Author Topic: Pizzakaya in Roppongi/Tokyo  (Read 1445 times)

Offline grovemonkey

• Let's do it.
Pizzakaya in Roppongi/Tokyo
« on: June 26, 2007, 12:17:35 AM »
As a part of my continued obsession with finding pizza shops in Tokyo.  I found a western style (California) shop called Pizzakaya (http://www.pizzakaya.com/).  The shop has changed owners but it's still fairly popular with westerners and the location is ideal for the foreigners looking for pizza. 

The place has been open for over 10 years so they must be doing something right.  They have two sizes a medium and a large.  The medium is good enough for 2 Japanese, easily.  The shop has this very big deck oven that looks out of place in the small shop.  They start all the pizzas on oiled pans and dress the dough in the pan and then after about 8-10 minutes they take the pan off for the crust to finish.  When I saw the pizza, I thought, mini-chicago style or some tweaked out pizza hut pan pizza.

Personally, I thought the pizza was OK.  My home set up cranks out a better overall tasting pizza, I'm certain.  Though I concede their pizza crust looks better than mine because they were able to get a nice browned crust without burning the mozz. cheese.  The fact is that it's not a bad pizza, but for the price, I'm probably more inclined to go with a larger chain like Pizza-La or Domino's for a western style pizza.  The 10 inch basil tomato mozz is definitely not worth 17 USD.   On the bright side, they have a huge menu so hopefully they have some more popular pizzas-I'm particular curious about the homemade sausage. 

grove