Author Topic: Another "My first Chicago style" thread  (Read 1505 times)

Offline sanchez

Another "My first Chicago style" thread
« on: May 31, 2007, 07:01:20 AM »
Finally made a chicago style pizza a few nights back.  I took a couple of pics but will have to upload them tonight.

Anyway, I used DKM dough recipe and made the pie in a cast iron skillet.  I did not use a stone.  I ended up baking the pie at 450 for 27 minutes.  The crust turned out wonderfully.  My biggest problem by far was getting the pizza out of the cast iron pan onto a colling rack.  I didn't want to let it cool in the pan iteself becaus eof teh residual heat from cast iron would've overcooked the pie.  It didn't stick or anything, it was just difficult getting a spatula under the pie and draggind it onto the rack without tearign it up.

I used King Aurthur AP flour, Poly-O whole milk Mozz, Ezzo Pepporoni, sweet itailian sausage, and Escalon 6-in-1 tomato sauce.

Overall I liked the pizza very much.  I'm still a NY pie lover first and foremost but these chicago style pies are pretty tasty.  The only thing I was not blown away by (and don't kill me for this) was the 6-in-1 tomato sauce.  I poured it directly from the can and added some oregano, crushed red pepper, and topped with parmesian cheese.  What I didn't like about it was that the end sauce on the cooked pizza had a dark red thick look to it similar to the sauce they use on Pizza Hut pizzas which I hate.  The taste was Okay but it didn't have that superfresh taste that I was expecting.  The 6-in-1's I used came directly from escalon and were packed in october 2006.  Considering I poured the tomatos directly from the can I didn't expect the sauce to get as thick as it did.  I guess thats one of the thing I definately like about NY pies over the chicago pies is that the sauce on NY and Neapolitan pies are much lighter and fresh tasting.  Maybe thats because it doesn't cook s long and it's not as expsed to the heat like it is in a chicago pie.

THe Ezzo pepperoni was great and I liked the poly-o cheese as well.  Just not blown away by the sauce.  I'll post a pic of the pie when I get a chance.

Offline loowaters

• Where's my knife and fork?
Re: Another "My first Chicago style" thread
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 09:27:32 AM »
Sanchez, sounds like it came off as a good first attempt and I'm looking forward to the pics. 

I know where you're coming from on the sauce, however, if it looks like Pizza Hut I'm not turned off but if it tastes like PH... 

I like the 6 in 1's but if I don't have any and haven't gotten around to ordering any I'll just grab some Cento or even Progresso tomatoes and hand crush and de-seed (a painstaking process) a couple cans for a pie and by doing this you can control the juice, puree, and chunk factor a little better yourself even though you probably won't find it as light as your NY style sauce due to the reasons you suggest.  You're no stranger to this game and I'm sure you'll figure out how to do it just the way you like it.

Loo
Using pizza to expand my waistline since 1969!

Offline sanchez

Re: Another "My first Chicago style" thread
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 08:48:26 AM »
Here are two pictures of the pie.  Unfortunately I took them with my ancient fuji 1 MP camera.  My good Canon is currently on vacation with my girlfriend.  I tried to take a pic of the sliced pie but it didn't turn out.