer was shut off) NO RISE TIME NO PROOFING. You'all need keep in mind this was a busy place. If they were out of 1 size skin he would only mix up enough to make what he thought would last through the shift or day. Back to the skin making, No measurement was used here either If he was making a medium he would cut off a hunk of dough maybe the size of his fist, a large was a fist & a half The dough was floured pressed into a rough shape then into the sheeter flour was added as needed during sheeting It was then cut to size and stacked on top prevously made skins with pre cut wax paper between & stacked on a pizza tray. If all wasen't used it would go into the cooler till the next day. Now for the sauce Hunts gallon size cans of tomatoe sauce was poured into a large rubbermaid garbage can along with a seasoning package that came from the food service supplier at  a ratio of 1 can Hunts to 1 pack seasoning. My buddie says the the finished sauce tasted close to Prego spagatti sauce. The 1/2  cup or so size mix bag had oregano onion & garlic powder parsly salt & pepper as well as a hint basil. My buddie is guessing here but he makes his own sauce that  taste just like Shakeys. He says he don't measure nothin "WE AIN"T BUILDIN NO NUCLEAR SUBMARINE HERE" we just makin a sauce. He also noted that they were all 70s teens sometimes they might forget to count how many cans or how many bags were added so each batch might be a little different. Keep in mind they would make the stuff 20 to 30 gallons at a time & stir with a big paddle. The sauce was made & kept in the walk in cooler they would laddle into the pizza building table sauce pans as needed. He also said the longer it sat the better it was. All the other fixin's were ready to use from the supplier exept the Hormel pepperoni that was sliced as needed with a deli type meat slicer. the sausage & burger was pre cooked as well. For the cheese he says Kraft pizza cheese is as close to what he can remember to Shakeys. In the 80's Shakeys corporate headquarters made them start measuring everything per pizza size. thats when they went downhill & ended up closing down here. I have a sauce recipe that I think tastes better than my buddies it is on the sicilian pizza sauce post stared by JimBob with photos. One more note my buddie insists that real secret was the gas fired brick ovens they were never tured off. at night they were set to a self clean setting & turned down to bake the next day. Bake = about 600deg. last night  I made a pizza using the above technique adding a light sprinkle of Mortons natures seasoning blend to the skin & brushing the top of the skin with olive oil. I set my oven to 700deg using 2 stones for thermal mass the pizza was fantastic!!! I will post photos as soon as I get off the camera
« Last Edit: June 13, 2005, 09:06:52 AM by 007bond-jb »

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2005, 09:18:14 AM »
Great post, lots of useful information! Thanks!!

Question about the dough. Just flour and water? No salt or yeast?
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline 007bond-jb

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza & Beer
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2005, 09:23:03 AM »
No salt no yeast just flour & water. I did forgetto add they used cornmeal on the bottom & sometimes during a cornmeal fight you might have gotten a pizza with meal on top too!

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2005, 09:28:37 AM »
Here's an interesting article about Shakey's from http://www.iridis.com/Shakey%27s_Pizza

Shakey's Pizza was the first important pizza chain restaurant in the United States and in many ways pioneered the concept of the chain pizza parlor.

Shakey's was founded in Sacramento, California on April 30, 1954 by Sherwood "Shakey" Johnson (1925-1998) and Ed Plummer. Johnson's nickname resulted from a case of malaria suffered during World War II. The first weekend the parlor opened, only beer was served, and Shakey took the profits from beer sales and bought ingredients for pizza the following Monday. The original store at 57th and J in Sacramento remained in business until the late 1990s. Shakey personally played dixieland jazz piano to entertain patrons, and that type of entertainment was a staple of the Shakey's experience well into the 1970s. Shakey's initially became known outside Sacramento not for its pizza but for the jazz program it sponsored on a regional radio network. Shakey Johnson is honored in the Banjo Hall of Fame in Guthrie, Oklahoma. for his longtime use of banjo music at his pizza parlors.

The second Shakey's Pizza Parlor opened in Portland, Oregon in 1956. Shakey's began franchising its restaurant to others in 1957. By the time Johnson retired in 1967, there were 272 Shakey's Pizza Parlors in the United States. The first international store opened in Winnipeg, Manitoba in 1968. By 1975, the company had expanded to the Pacific Rim, including Japan and the Philippines. The chain is now much bigger in the Philippines than in the United States.

