Author Topic: Pizza sauce...  (Read 3112 times)

Offline Jackitup

Pizza sauce...
« on: June 27, 2007, 01:54:48 PM »
Hi everyone,
Been lurking here and soaking up alot of info. I've found a place here in St Paul (I live in Hastings, MN) that carries Stanislaus Full Red and also has a brand called Pastorelli Pizza Sauce. Haven't found anyone that carries the Escalon brands yet. Any comments??
Thanks
Jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline pizzoid

• Lifetime Member
  • A Hideous, Addictive, substance dependency
Re: Pizza sauce...
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 08:26:17 AM »
Hi everyone,
Been lurking here and soaking up alot of info. I've found a place here in St Paul (I live in Hastings, MN) that carries Stanislaus Full Red and also has a brand called Pastorelli Pizza Sauce. Haven't found anyone that carries the Escalon brands yet. Any comments??
Thanks
Jon

"Stanislaus Full Red" covers about 6 to 8 different products, and "Pastorelli Pizza Sauce" covers two.........!

I used the Pastorelli green label for years, and consider it above average for a canned pizza sauce. I can't remember the differences, just that there was also a version with a more orange/yellow label.

The Stanislaus Full Red Fully Prepared pizza sauce is good, if it's just the Full Red Pizza Sauce you'll have to thin it and spice it. In the food service world "pizza sauce" doesn't mean it's ready to go, just that it's a very thick tomato puree.

- Al

Offline JAG

• The passion of the crust!
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 11:22:19 AM »
Jon,

If you can find Stanislaus Pizziaolo sauce, it is pretty good, I use it exclusively, with no doctoring. It is already slightly seasoned, and the seasonings are on the side of the can for reference.
I can get Escalon products from my local Gordon Food Service store in central Ohio. If you have a GFS near by, you may want to check them out. I also believe that you can order sauces from the Escalon web sight, which may be better in that I believe you can get smaller than #10 cans, but shipping may be a little pricey.?
http://www.escalon.net/default.aspx
John

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 04:40:55 PM »
Thanks for the input guys, this is what I'm doing after I'm done typing. Just got back from the Restaurant Depot and they had #10 cans of Pastorelli's Pizza sauce, Stanislaus's Full Red Pizza Sauce, and Stanislaus's 7/11 ground tomatoes. Both myself and my bride of 29 years Rosie, liked the Pastorelli the best (using the finger dip method) but agreed both the Pastorelli and the Stanislaus Full Red needs a little thinning so I'm going to combine the both with the 7/11 ground tomatoes in a 4 gallon plastic bucket and add water if needed and freeze as is in ziplock quart bags. That way I can play with smaller batches and work on seasoning and flavor from pie to pie. I'm a regular poster on Ray Basso's BBQ Forum (bbqforumcom) and I can see you guys take pizza every bit as serious as all of us bbq nuts. Very good forum here and I'll be doing alot of reading and soaking up info in your archived posts. I've been using Tom Lehman's NY Style thin crust and like it alot but tonite I'm going to try the cracker style crust that some one here modified from Tom's recipe. It will have a 12-14 hour proof on it so we'll see how it turns out. I like a thin, chewy, sturdy crust as my pies are usually generous on the toppings, similar to a local place in St. Paul, MN, Red's Savoy Pizza, arguably some of the best I've ever had. I'll try and post the results and maybe a pic or 2 later.
Thanks,
Jon

Offline pizzoid

• Lifetime Member
  • A Hideous, Addictive, substance dependency
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 04:46:14 PM »
DON"T add water if you plan on freezing it! Freezing will make it more watery, and you'll probably get the thinness you want that way. You can always thin it later.....

- Al

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 05:03:02 PM »
Just finished mixing it all up and was thinking the same thing, I'll add liquid to each smaller batch if needed. Things always get a little watery when froze/thawed. BTW tastes pretty good so far, nice, bright tomato taste and I think just thick enough. Wife's at the store so I'll have her give it a dip when she gets home.
Jon