Author Topic: A nice New Haven/Neopolitan Pizza in the Detroit area.  (Read 1545 times)

Offline putnam

A nice New Haven/Neopolitan Pizza in the Detroit area.
« on: July 04, 2007, 09:31:51 PM »
I hope I have the right forum for this genre.

Matt answered the phone when I called this order in to Tomatoes Apizza in Farmington Hills MI, so I assume he made it. My coworker Tom picked it up and said master pizzaiolo Mike Weinstein was there too, but this pie has the telltale thickness, both in terms of crust and toppings, that indicates to me it is the work of a younger, less experienced pizzaiolo. Or maybe it was just a piece of dough cut larger than usual. Maybe the larger bread mass prevented the toppings from drying out as much as they normally would on a thinner crust..

This is not to say that it wasn't good. It was. I like the corner-filling abundance of a large pizza baked this way.

This is a "Neopolitan Sampler."

I have a new 15"x20"x3/4" pizza stone arriving tomorrow from Forno Bravo. Fun times.

Offline grovemonkey

• Let's do it.
Re: A nice New Haven/Neopolitan Pizza in the Detroit area.
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 10:52:06 PM »
that, in no way, reminds me of neapolitan pizza.  Is this a lesser know version of the pizza.  It looks like a pizza cooked at around 550F to maybe 600F? and doesn't have any of the tell-tale leopard spot-type charring I associate with that style of pizza.  This looks like more of an artisan-style pizza.

I could be wrong though. :)

grove.

Offline othafa9

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 04:16:20 AM »
nope not neapolitan.  Also, New Haven and Neopolitan are pretty different, even though they may have neapolitan in their name.

Offline putnam

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 08:22:09 AM »
This is atypical for this pizza place. Something went sideways. My diagnosis is the dough was cut too large and maybe the oven was a little cool for whatever reason.

I'll try and post a picture of one of their more typical pies in a week or two.

It is advertised as New Haven style. Forum etiquette question: New Haven pizza topics belong in what, the "American" forum?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 09:06:35 AM »
Forum etiquette question: New Haven pizza topics belong in what, the "American" forum?

putnam,

Peter Reinhart, in his book American Pie (at page 188), classifies the New Haven style pizzas in the "First Generation Neo-Neapolitan" category. He lumps the New Haven style pizzas, as at Sally's and Pepe's, in with Totonno's, Tacconelli's, John's, Grimaldi's and DiFara's. On this forum, we tend to put the NY styles like John's, Grimaldi's, etc., in the New York Style section, as "elite" NY styles. As the thread evolves and we see where your new information takes us, one of the Moderators (myself included) can always move the thread to another location. When in doubt or I can't find a clear cut home for a topic, I tend to put the topic under General Pizza Making.

Peter