Author Topic: first attempt elite ny style w/kasl  (Read 2884 times)

Offline PIZZA4BREAKFAST

first attempt elite ny style w/kasl
« on: August 21, 2008, 08:55:25 PM »
(http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a113/mpfister/th_82108pizzakasl1.jpg)
(http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a113/mpfister/th_82108pizzakasl2.jpg)
(http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a113/mpfister/th_82108pizzakasl3.jpg)
(http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a113/mpfister/th_82108pizzakasl4.jpg)
(http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a113/mpfister/th_82108pizzakasl.jpg)

didnt know if i should keep posting in my first original thread but here we go, other than the "shape" (had a little problem off the pizza peel, LOL) it was almost perfect.

Flour (100%):    431.16 g  |  15.21 oz | 0.95 lbs
Water (63%):    271.63 g  |  9.58 oz | 0.6 lbs
IDY (.25%):    1.08 g | 0.04 oz | 0 lbs | 0.36 tsp | 0.12 tbsp
Salt (1.75%):    7.55 g | 0.27 oz | 0.02 lbs | 2.22 tsp | 0.74 tbsp
Oil (1.0%):    4.31 g | 0.15 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.96 tsp | 0.32 tbsp
Total (166%):   715.72 g | 25.25 oz | 1.58 lbs | TF = 0.082
Single Ball:   357.86 g | 12.62 oz | 0.79 lbs

I put salt and water in to mixer bowl on KA water was 58 degrees. I stirred with a spoon to mix. I added the flour/IDY to water and put on "stir" cycle for 2 minutes. I added oil and them on "stir" for 1 minute. Went to #4 and kneaded for about 6 minutes. Put back down to "stir" for 2 more minutes. Took out and hand kneaded for 30 seconds. Final dough temp was 78 degrees. dough bal was 353.?? for some reason though even with a 2.5 bowl residue. I didnt worry about a rim i just streatched it to whear it would go without tearing. (i dont think i could have ripped it). I seemed like it was probably 15.5 inches. (so i may need to cut recipe for my peel size)  8 minutes in a 550 degree pizza stone bottom rack 2 inches away from element. (and 3 inches away from the cheese that went overboard, lol) oh yeah 24 hours cold rise in fridge (probably 45 degrees) 2 hour bench rest before forming, at 66 degrees) KASL RULES!!!!! :-D

p.s. i went to a local "specialty italian" market in town here and got marinara sauce they make it was awesome (i will tackle that next) i bought a block (cut from a block) of mozz from them it starts with an 'A" and they cut the rest off, i like it way better than the polly-o. the only oter info I have is the bottom says packed in NJ. I will try to get the name next time I go.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 09:13:54 PM by PIZZA4BREAKFAST »

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
Re: first attempt elite ny style w/kasl
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 01:29:46 AM »
P4B,

I know what you must be going through...the Pizza Peel Battle!  8)

I had the same problems in the beginning, mainly that I let the skin rest for too long on the peel, took my time topping the pie while on the peel or the peel wasn't prepped right, etc. I'm talking about a wooden peel, not metal or aluminum.

It all resulted in frustration when it stuck to the peel with toppings going everywhere, skins got torn or were deformed. I tried different peel preparations, from a lot of flour to cornmeal to semolina flour to prevent the skin from sticking to the peel.

Until I read a baking cookbook, which suggested that when you first get the peel, to use a finer flour and cover the entire peel, well...not the entire peel, only the surface the pizza will be sitting on - against the grain of the wood - tab/shake off the excess flour and be fast with the toppings, once you transfer the skin onto the peel.

Here's what I do...

1. Stretch skin to desired thickness on countertop
2. Give peel a light dusting
3. Transfer skin onto peel and sauce it
3. Top with favorite toppings (45 secs or less)
4. Give peel a quick jerk to insure skin's not sticking
5. Load into oven

Hope that helps a bit...

« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 01:31:44 AM by Essen1 »
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline PIZZA4BREAKFAST

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 07:10:57 AM »
Thanks Essen I will try your suggestions, I hope to make one tonight. I really need a wooden peel , this was on a metal peel (1/2 the problem)

Offline Art

• la pizza la mia vita!!
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 08:49:07 AM »
I hate to sound like a broken record but, whenever I read of someone having problems with a peel, I feel "compelled" to recommend the SuperPeel. It works exactly like they say it will and there is no muss or fuss with cornmeal, etc. Check it out and be sure to watch the video. Art
http://www.breadtopia.com/store/super-peel.html
When baking, follow directions.  When cooking, go by your own taste.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 08:53:33 AM »
Art,

Out of curiosity, what is the largest size pizza that you can make with the SuperPeel, or do they come in different sizes?

Peter

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 09:04:15 AM »
Marc,

I'm willing to bet that your problem was using a metal peel for a 63%, one-day old dough. Until you get a wooden peel, or a SuperPeel like Art recommends, you will probably be better off using a piece of cardboard as a peel. Just be sure to dust it with a release agent like semolina, cornmeal, rice flour, etc.

Another possibility is to use a sheet of parchment paper trimmed to a size slightly greater than the size of the pizza (so it doesn't burn in the oven) and yank it out of the oven when the pizza sets. Or just leave the parchment paper in the oven until the pizza is done.

Peter
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 09:41:15 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline Art

• la pizza la mia vita!!
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 09:29:37 AM »
Art,

Out of curiosity, what is the largest size pizza that you can make with the SuperPeel, or do they come in different sizes?

Peter

The cloth portion measures 13"x14", the wood part is 14"x14". I usually make 14" pies and, once on the peel, I pull out the "corners" to make an, almost square, 14" pizza.   Art
When baking, follow directions.  When cooking, go by your own taste.

Offline Fingerstyle

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 02:22:04 PM »
I hate to sound like a broken record but, whenever I read of someone having problems with a peel, I feel "compelled" to recommend the SuperPeel. It works exactly like they say it will and there is no muss or fuss with cornmeal, etc. Check it out and be sure to watch the video. Art
http://www.breadtopia.com/store/super-peel.html

Superpeels are a little tricky on high-temp ovens, LBEs (or grills where Superpeel cloth ignition is a possibility.)  >:D  I use one to assemble the pie on - great for extending the time for that without a worry about sticking.  Then when ready, xfer to a wood peel and off to the races.
"... I say we ride some gravity." - Patrick Rizzo http://vimeo.com/1654340

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 02:52:38 PM »
One of the advantages of the SuperPeel that perhaps doesn't get enough credit is that it is likely to keep people making pizzas, whereas someone who has an early failure or two in loading pizzas into the oven with a regular peel might give up pizza making entirely. Also, Art uses a bread maker to make his dough. That is also something that can have value to someone who has had problems making dough in a stand mixer or by hand. And the 14" pizza size is a good standard size for just about any type of pizza. Overall, I would say that Art's methods remove most of the risks of making pizzas.

Peter

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 03:03:40 PM »
SuperPeel - great idea, wish I had thought of it. With that being said, I suspect that millions before us learned to use a regular peel with aplomb. It just takes a few failures and learning a few of the tricks. If I did not already have enough gadgets I would buy one to try it out in spite of my wanting to do it the old fashion way. I actually would more likely use it for bread than pizza.

Would accept it as a birthday gift! LOL

PNW

Offline Avumede

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 09:52:38 AM »
Actually, just use a regular pizza peel but put your pizza skin on parchment paper, which you bake on.  It's cheap and very effective.

pizzapan