Author Topic: Easy foolproof dough recipe  (Read 2706 times)

Offline holdem

• I Love Pizza!
Easy foolproof dough recipe
« on: June 27, 2007, 10:30:31 PM »
Got a pizza stone as a gift. I'm looking for an easy foolproof dough recipe. I prefer a thin crispy crust. I don't have a mixer. Any ideas? Thanks.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Easy foolproof dough recipe
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 01:27:07 PM »
holdem,

If you donít have a mixer, you are likely to have a very hard time making a dough for a thin and crispy pizza, if by that you mean a cracker style pizza. Many recipes I have seen on the forum for cracker style doughs call for so little water by weight in relation to the weight of flour (under 40%), that unless you have the arms of Popeye and the strength of Hercules, you will be unlikely to be able to hand knead the dough because it will be very stiff, dense and dry, and often crumbly to boot. If you somehow managed to hand knead such a dough, you would also find that it will be very hard to roll out when you are ready to make pizzas because of the low hydration of the dough.

If you have a food processor, that may work but most of the cracker crust dough recipes I have seen on the forum that permit the use of a food processor also call for use of a cutter pan (or some equivalent like a perforated pan) as opposed to a stone to bake the pizza (see, for example, http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,779.0.htmlhttp://www.pizzamaking.com/pizzainnstyle.php, and http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1311.0.html). You might try using a food processor and the baking stone approach with one of the above (or similar) dough recipes, but I donít know how well that will work out.

If you donít have a food processor either, the only other option that comes to mind offhand is to select a cracker crust dough recipe that calls for more water in relation to the amount of flour. Or else you can keep adding water just to the point where you can hand knead the dough. I think you would need at least 50% water by weight of flour, and perhaps quite a bit more. In that case, you most likely would have to dock the dough once it has been rolled out and pre-bake the rolled-out docked dough on your new pizza stone before adding the sauce, cheese and toppings (sparingly) and finishing the baking. I described a recipe with 50% hydration at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5173.msg43956.html#msg43956, but I was not using hand kneading so I canít say for sure how much effort it would take to do a hand kneaded version. It may be possible but unlikely to be easy. Maybe you can be the one to find out for us.

I am not all that knowledgeable about the cracker style pizza (I am still learning) so you may also want to scan the index for the cracker style at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/board,28.0.html to see if you can find a recipe that more closely fits your circumstances. Or perhaps a member more knowledgeable than I can suggest a simple "foolproof" recipe for you to use if you are hand kneading and want to bake the cracker style crust on your new stone.

Peter

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 03:47:36 PM »
holdum

Prior to owning a Kitchen Aid, I made cracker type crusts by hand. I would add as much of the required flour as I could tolerate kneading. Then allow the dough to rest until doubled. At this point the dough will allow you to knead in more flour without as much resistance.

Something else I have done and prefer, is to leave behind about 1/8 cup or so of flour (dry ingredients) depending on the batch size, at the bottom of the bowl that the dough is rising in. As it proofs it will take up the additional flour without developing more gluten. If any dry ingredients are left behind, just knead them in and proof until doubled or as directed in recipe. Don't oil the bowl if using this method a firm bowl scraper should clean the bowl well.

Randy's Kitchen Aid cracker crust http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1628.0.html that uses the pastry method should be do-able without a mixer or food processor. It's also not as difficult as some others to roll out. If you have a pastry blender, I would suggest using that to cut-in the shortening other wise a fork should do the trick. Randy also has an oil recipe listed within the topic that also works.
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 04:40:07 PM »
Lydia,

I did see the Randy thread that you referenced but did not cite it because it calls for using a KitchenAid stand mixer. I assume the pastry method you mentioned is the one described in this post: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1628.msg27583.html#msg27583. I have never tried that method so there is nothing I can add by way of comment other than to say that the nominal hydration of Randy's dough formulation is around 37%. I assume with your pastry method and the way you add flour to the water that the nominal rate would be higher. I don't know if an autolyse would work in a cracker-type dough but maybe it is worth a try. I think I would also start with sifted flour for better hydration. Unfortunately, changes like these are not what one would normally think of for a recipe that is "easy" and "foolproof", as holdem requested in the opening post in this thread. For holdem's sake, I am hoping that he/she has a food processor.

Peter

Offline holdem

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 02:39:14 PM »
A friend of mine has a stand mixer I'm going to borrow. So I'm looking for an easy foolproof recipe for thin crust with a stand mixer using a pizza stone. Thanks.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 01:47:59 PM »
I'm hesitant to describe any pizza dough recipe as being both "easy" and "foolproof". Different people have different pizza making skills, and they usually use different brands and types of ingredients and different equipment in making their doughs and baking their pizzas. That is one of the reasons why some people succeed and some people fail even when they are using the same recipe and following the same instructions. I personally think that making a successful cracker crust pizza directly on a pizza stone (i.e., no cutter or perforated pan) is the hardest pizza to make. By "successful", I mean a cracker-type crust that is crispy from the edge all the way to the center, not just the outer part of the pizza. I have made many of the latter and while they are edible and even enjoyable, they are not what I am really looking for, which is a crust that is crispy all the way across the pizza.

Since you have a better idea of your own skills and preferences than anyone else, I would suggest that you find a recipe that you think you will like and can handle and give it a try. It might be Randy's recipe that uses a stand mixer or it might be some other recipe, like one of those posted on the Recipe section or elsewhere on the forum. You should feel free, of course, to report on your results, including any problems you may have experienced that might be easily corrected.

Peter

pizzapan