Author Topic: tomato pizza  (Read 1301 times)

Offline grovemonkey

• Let's do it.
tomato pizza
« on: June 11, 2007, 07:26:35 PM »
so I got bored and made a few pizzas last night.  I bought this flour (japanese brand) that is simply evil.  I haven't figured out what is in the dough but everytime I use it for pizza the dough is extremely relaxed after done mixing and spreads out. It becomes very relaxed and is still too wet even using my standard recipes.  Anyways, enough of my dough making woes...  I didn't retard the dough in the refrig, most of the time  I am making and eating and this flour is such a pain I can't bother.  I included some photos.  Last night I made a crunchy crust with durum seminola, basil, garlic powder, salt and parm.  For a dough that just sat around for about 2 hours it came out ok.  The pizza is real basic.  Some tomato puree, parm and tomato slices.   if the dough wasn't so flimsy it would have formed a little better.  I suspect it would be quite good in a pan pizza, though.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: tomato pizza
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 07:32:31 PM »
grove,

Do you suppose the pizza mix you have been using is equivalent to the Chef Boyardee or Jiffy Mix pizza mixes sold in the U.S.? What you described seems similar. The finished pizza isn't quite as bad as many might think, especially in a pinch. Do you happen to have a translated version of the ingredients from the label?

Peter

Offline DWChun

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 08:53:58 PM »
I think it looks alright considering your description of how the dough handles, grove, hehe. I too wonder what is in the ingredients of this Japanese flour.

DW

Offline grovemonkey

• Let's do it.
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 10:33:40 PM »
the flour is one of the flours from a large flour company in Japan.  The flour is called Legendal or something similar and it's about 12.2% protein but it handles like no flour I've ever used before.  I don't believe it is any kind of mix.  I usually use 63% hydration with 300 gram of flour 194 gm of water. .4 tsp of ADY, 3g of honey and oil, 7g of salt... I had to add about another 10g of flour to make it somewhat easier to handle, it was still frighteningly soft.  The thing is that other brands of flour from the same maker do fine.. so I wonder why this one is acting odd.. (I'll do more research on this flour) I only got a few kilos of it but I'm thinking of mixing it with some really stiff flours that I've used before around the 14% protein content mark and see if the combination makes a dough that is easier to work with.  I really should take the time to translate the Japanese but there is nothing to indicate something strange about the flour.  hhmm.. I guess I'll just get a stiffer flour and mix it and see what happens. 

Pete, the dough actually peforms fine in my oven and it tasted good with the little crust stuff I made.  I think I figured out how to get more heat out of my convection oven, the bottom of the oven actually gets much hotter than the rest of the oven?!?!  there is a heating element on the bottom but not the top so that helps to heat up my stone quickly.

grove

ps.  I'll translate the information about this flour and post it just because now I am curious.

Offline MWTC

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 05:19:31 PM »
I bet it has alot of malted barley in it.

MWTC  :chef: