Author Topic: DanBSCD's Forno Bravo Modena Twister  (Read 3441 times)

Offline DanBSCD

• Pay it forward.
    • FireLight Pizza & Pasta
DanBSCD's Forno Bravo Modena Twister
« on: July 01, 2007, 11:33:40 AM »
Welcome, Daniel! Where will your pizzeria be located? What kind of oven?

Bill/SFNM on: Today at 09:25:02 AM

Hi Bill.  Thanks for the welcome.  My pizzeria will be located in St. Bonifacius, MN.  Right now I'm looking at a wood/gas fired Forno Bravo oven called the Modena Twister   -- ever heard of it?  I'm told it's been in use in Naples for about 15 years.  A bit spendy but will allow me to get to 850+ degrees and quality of crust/done-ness I'm looking for along with a quick turn time.

Dan'l

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: DanBSCD's Forno Bravo Modena Twister
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 06:14:39 PM »
Daniel,

I'm not familiar with that particular oven. There are some, perhaps myself included, who think somewhat higher temps (~925F-1000F) are better for a more authentic Neapolitan pie. I can say that the particular brand of flour I use and the hydration I prefer does not do well in my oven at 850F. It takes too long to cook and the soft delicate texture can be quickly lost. FWIW.

Bill/SFNM

Offline sourdough girl

• First the bread, NOW the pizza dough!
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 03:52:56 PM »
Hi, Daniel!

I'm not sure why I decided to read this post since I cook pizzas at home, but I'm glad I did because my brother lives in St. Bonifacius, MN!!  He, his wife of 22 years and 2 teenaged sons all LOVE pizza, so I will be watching to see when you open your place, so I can let my brother know!  What will it be called?

I'm a newbie here myself and have already learned a lot and have enjoyed chatting with all the nice, helpful folks here!  The only problem I have is that there's SO much great information on these threads that it's sometimes difficult to sort through it all and decide which idea to try next!  Poor me, huh?   ;)

~sd
Never trust a skinny cook!

Offline DanBSCD

• Pay it forward.
    • FireLight Pizza & Pasta
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 01:27:32 PM »
Hi, Daniel!

I'm not sure why I decided to read this post since I cook pizzas at home, but I'm glad I did because my brother lives in St. Bonifacius, MN!!  He, his wife of 22 years and 2 teenaged sons all LOVE pizza, so I will be watching to see when you open your place, so I can let my brother know!  What will it be called?

I'm a newbie here myself and have already learned a lot and have enjoyed chatting with all the nice, helpful folks here!  The only problem I have is that there's SO much great information on these threads that it's sometimes difficult to sort through it all and decide which idea to try next!  Poor me, huh?   ;)

~sd

Hi Sourdough Girl...
It will be called FireLight Pizza & Pasta and it will be located next to the bank, and post office on Hwy 7 just west of 92.  There are a couple of new buildings going up there and we will be in one of them...  I'll be sure to post when we get closer to opening day...  Small World!

Daniel

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 06:26:14 AM »

Hi Bill.  Thanks for the welcome.  My pizzeria will be located in St. Bonifacius, MN.  Right now I'm looking at a wood/gas fired Forno Bravo oven called the Modena Twister   -- ever heard of it?  I'm told it's been in use in Naples for about 15 years.  A bit spendy but will allow me to get to 850+ degrees and quality of crust/done-ness I'm looking for along with a quick turn time.

Dan'l

Hi,

Just for the record, it may have been used somewhere in Italy for 15 years, but most probably not in Naples.

100% of all serious pizzeria in Naples,  and I would say and indicative percentage of just less (for example 95%...) of all pizzeria in Naples have handmade - artisan- brick ovens.

Ciao

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2007, 10:52:05 AM »
http://www.pavesiforni.it/eng/twisgas.htm

I believe these are the ovens that FB are importing from Modena.Pavesi are offering a 10 yr guarantee.
I think the 'twister ' has a rotating deck and a 16.5" dome height if it is the same model as shown on the pavesi site? Depending on what type of pizza you want to make and the skill level of your labor would help determine if this is the best choice for you, IMO?
From your website you imply Neapolitan (wood fired )?
I personally wish all wood fired Pizza was Neapolitan,unfortunately it's not and there is a world of difference between a wood fired pizza in Rome and in Naples.I would say that it is the job of the Pizzeria operator in this country (as everywhere )  to educate his customers,to avoid confusion and further blurring the definitions of pizza styles.From your previous post you mentioned that you were not sure that you could use wood?That it seems would be a major problem as authentic neapolitan pizza does require a wood fired oven.I can't tell you how often I've been lured into an establishment advertising "neapolitan" pizza only to be dreadfully disappointed and never return as I was misled.
I'm sure you've done your homework and I wish you success.
Good luck with your venture,

David
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 11:13:11 AM by David »
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

pizzapan