Author Topic: caputo 00  (Read 1599 times)

Offline greydon32

caputo 00
« on: May 31, 2007, 09:50:07 AM »
I am looking at some caputo 00 flour but having trouble getting it in my area. Does anyone know what the protein and ash content are? Perhaps I can match it to something similar.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: caputo 00
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 10:25:39 AM »
greydon32,

If you can tell us where you live, we may be able to tell you whether the Caputo 00 flours are readily available to you in your area. Please also indicate whether you are willing to pay shipping charges to get the flour to you--from places like NY/NJ and Pennsylvania, and in some cases in 55-pound bags. Please also note that there are three Caputo 00 flours that are used to make pizza dough. I assume that you are perhaps most interested in the Caputo 00 Pizzeria flour that is the most popular among our members. Is that correct?

The specs for two of the Caputo 00 flours are given in this post: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2951.msg25328.html#msg25328 (Reply 17). The ash content is the “ceneri” number. I have not seen the detailed specs for the Caputo Extra Blue 00 flour, but the protein content appears to be around 9.5%. 

It is highly doubtful that you will be able to replicate the Caputo 00 flours using domestic flours or even other brands of 00 flours. Not all proteins in flour are identical, and their quality can vary widely. In the past, some people, myself included, have used combinations of domestic flour, including cake and pastry flours and all-purpose and bread flours, in an attempt to “replicate” 00 flours, but they are pale imitations. Moreover, now that the Caputo 00 flours are more widely available at the retail level, there is little reason to use such flour combinations.

Peter

Offline greydon32

Re: caputo 00
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 05:27:47 PM »
Thank you Peter. I am in NH. I know I can buy it on line but it costs as mush to purchase it as ship it. I am dealing with Performance Food Group and trying to find a way for them to stock and/or receive it for me.