Author Topic: Crispy Crust Recipes - A Question!  (Read 1405 times)

Offline ninya

Crispy Crust Recipes - A Question!
« on: June 22, 2007, 06:16:28 PM »
http://www.pizzamaking.com/pizzainnstyle.php

I refer to the above link, as yesterday I tried making this kind of dough recipe, not this one, but one almost the same, and as it says here, it was so dry and not even all the flour mixed into the dough.

I assumed I'd done something wrong and added more oil and water. then realising that I shouldnt have done that, I discarded the dough, and tried a different recipe.

If you mix up this dough and as I found, it ends up dry and scrappy and not even all the flour is mixed in due to lack of moisture, how do you roll it out to fit the pan???

I dont understand how this could work??

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Crispy Crust Recipes - A Question!
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 06:33:15 PM »
If you mix up this dough and as I found, it ends up dry and scrappy and not even all the flour is mixed in due to lack of moisture, how do you roll it out to fit the pan???

I dont understand how this could work??

ninya,

You indicated in another post on another thread that you donít have a machine to knead dough. The recipe you referenced, for a cracker-style dough, is not one that can be practiced using hand kneading. You really need a machine. For some background on the cracker crust pizza you referenced, see http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,105.0.html and http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,779.0.html.

Peter

Offline ninya

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 06:44:11 PM »
Thanks again Pete, thats right, I dont have a pizza mixer.

I read that thread, and noticed that DKM said he added water. Would it be right to say, that without a mixer, I could just add more water, or does this effect the outcome and the taste negatively?

thanks  :-\

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 07:11:16 PM »
ninya,

A dough made using the cracker dough recipe you referenced has a hydration (the weight of water in relation to the weight of flour) of only 36%. That is a low hydration figure as hydration figures go (e.g., A New York style dough can have a hydration of 62% or more). However, at 36%, you should be able to roll out the dough, dress it and bake it. If you increase the water content, you most likely will have to either roll out the dough in a way that creates multiple layers (to create the crispy/cracker texture) or dock and pre-bake the crust before dressing and finishing the bake. If you just roll out the dough and dress it without going through one or the other of the two methods just mentioned (or some other alternative), you are unlikely to get a good cracker texture. You may get the crispy, crackery texture at the rim, but those effects will diminish as you move toward the center of the pizza, where the crust may be soft and maybe a bit limp. I am not an expert on cracker crusts (I don't recall ever having one in a commercial setting), but from what I have read, a cracker-crust slice should be rigid throughout when you hold it out straight, not just at the rim. Adding more water is not likely to alter the taste of the crust, just the texture.

Peter

Offline ninya

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2007, 08:32:41 PM »
Thanks again Pete zza  :) :-*

I made another, and more successful pizza than the first attempt yesterday....(good grief, where has this forum been all my life?? :-*) and used the same pizza dough recipe that I posted in the other thread.

I rolled it out very thin, and got a very nice, thin crust. Im very happy with it, and recommend that pizza dough recipe!!  :pizza: :chef:

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2007, 09:03:52 PM »
ninya,

Is the recipe you are referring to the one at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5264.msg44729.html#msg44729 (Reply 8)?

If so, was the baked crust cracker-like or was it soft? And did you dock and pre-bake the dough?

Peter

Offline ninya

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2007, 11:02:40 PM »
yes thats the one Pete.

The first time I used it, I rolled it too thick, and it ended up around 5mm thick or maybe a touch more, and it was half soft, half crisp, I guess you'd describe it as a "classic" crust. Not a thick crust, not soft, and not thin and cracker like either.

Yesterday when I rolled it very thin, it ended up as a thin crust. No more than about 3mm thick when cooked, and very nice. I wouldnt necessarily say it was "crunchy" but is was just a nice thin crust.

I docked prior to cooking, and also par baked for around 4 mins.

however, my only complaint was that I probably had my oven a little too high at 220 celcius, and took the pizza out after 10 mins as the top was totally ready - browned up and couldnt take any longer. However, I think that if I'd had the oven at 200C and left it in for another 5 minutes, I would have had a better result with the crust, which whilst it was cooked thru, it obviously should have been in for a little longer. The slice drooped slightly in the middle when held and I could see that the crust was only just cooked. If that makes any sense.

I didnt let the dough sit, or put it in the fridge. So maybe I would have got an even better result if I had. However I was very happy with yesterday's result.

I would love to have posted up some pics, but that will have to wait for future attempts, when I have my camera.

I'll say again, that pizza sauce recipe that's under the dough recipe, that you refer to Pete, needs to be watered down to use as a pizza sauce. As is, it's quite gluggly and thick, and I feel that a pizza sauce ought to be of a tomato sauce (or what you call Ketchup) consistency. I added some water, and mixed thru to achieve this consistency and it was lovely.

I must say, this sauce is perfect with pasta!!!