Author Topic: Observations on Neopolitan Pizza May '07  (Read 6066 times)

Offline pizza concerto

• Lifetime Member
  • ...so much pizza, so little stomach...
Re: Observations on Neopolitan Pizza May '07
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2007, 10:19:37 AM »
Hi Barry and Bill,

Point well taken...out of laziness, I prep my pies indoors, and then bring them out to cook, the fire needs to be a prime consideration.  When i was taught to use my oven, (Maurice at Earthstone) he had me spread the coals out on the floor, before I put a new pie in, and then move them to the side. Next, I wrap a damp towel around my brush. and clean the floor cooking area of ash or ember.  Putting those coals there really gets the floor temp up, but the damp towel brings it down slightly.  Have you seen this done? Or is it better to start the fire on the side, and leave it all there?  

Dan
"Only Irish Coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar, fat." -- Alex Levine

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2007, 10:26:56 AM »
I've learned a lot from Maurice and JP, but I don't use their method when baking Neapolitan pizzas. I do not mop the deck, but instead use a brush to clean off any ashes between pies.

Bill/SFNM

Offline Barry

• Pizza Passion Perserverance
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2007, 11:16:30 AM »
Hi Dan,

I make my fire and leave it on the side.

When some ash finds it's way onto the cooking surface, I just "bang" my peel on the floor at the central cooking area, and this action seems to get all the ash to suspend itself, and the heat seems to expel it up and out through the chimney. Try it next time.

Kind regards.

Barry in Johannesburg, South Africa

Offline pizza concerto

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2007, 11:27:55 PM »
Hi Barry,

Thanks, I'll give that a try this week.  Do you bang the peel flat on the oven floor?...also, what were the pizzerias you visited here in the U.S.?  I'm off to Phoenix this weekend for my first run-in with one of Bianco's pies. (my family probably won't be speaking with me after I subject them to a 3 hour line in 120 degree heat.)

Best,

Dan
"Only Irish Coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar, fat." -- Alex Levine

Offline Barry

• Pizza Passion Perserverance
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2007, 09:01:35 AM »
Hi Dan,

Man, am I jealous about your visit to Chris Bianco this week-end !

In New York I visited Luzzo's, A Mano (New Jersey), UPN, Grimaldi's and Naples 45. All of them topped anything here in South Africa.

Yes, I just bang (slap) my peel against the oven floor to expel any ash/dust.

Kind regards.

Barry

Offline pizza concerto

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2007, 02:12:13 PM »
I'm having another lucid moment of my recent trip, and recall a particular wine which was paired with the Neapolitan pizzas in Naples called "Gragnano".  It has been difficult to find this here, but it's a carbonated red wine made from piedirosso grapes in the Penisola Sorrentina region of Campania...serve chilled, it is a frothy, cold, fizzie companion, not unlike pairing a good beer with your pie!   Some say its the perfect beverage to accompany pizza, and upon my first sip, I thought this insane, but I am now on a quest to find it here in the U.S...

I ordered it thru Calvert Woodley in D.C., but I'm not certain this is the same as I had in Naples.  The only other wine store I could find that sometimes carries it is Vino in NYC...I wonder if anyone else was exposed to this unique pairing with their Neaplolitan pizza?

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2007, 05:06:19 PM »
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline pizza concerto

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2007, 05:17:00 PM »
Thanks David, I tried but they only sell locally at present...I'm in L.A....thanks for the thought though!  Have you tried this stuff?

Dan

Offline David

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2007, 05:31:48 PM »
No, I usually stick with fanta/san pellegrino orange or beer.My favourite red at the moment is Salice.
David

BTW Check wholefoods,I think they may carry it.
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2007, 02:11:21 PM »
funny enough I had a bottle today in the office.....

Gragnano is made by a blend of many minor local varieties which include piedirosso.

It doesn't keep well and should not be aged... a 2004 is already too old...

Offline David

« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2007, 09:44:48 PM »
http://www.winethatloves.com/

From someone who knows a lot more than me about wine..................

For consumers who aren't interested in delving into a wine's expressiveness or pinpointing whether a Mourvèdre's hints of blackberry are outweighed by its overtones of black pepper, what matters most is how well the wine goes with their food. Making it as simple as possible, the Amazing Food Wine Company has launched a fool-proof line of Wine That Loves. Each wine is specifically suited to one dish, which leaves no room for error; these are wines that singularly 'love' pizza, grilled salmon or pasta with tomato sauce. The dishes were chosen based on popularity in American households.

Wine That Loves takes the guesswork out of food and wine pairing, while promising "world-class quality, distinctive character and winning style that will also delight wine aficionados." The wines were picked and paired by Ralph Hersom, a wine expert and professional wine taster, who was Wine Director at New York's Le Cirque restaurant for seven years.

pizzapan