Author Topic: More things to do with leftover pizza dough - Fried Pies  (Read 6325 times)

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
More things to do with leftover pizza dough - Fried Pies
« on: June 02, 2007, 07:52:02 PM »
The latest in our series of good uses for leftover dough balls: Fried dessert pies.

The first photo shows a flattened dough ball with some cooked apples and some caramel on a calzone press.
The second shows a fried pie. I tired to drizzle with some more caramel, but it cooled so it ended up on top as a glob. Truly delicious, none the less.

These need to be fried hot and fast to keep them tender.

Bill/SFNM

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Stop me before I fry again!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 03:50:52 PM »
Had some more leftover dough balls, so I made some smaller ones this time using a dumpling/pit sticker press. This time I filled some with bittersweet chocolate. Others were filled with chocolate, caramel, and chopped peanuts. Very light and tender; they disappeared in a few moments.

Bill/SFNM

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
Re: More things to do with leftover pizza dough - Fried Pies
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 04:01:32 PM »
Bill,

I'm a huge dim sum fan.  Do you have a way to steam them instead of frying them?  I was going to make some gow out of pizza dough this week.

- red.november

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 04:09:07 PM »
Bill,

I'm a huge dim sum fan.  Do you have a way to steam them instead of frying them?  I was going to make some gow out of pizza dough this week.

- red.november

November,

Likewise, I am a huge dim sum fan. I made char shiu bao with leftover dough. Good, but not as soft and fluffy. I make har gow dough with pototo starch and wheat starch.

Bill/SFNM

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 04:17:03 PM »
Bill,

I'm debating whether to add rice starch water (from rinsing/soaking sushi rice) or just use regular water as I would with standard pizza dough.  I know the skin won't turn out as well without the added starch, but I'm curious to see if it's palatable.

- red.november

Offline grovemonkey

• Let's do it.
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 09:44:25 AM »
chocolate perogies.. oh god.. no!! you're killing me.. they actually look like chocolate gyoza or jaozi (chinese).  Fantastic!!  man..  apple spiced gyoza.. now there is somthing that you could sell in Japan.. got my business plan cooking up as I write this!!!

grove

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 10:08:30 PM »
I am a huge dim sum fan.

I was looking through USDA's resource list for elementary age students and found, "Dim Sum for Everyone!"

http://www.amazon.com/Dim-Sum-Everyone-Grace-Lin/dp/0440417708//?tag=pizzamaking-20

Those who have children (and possibly those who don't), and who love dim sum might want to check it out.

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/pubs/bibs/gen/fun_elementary.pdf

Offline kiwipete

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 02:44:47 AM »
Bill,

Just looking at your dumpling press made me think. Having read many of your posts here and also having had a bit of read of your blog, it struck me that you must have more cooking gadgets than some people have had hot dinners ...  :)

Sous vide gear and upmarket dough proofing cabinets are just a couple of things that come to mind immediately..  8)

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 04:39:46 AM »

you must have more cooking gadgets than some people have had hot dinners ...  :)

I can't deny I have a fondness for playing with gadgets. But in the kitchen, these things for me are nothing buttools, helping me produce a better meal. If it doesn't offer me some kind of meaningful advantage, it isn't in my kitchen. As I get older, I get increasingly demanding about these things.

brayshaw

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 05:37:37 AM »
They look great Bill :chef: :o
My wife has a seriously sweet tooth so I will make some of these very soon! Thanks for sharing.

Paul

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 11:15:54 AM »
Bill that looks fantastic! Some great ideas. I think part of the challenge with reusing pizza doughs for dessert is most of these doughs are light, sweet and not as chewy as pizza dough. I saw this and thought of some more good fillings: snickers bar, ice cream or even cherry pie filling.

My father used to make a flatbread style dough that was fried in elliptical shapes. It was then sauced with spaghetti sauce (not pizza sauce) and sprinkled with parmesan cheese. I recall that dough having a slight sweet taste to it, but perhaps something like that is ammenable to pizza dough as well.

With a fried dough scrap really the sky's the limit with what you can do. I like it! Thanks for sharing.