Author Topic: Does this look Import Worthy?  (Read 2249 times)

Offline ninya

Does this look Import Worthy?
« on: June 27, 2007, 11:54:35 PM »
As there seems to be a complete lack of Pizza Screens in Australia where I am, Im thinking of buying one off an Ebay seller in the US. All up including postage, Ill have to pay around $31 US.

Can anyone take a look at this pizza screen and let me know if it's of good enough quality to pay that for, and have sent to Australia, or if not, do you have any links to places that sell them.

thanks

Heres the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7604823257&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:au

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Does this look Import Worthy?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 10:28:56 AM »
ninya,

I once did a simple screen comparison study (Reply 10 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,243.msg4685/topicseen.html#msg4685) and learned that just about all pizza screens sold in the U.S. at the time I did my comparison came from India, and that they were all pretty much alike. The screen shown at the eBay site looks typical. 

I read recently that a pizza operator in Perth, Western Australia was thinking about replacing his 13" screens with 12" screens but that it would cost him $26 dollars per screen. So, the price you quoted for the 16" size seems to be in the ballpark. In a home setting, the screen should last you a long time.

Peter

Offline Art

• la pizza è la mia vita!!
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 03:07:57 PM »
You'll have to check the shipping for yourself, but this is the place where I've been buying my kitchen supplies.  :chef:  Art

http://www.zesco.com/products.cfm?subCatID=1320&PGroupID=001205MZ0A
When baking, follow directions.  When cooking, go by your own taste.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 04:09:09 PM »
You'll have to check the shipping for yourself

There are places that will ship internationally but often they will use someone like UPS, as does Zesco. Out of curiosity, I went to the UPS website and got a quote to ship a 1-lb. package (which I would wrap myself and deliver to a UPS retail shipping store), with a shipping weight of about 1-lb. (a 16" pizza screen weighs about 6 ounces), to a residence in Sydney, Australia (I picked the city out of the air). For purposes of the quote, I would ship from where I live just outside of Dallas, Texas. The three quotes that were given ranged from $81.72 to $133.36. 

I was once told by a company that the best way to handle international shipment of small items like what we are talking about here is to have the item delivered to an address in the U.S. and have the recipient mail the item to the foreign destination, which would be far cheaper than using a carrier service. From what I can tell, the seller on eBay would be such a recipient and most likely would be using the mails to ship the screen to ninya in Australia should she decide to purchase the item. It's not terribly likely that ninya will be able to get a much better price since the bulk of the total cost is shipping, which is likely to be about the same no matter who the seller is. For example, for U.S. Postal Service shipping for a 1-lb. package via Express Mail to Australia would be about $25-$27 based on a quick check at the USPS website.

Peter
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 05:07:32 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline ninya

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 05:44:33 PM »
You'll have to check the shipping for yourself, but this is the place where I've been buying my kitchen supplies.  :chef:  Art

http://www.zesco.com/products.cfm?subCatID=1320&PGroupID=001205MZ0A

Thanks Art, I have checked and they dont ship outside the US.  :-\

Offline ninya

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 05:45:34 PM »
Thanks for that advice Pete.  8)

Thank you also for all your time and effort in helping me out.  :-*

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 08:20:21 PM »
More than one person has bought a screen and it was too big for their oven.  Measure before you buy.

You might get a square one(easier to make)  made near where you live at a metal shop.

Randy

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2007, 08:36:53 PM »
Buy a whole bunch and sell the rest on Ebay.aus.
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market