Author Topic: Picture Request  (Read 1330 times)

Offline UnConundrum

Picture Request
« on: June 30, 2007, 02:57:23 PM »
Unfortunately, there are no Neapolitan style pizzerias anywhere near me in rural PA.  During a recent visit to Montreal we went to a pizzeria touted as being really authentic.  Supposedly the owner spent two years studying in Italy, and a rather well known baker, James MacGuire, consulted in adjusting the local flours to approximate those available in Italy. The wood fired oven was imported as well.  This was my first experience, and I have to say I was disappointed.  I observed a strong burnt flavor that did NOT compliment the product, and the bottom of the crust was very pale and limp, except for some small burnt spots.  I understand that the super hot ovens will cause these dark areas, but I was surprised at how limp the slice of pizza was. 

You guys have been great in other threads with pictures of side cuts and the top of the pizza, but I can find very few pictures of the bottom of the ultimate pizza.  Could someone post some pictures of what the bottom should look like?  Thanks a bunch in advance.

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
Re: Picture Request
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 05:11:05 PM »
I posted some pics in this thread.Keep in mind that neapolitan is not a pizza to be eaten by the slice.It should be soft ,pliable and folded "Like a book" if eaten by hand.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3748.msg31232.html#msg31232
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 05:15:04 PM by David »
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline ratana

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Picture Request
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 10:38:48 AM »
Hi, it is possible that you may be underwhelmed by true Neopolitan Pizza if you are used to the overflavored pies and NY style - "crisp crust" that many grow up with... it's not that it's an acquired taste, it's more a different, higher "tier" of pizza... to really appreciate it "in context" I personally consider it a different class of food and so I judge it among its own class instead of against Americanized pizza, since it is almost like apples and oranges in a way for the most part...

For me, Neopolitan Pizza is a very simple food cooked at an extreme temperature... the flavors of all the ingredients come out fully due to the high heat, and it is a fine example of Italian cooking philosophy: quality and simplicity.  The dough should have the leopard char spots you mentioned, but not be crisped up.  It is possible that you are not liking the smoky taste, I have friends who do not appreciate that at all.

pizzapan