Author Topic: My Giordano's Style Pizza (with recipe and photos)  (Read 8722 times)

Offline johnson29630

• My Pizza
My Giordano's Style Pizza (with recipe and photos)
« on: June 04, 2007, 01:52:32 PM »
I grew up in Chicago and lived in the midwest (My favorite is Giordano's, but I enjoy a number of different Chicago locations, both thin and thick.) About 20 years ago I moved to South Carolina, and have been searching for a decent pizza ever since. I spent a lot of time experimenting with deep dish style pizzas. Recently someone directed me to pizzamaking.com, and I was in heaven!. The part I've struggled with the most was the crust, and I was lucky enough to run across some excellent Giordano's style crust recipe postings. I've adapted them, and can finally get a decent pizza in SC!

I've posted my recipe at: johnsonville.org/index.php?page=stuffed-pizza, with instructions and photos. Enjoy!

Exdit (2/18/14): For a corrected link, see http://johnsonville.org/index.php?ndx=101
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 11:24:00 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline Evietoo

Re: My Giordano's Style Pizza (with recipe and photos)
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 03:30:57 PM »
I usually just read and look at the photos, but I had to post to say your stuffed pizzas look fabulous !!! 

I'm more of a thin crust fan, and once I'm satisfied with making a good one of those, I'm going to try a stuffed pizza.  These look delicious. 

Offline Peterubers

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 05:42:45 PM »
Wow! I visited the link --> wonderful write up, your site is very well done with all your pictures, nice work!

The pizza looks fabulous, and your link is now in my favorites, as this recipe (your recipe and instructions) are on my radar for my next conquest for a stuffed pizza. 

<I have to get in the habit of checking out this forum AFTER i've eaten, because looking at the wonderful pics prompts me to get hungry WAY too soon>

Offline static4841

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 12:06:33 AM »
thanks for all the great infomation on your deep dish pizza.  I just have one question what kind of yeast do you use.

Thanks Bryan

Offline johnson29630

• My Pizza
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 07:02:13 PM »
I normally use Fleischmanns, either packets or the jar (marked for bread machine) from the local store's baking aisle.

Offline buzz

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 12:52:41 PM »
Giordano's greases their pans with just a little bit of butter. They use 6-in-1 tomatoes and Stella cheese, Also, you'd be better served by using a lower protein flour than the KA because you want the finished pizza to have a biscuit-like quality (Uno's even uses cake flour, but regular AP is good). They also probably have a 95% canola oil/5% olive oil combination.

Your recipe looks good! When I originally developed the authentic Chicago deep dish recipe for this forum I went through many failed experiments using various oil amounts, knead times, etc. and finally setlled on the ratio of 3 TBS (not tsp) oil per 1 cup flour and a short knead time (around 2 minutes).

pizzapan