Author Topic: Instant vs(?) Bread Machine Yeast  (Read 2319 times)

Offline spookygrinder

Instant vs(?) Bread Machine Yeast
« on: June 05, 2007, 05:19:14 PM »
After a year of proofing active dry yeast, I'm considering switching to the dry team.  I've been able to find Instant Yeast in packets, but in jars my only no-proofing choice has been labeled Bread Machine Yeast.  Is there a difference between the Instant Yeast in packets and the Bread Machine Yeast in jars?  Or in other words, has the label Bread Machine replaced the lable Instant, or do I need to keep searching for a jar of Instant rise yeast?  Also, I know all about proofing Active Dry yeast, so I don't need a lengthy description of that.  I just want to know if Instant and Bread Machine Yeasts are interchangeable in recipes.  Thanks!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Instant vs(?) Bread Machine Yeast
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 05:42:47 PM »
I just want to know if Instant and Bread Machine Yeasts are interchangeable in recipes.

spookygrinder,

The answer is yes. The bottled bread machine yeast usually contains ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) for better rising action. See http://www.breadworld.com/tipsterms/faq.asp.

Out of curiosity, can you tell me what brand of IDY you have found in packets?

Peter

Offline spookygrinder

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 03:07:26 PM »
The brand of instant yeast I've found in packets is Fleischmann's.  And I may have been referring to it wrongly.  The package actually says "RapidRise."  But because it doesn't require proofing and contains ascorbic acid, I think it's the same thing as Instant.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 04:04:17 PM »
spookygrinder,

I have had email exchanges with Fleischmann's on this subject and do not believe that the Rapid-Rise yeast, which is marketed to retail consumers only, is exactly the same as their other fast-acting yeasts but apparently is close enough to group them as such. The IDY typically sold to professionals does not include ascorbic acid.

If you plan to make a lot of pizzas, you might want to seek out the 1-lb. bags of IDY marketed to professional bakers, either the Fleischmann's brand or the SAF brand. That size bag is commonly available at very low cost on a per unit basis at the big box stores (Costco's and Sam's, for example) and, at a somewhat higher price by mail order. The cost per pizza will be far less.

Peter