Author Topic: You guys read this"Creating Perfect Pizza Crust" site?  (Read 1734 times)

Randy G

You guys read this"Creating Perfect Pizza Crust" site?
« on: August 20, 2004, 03:38:48 PM »
This is the one I'd refer to before I discovered this one. Any thoughts on what she says?

http://www.taunton.com/finecooking/pages/c00002.asp

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re:You guys read this"Creating Perfect Pizza Crust" site?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2004, 06:01:00 PM »
Randy G.,

The basic dough recipe that Ms. Chanler presents at the Taunton site is what I consider a generic, middle-of-the-road, one-size-fits-all kind of recipe.  That is fine if you are trying to sell books to people who only have all-purpose flour and active dry yeast in their pantries, little or no kitchen equipment (like stand mixers, processors, pizza stones, pizza screens, etc.) to use to make pizzas, and don't want to be bothered with anything that smacks of complexity.  More serious home pizza makers, like those that haunt this forum, usually have several kinds of flours on hand, from low-protein to high-protein/high-gluten flours, and multiple forms of just about all the other ingredients necessary to make good pizza dough.  They also have dough recipes (usually coming out of their ears) that are targeted to different styles of pizza doughs--from Neapolitan, New York style, cracker-style, deep-dish, and variations in between--that require their own unique formulations and processing techniques and baking aids.  Following Ms. Chanler's dough recipe will produce pizzas of varying thickness and texture, and they may well satisfy most palates, but it is doubtful, at least in my mind, that they will rise to the level of the pizzas made by the more serious and dedicated home pizza maker who is willing to go the few extra steps to try to get to the land of pizza nirvana.  

What I did like about the article is that Ms. Chanler appears to have a good grasp of technique, that is, understanding how the various ingredients of pizza dough can be brought together, manipulated and modified (including the use of a simple sponge) to achieve specific end results.  I also like the fact that she shows one how to make a pizza dough by hand, since not all home pizza makers have access to the types of machines that many of us have.  Since Ms. Chanler studied at the New York Restaurant School and the Cordon Bleu in Paris, it looks like she learned her lessons well.  

Peter

pizzapan