Shakey's Pizza Parlors are noted for their unique features: The parlors are decorated in a variety of informal styles, traditionally having tables lined end to end the width of the dining room and seating provided on wooden stools. Some later designs included high tables and stools and stained and beveled glass designs. Parlors are usually decorated with antique-looking wooden signs bearing "Ye Olde Notice." Typical notices are "We made a deal with the banker. We don't cash checks, and he don't sell pizza" and "We have no quarrel with those who sell for less. They know what their product is worth." There is usually a window allowing children to watch the pizza being made. Family-friendly entertainment is still a staple at Shakey's, with many stores featuring large game rooms and featuring live performances by magicians and other entertainers on certain nights to attract business.

Besides pizza, Shakey's has developed other menu items into trademarks, including it's MoJo potatoes (breaded and deep-fried potato slices) and fried chicken. Most Shakey's restaurants incorporate a buffet, which is usually responsible for more sales than the ordering of whole pizzas. Its classic thin-crust pizza remains more popular than its deep-dish pizza, which was introduced in the 1970s and has a sweeter crust more reminiscent of pastries than pizza.

Shakey Johnson sold his half of the company to Colorado Milling and Elevator in 1967, which acquired Plummer's half the next year. Shakey's was again to Hunt International Resources in 1974. Two franchisees bought the chain in 1984, and they sold out to Inno-Pacific Holdings of Singapore in 1989. Most of the U.S. stores closed in the time Inno-Pacific owned the chain. Some of the remaining franchisees took Inno-Pacific to court in 2003. Before this could come to trial, Shakey's was sold to Jacmar Companies of Alhambra, California, in 2004. Jacmar had been the franchisor of 19 Shakey's restaurants.

The decline of Shakey's is a case study in franchise mismanagement worthy of a major business bestseller authored by some competent reporter. Shakey's has gone from 325 stores throughout the United States when the original owners left the company to 63 stores as of 2004, 55 of them in California. There are only four stores east of the Mississippi River: Springfield, Illinois; [[Warner Robins, Georgia., Janesville and West Allis, Wisconsin; and only four stores in the West outside California: Boise, Idaho; Nogales, Arizona, and two in suburban Seattle.

Most Shakey's restaurants closed not because of a decline in sales (although competition from delivery-based pizza chains such as Domino's and Pizza Hut has hurt Shakey's in-store sales) but because the franchisors (the owners of the Shakey's name and recipes) kept alienating franchisees by raising fees while at the same time providing a diminished level of benefit from franchising. As a result, many franchisees decided to convert their restaurants to copycats of Shakey's that offered a very similar menu but didn't have to pay royalties to Shakey's International. For example, the eight Shakey's Pizza Parlors in Minneapolis-St. Paul became Paesano's Pizza, and the four Shakey's in Bakersfield, California became Sharkey's. Unfortunately, this has the effect of alienating the customer base which comes to Shakey's for its unique and familiar pizza recipe, and most copycat stores close within a year. Even the original store in Sacramento closed in 1995, although this was due to a fire.

The new owner of the chain plans to revitalize it and expand in the USA beyond its California base by using techniques mastered by Krispy Kreme to gain maximum publicity when entering a new market; this will likely be easier for Shakey's than it is for Krispy Kreme, since so many people in those markets are familiar with Shakey's from the 1958-1994 period when it had stores in most American cities.

The chain currently has about 400 stores; 63 in the USA and the rest in Asia and the Philippines.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2005, 08:18:17 AM »
Has anyone tried making a cracker crust pizza with only flour and water (no salt, yeast, etc.)?

Offline 007bond-jb

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza & Beer
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2005, 01:12:51 PM »
I did & will post photos soon. I did add a lite sprinkle of Morton seasoning blend as well as brushing the top of the dough with olive oil. It came out great! You know that bag of flour that was mentioned in the above post, well it's unknown if it had salt or was say; self rising flour? I did drill my friend very well on the point of was the dough allowed to rise, He said no. It went straight from the mixer to the sheeter.
PS: No the mayo was not used in or on the pizza......Geeeezzz!!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2005, 12:53:31 PM by 007bond-jb »

Offline beerisgoodfood

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2005, 08:13:34 PM »
very interesting read on the demise of the great shakeys pizza.

that place was the best. as a teenager i lived by one and we would just chow on that buffet and play video games.

now that im 33 i want to do the same thing but there arent any shakeys  :'(

Offline ExShakeysMgr

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2005, 01:26:56 AM »
I was with Shakeys in Los Angeles for 20 years, until 1986.
There was a Shakeys franchisee, Jacmar Sales, 20 or so units.(they are also a supplier of pizza rest supplies)  At the end of last year they bought the Shakeys Company.   Things will be changing. 
Here is 2 stories on it.
http://www.pizzamarketplace.com/research.htm?article_id=19163&pavilion=136&step=story
http://biz.yahoo.com/ic/61/61485.html
Also google for Randy Hill Shakeys Pizza
« Last Edit: July 05, 2005, 01:33:43 AM by ExShakeysMgr »

Offline yonkiman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2005, 12:29:02 AM »
Any news?  Did all the hot leads fizzle out?  I WANT TO TASTE ORIGINAL SHAKEY'S PIZZA AGAIN BEFORE I DIE!

Offline IlliniPizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2005, 03:35:10 PM »
OH My God!

Bizarre Couple of Weeks!

In a post a while back, I said that I never realized how lucky I was to live around Chicago.  That became doubly true this week.

For about the last year.  I have been reading posts about Shakey's pizza, and their supposed sauce, but never heard of the chain, and have never tried it. so I never put much thought into it.

But while visiting my parents place in Belvidere, IL (near the Wisconsin border). I saw a girl I hadn't seen in some time, she worked in Beloit, WI  She and I decided to grab some dinner.  She told me about this place just north of where she worked in Janesville, WI.  She told me that her parents loved the place and when she was younger they went frequently.  So we go, and I notice the sign  Shakey's Pizza & Buffet.  I think back to Shakey's pizza everyone raves about on this site, and decided that there must be thousands of pizza places called Shakeys.  We eat and I don't give it a second thought.

We go in and they have about 5-6 different pizza's laying out buffet style, the place itself reminded me of a banquet hall with wood paneling and tables lined up like a church dinner.  Different.  The pizza was good, but I bypassed the thin crust because it was smothered in Cheddar Cheese, which I wasn't accustomed too.

Today I was going thru random topics, and checked Shakey's topic, and read down to one of Steve's posts, and he wrote a detailed history of Shakey's pizza, and that it was now called Shakey's Pizza and Buffet, known for their fried potatoes & chicken.  I was stunned!  I couldn't believe that this is the place everyone has been asking about for a year.  4 in the country!  I ate in one. 

Steve, it maybe a little while before I get back there, but I will buy a Shakey's thin crust pizza, get some sauce to go on the side, disassemble it and post some picks.  Also their kitchen is fully open and viewable to the restaurant.  I will get you any info you need.

In a related "I am the luckiest man alive segment".  I discovered last week that Grande Cheese is manufactured in Juda, WI just 30 miles away from my folks place.  Do you think I have a chance of finding a block around town?

I have a reason to live.  And its pizza!

Offline elsegundo

• Shakey's not stirrred
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2005, 04:54:17 PM »
A lot of interesting info about Shakey's  in general but not enough particulars.

Back to basics.  Shakey Johnson was trying to provide a pub meal to go with the beer and Dixieland music.
His style was a cracker like consistency similar to what you would have at a home party. A kind of meat and cheese on a cracker meal- not a huge meal.

What many posters are leaving out was the use of a sheeter. Techically it is called sheeted die cut.
Shakey's pizza was a sheeted dough that run through a Sheeter, possibly folded, and the cut with a round cookie cutter. Of course it was cut to 12 inches and various sizes. No hand toss. To duplicate the style use a pasta roller at home. Also, the dough was not just flour and water. It included yeast and shortening.  What someone is looking at is the dough pre-mix.  This is done commercially so that teenagers mixing up the ingredients at the parlor only have to add water.
     from Sacramento, deserted home of real pizza

Offline elsegundo

• Shakey's not stirrred
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2006, 04:18:29 PM »
Shakey's sauce is the following:

Tomato puree from vine ripened tomatoes
Dextrose
Salt
Spices
Garlic powder
Citric acid
Maltodextrin
Natural flavor
Sodium citrate

OK now you have the basic recipe straight from the company.  I see someone promised the dough if they received the sauce.
Tomato puree, sugar, basil and perhaps oregano, garlic powder, a tiny touch of citric acid (vitamin C).(lemon juice, tiny)

Check the cracker style section here for more.

pizzapan