Author Topic: How to dry out Buffalo Mozz?  (Read 2820 times)

Offline steampie

• mmm.....pizza
How to dry out Buffalo Mozz?
« on: June 21, 2007, 07:36:25 AM »
Apologies if there are threads on this, but I did a search and came up with nothing.

I am very fortunate to live within 10 minutes of multiple sources of different types of Buffalo Mozz. here in Southeast London, and I frequently use it on my pizzas.

The only problem I have is that it makes the pizza too watery.  At the moment, I am squeezing it out, slicing it, and then putting it between a few paper towels for at least an hour before cooking, but it still retains too much water.  There is no chance of me shredding it either, it would just fall apart.  Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Sam

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: How to dry out Buffalo Mozz?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 08:03:16 AM »
Sam,

A few members tried out the method of reducing the liquid content in fresh mozzarella cheese as described in this thread: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4551.msg38262.html#msg38262. I don't know whether the method will work, or how well it will work, with buffalo mozzarella.

Peter

Offline steampie

• mmm.....pizza
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 10:09:36 AM »
Thanks very much for the reply Peter.  I will be picking up some Buff. Mozz. tomorrow for pizzas tomorrow night, and I will give this method a try.

Sam

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 11:20:14 AM »
Sam,

You might also want to do a forum search on methods that scott r has used to dry buffalo mozzarella cheese. He has done a lot of work on that problem. As an example, see this post: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2294.msg21393.html#msg21393

Peter
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 11:24:43 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 11:29:02 AM »
Sam, The fresher the cheese you buy, the less water it will have soaked up, so the main problem is probably your source.  I open my package as soon as I buy the cheese, then let it hang in a cheese cloth in my fridge.  Make sure to put a container below the cheese to capture the water that will drain out. About two hours before I want to use the cheese I slice it and lay out the slices on a stack of paper towels, maybe 8 on each side of the cheese.  The key is to wait until they are soaked through and replace the towels again and again with fresh ones.   eventually the water will stop wicking through. Sometimes I need to replace the towels once, and sometimes four or five times depending on how fresh the cheese was when I purchased it.  

You might want to go to a local pizzeria or restaraunt that uses buffalo mozzarella and ask them if you can buy it from them.   These establishments tend to get the cheese once a week, and pretty much direct from the manufacturer, so the cheese can be just over a week old. With cheeese this fresh it is possible to skip the paper towels all together.  Unfortunately, here in the US most grocery stores sell buffala that is a month old or more.  

Good luck!

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 11:38:23 AM »
Using cheese cloth as scott r has described is the method I would recommend.  It's amazing how much cheese cloth gets overlooked when considering options to reduce moisture in cheese.

- red.november

Offline steampie

• mmm.....pizza
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 04:32:27 PM »
Excellent, I can't tell you how much I appreciate the advice.  I know that the Mozz. is quite fresh as I have spoken with the vendor (I buy it at a stall in Borough Market, and they bring it over from Italy a day or two before).  The cheesecloth method will definitely get a trial tomorrow.  Thanks again!

--->Just an update to say cheers again for the advice.  I did the aforementioned steps, and it worked like a charm.  Once I sliced up the cheese, it probably soaked through a dozen paper towels, but the finished product was perfect for pizza.  Plus it didn't hurt that it had arrived that morning from Italy after being made earlier in the week!

Of course, I had my second batch of frustrating dough in a row (gummy spots, not nearly airy enough  >:(), but that's for a different section of the forum. 
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 03:04:57 AM by steampie »