Author Topic: Another Giordano's Crust Question  (Read 3314 times)

Offline Ruminari

Another Giordano's Crust Question
« on: June 13, 2007, 03:44:30 AM »
I've been trying like crazy to replicate the Giordano's crust, but haven't had the best of luck.  My dough doesn't seem to be plumping up like a lot of others but rather stays thin and crispier.  I would love to have more plumpness to the dough.  What should I try changing up?

Recipe:
1.5 cup Flour
6 TBS water
1 tsp yeast
3/4 tsp Kosher salt
3/4 tsp sugar
6 Tsp oil

Need for 2-3 minutes total, usually leaving the dough kinda biscuity and flaky.  I then have tried letting the dough raise for 8 hrs at room temp and I have also tried just baking it straight away.  Found there really there is barely any difference in the two.  After it has risen for 8 hrs there really isn't any noticeable difference in the dough size, is this normal?

Tried baking in a Pyrex dish and in a spring form pan at 400 and 375 until cooked.

Any ideas on how to get the dough to rise more in the baking process so it plumps and I end up with a thicker crust?  I have also tried rolling it out a little farther and doubling it back over the edges, but that just made a really heavy & thick side wall and not very good.  I recently read that Buzz is now suggesting 3 TBS per 1 cup flour, could that be my sole problem?  Any other ideas?

Thanks ahead of time.

Offline chiguy

Re: Another Giordano's Crust Question
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 12:14:42 PM »
 Hi Ruminari,
 When volume measuring you can sometimes have inconsistencies, make sure you use a stir scoop and swipe method when measuring flour. Not sure how much 1TB of water weighs exactly but i would try to stay above 45% water to flour ratio. The more hydration should help reduce crispyness you may experience. also try experimenting with a few different dough weights/thickness factors.   Chiguy

Offline johnson29630

• My Pizza
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 06:41:12 PM »
I mix the flour and the (tepid) water and let it proof before adding it to the other ingredients. It should rise to a noticably larger volume after a couple hours. Another trick, I set the dough in the oven with the oven light on, that provides just a little heat to help the yeast along.

I only kneed enough to mix the ingredients well together. Also, be sure to add oil to the pan. Seems to really make a difference in the resulting texture, even though not really needed to prevent the dough from sticking.

See johnsonville.org/index.php?page=stuffed-pizza

That being said, a Giordano's crust does not 'plump' much. Most of the final pizza thickness is the 'stuff', not the crusts.

Edit (2/148/14): For a corrected link, see http://johnsonville.org/index.php?ndx=101
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 11:25:47 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline Ruminari

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 07:00:30 PM »
Fantastic thanks for the comments.  I'm probably going to be making some more pies next week so we'll give it a go then.

Offline Ruminari

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 07:31:06 PM »
Just an update.  I made the crust again this past weekend.  I made sure not to compact the flour in the cups and it seemed to make a difference.  The dough rather than biscuit like when making it was more like pizza dough.  Is that how it should be?  The results were a pretty good crust, however it wasn't quite as flaky as I would like.  Not quite Giordano's flaky.  What could I possibly be doing to make the crust loose it's flakiness? 

Thanks again.

Offline buzz

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 12:21:35 PM »
Ruminari--

Your recipe doesn't have enough oil. I originally developed the authentic Chicago deep dish recipe for this forum after many, many attempts. The correct ratio is 3 TBS (not tsp) oil per 1 cup flour. For the flakiness, remember to use a short knead (around 2 minutes).

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 11:12:45 PM »
What about trying a different kind of fat for your dough? Like lard or butter and as said keep the knead time 2 min or less if you can. Just a different direction for you to try. Some of the best flaky pie crusts and biscuits are made with lard or butter or both.  :D  If using butter or lard make your pizza crust more like a pie crust/biscuit and leave the fat in small pieces so the crust puffs/flakes up. Just a thought for you.  :) If I wanted to make a flaky pizza crust I myself would not use oil.  ;) handle the dough as little as possible, chill the fat before cutting it into the flour.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 11:39:48 PM by Bryan S »
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.