Author Topic: Shakey's sauce recipe??  (Read 144352 times)

Offline stevenmhinde

• MMMM.....HAPPY JOES PEPPERONI
Shakey's sauce recipe??
« on: August 16, 2004, 05:11:52 PM »
Hello, I'm new to your forum and I was hoping someone here may have the recipe to Shakey's pizza sauce.  This would have been their 'older' style sauce that was from the mid/late 80's-very sweet and delicious!  I'm not sure why they EVER changed sauce recipes but the older sauce was excellent. Please help!!!  Thanks

rjfp

Re:Shakey's sauce recipe??
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2004, 07:51:49 AM »
your right shakey's had a great sauce.. try hunts meat flavored spageghetti sauce.. add a little onion powder and garlic powder less garlic powder.. i add a drop of olive oil  just because i can.. good luck

rjfp

Offline ftlrico

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2004, 12:07:36 PM »
My brother was a manager for Shakey's in Sacramento, and I was cook/beertender the end of the 70's through the 80's until it closed for good. He and I am also looking for the sauce recipe! The owner's names were Gary Brown and Jay Halverson. Any help would be appreciated, and many remembered recipes for original, thick-crust, Chicago-style, deep-dish, etc. can be given out by us.

thanx, ftlrico

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2004, 12:20:26 PM »
Please share the original thin crust recipe! Please!!  :)
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline ftlrico

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2004, 12:28:56 PM »
I will be seeing my brother this weekend, and will get the recipe from him and post it Monday, Nov. 1.

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2004, 12:42:24 PM »
Heck, recipes for ANY of the pizzas mentioned would be great.  I'd like to see the original and deep-dish recipes :)

Dave

Offline RedGreene

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2004, 01:43:26 PM »
I'm not sure if this helps at all, but I was searching the Hawkeye Food Service distribution website and found a few interesting things.  According to this site, Shakey's pizza uses a "Heinz" brand pizza sauce base.  I'm not sure how many Heinz sauces there are available, but I do know that my disributor(GFS) only carries one.   Hope this helps.

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2004, 02:23:59 PM »
Hmmmm, interesting...I tried some Heinz pizza sauce a while back that I found at a local grocery wholesaler...it wasn't too good :(

Offline RedGreene

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2004, 02:27:18 PM »

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2004, 03:05:28 PM »
I will be seeing my brother this weekend, and will get the recipe from him and post it Monday, Nov. 1.

Did you get that dough recipe yet?
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

DeBee

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2004, 12:05:32 AM »
The Pennsylvania Macaroni Company lists a Heinz product called Shakeys Sauce...   Hmmm, you might want to check that one out!

Offline RedGreene

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2004, 10:46:19 AM »
I just looked at their website and couldn't find any heinz product.  Do you have a link?  How did you find it?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2004, 11:59:51 PM »
I have a fairly recent listing of all the products sold by PennMac and was unable to find any Shakey's sauce offered by Heinz or anyone else.  I saw a Hunts pizza sauce, but not Heinz.

The best way to find out for sure is to just call PennMac at 1-800-223-5928 and ask for Rose.  She should be able to tell you whether the Shakey's sauce is something they sell.

Peter

DeBee

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2004, 06:22:51 PM »
My apologies.  What happens when you are surfing the web for pizza stuff late night??? :-[

I didn't see it at PennMac either.  I saw it on a spreadsheet like list of tomato products on a webpage that I have yet to find again...  I do have a memory of it being a Heinz product- made a mental note (should have made a favorites link).  I'm going to continue to look...

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2004, 07:26:22 PM »
My apologies.  What happens when you are surfing the web for pizza stuff late night??? :-[

I didn't see it at PennMac either.  I saw it on a spreadsheet like list of tomato products on a webpage that I have yet to find again...  I do have a memory of it being a Heinz product- made a mental note (should have made a favorites link).  I'm going to continue to look...

Was it this link:  ???

Here's the link to the website...

http://www.hawkeyefoodservice.com/products/keysearch.asp?PPSC=0040&PPC=036

DeBee

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2004, 10:41:54 PM »
I'll be damned! ::)

Yes, that is the link!  My memory isn't totally shot...

Thank you, Steve

Ponerspal

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2004, 07:41:56 PM »
I worked at a Shakeys in CA from 1980 to 1995. The original sauce recipe was made up from scratch, using canned tomato puree as the base. It was very spicy and distinct. In the early 80's, as the company began to expand, more of the products had to be purchased from distributors. Dough came in mixes, and sauce came in a bag in a box.

Ours was one of the original Shakey's, and we hung on until forced to move from the original recipes to the packaged product.. It was especially noticeable in the sauce, with the new sauce being quite bland.

It's been over twenty years, but I think that I have the original sauce and thin dough recipes. These would be the original full size recipes, and would have to be scaled down. But I was looking to see if the sauce recipe was online before comitting to the search.

Scott

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2004, 07:40:15 AM »
Scott,

Please share your recipes, I will be happy to scale them down.  :)

Steve

Offline stevenmhinde

• MMMM.....HAPPY JOES PEPPERONI
Re: Shakey's sauce recipe??
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2005, 12:10:14 PM »
Thanks for all your responses and efforts on the Shakey's sauce search!  I hope someone will come across this eventually and share their wisdom with us!  On a similar note: I have always thought that "Happy Joe's" pizza was excellent and very similar to the sauce that Shakey's used. Kind of sweet tasting!  If anyone knows the recipe secrets for Happy Joe's that would great! Thanks again,

Offline yonkiman

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Shakey's sauce recipe??
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2005, 06:35:57 PM »
I just found this thread, got more and more excited as I saw that at least one if not two respondents probably had the Shakey's ORIGINAL (drool!!!!) recipe, and then...nothing!

I definitely noticed the change in the 80s - I'd give anything to be able to taste an early Shakey's pizza one (or many) more time!

Fingers crossed for a response,
Fred