Author Topic: Bova Foods in Chalfont eastern Pennsylvania  (Read 3803 times)

Offline Spurkey

Bova Foods in Chalfont eastern Pennsylvania
« on: January 12, 2008, 02:19:13 PM »
Any aspiring pizza makers on the east coast of Pennsylvania must stop in at the public showroom of Bova Foods in Chalfont. Bova Foods supply all the best pizza shops in the surrounding areas.

The showroom is really fun to visit and buy those pizza shop only items. You can even buy your very own pizza oven for a mere $6000.00.

Check out my recent stop. 6in1 cans for $1.50, 6 lb can of Bonta Pizza Sauce $5.25, repacked Hi Glut flour 10 lb for $4.50.

I tried to pick up some Grande part skim but they would only sell it by the case.

Offline Chet

Re: Bova Foods in Chalfont eastern Pennsylvania
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 05:27:43 PM »

We stopped by Bova today and I picked up 10bs of their hi gluten flour and a few cans of the 6-1 tomatoes and a few other items, what recipe are you going to try using the 6-1 ground tomatoes, nice place, I also picked up 2 of their frozen dough balls, they claim they are great. let see if I can make a better pizza with their dough.

Chet

Offline Spurkey

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 07:13:28 PM »
A lot of fun in there huh? I recently picked up some pizza dough tins, now I can make 6 balls at a time, and a pizza serving plate (just like at your favorite pizza shop)

The recipe for the sauce is as follows:  1 part 6n1 tomatoes, 1 part Bonta peeled tomatoes (they only sell the 6 pound cans there, but I think any San Marzano peeled tomatoes will do) and "some" Bonta pizza (again they only sell the big cans) sauce to thicken up the sauce or to taste. "Some" sugar, salt ( about 1/2 of whatever amount of sugar you use) and pepper. Finally some water to your preferred consistency. Thats it. Mix/crush it up and put it in the refrigerator. Done

Now my guy mixes up 20 gallons or so at a time in this huge stainless "pot", he just gets in there hairy arm and all crushing up the peeled tomatoes and mixing it up. Not really a pretty sight. I prefer to use a freshly washed hand and a medium mixing bowl.

Good luck with the sauce and dough. Let me know what you think.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 07:15:25 PM by Spurkey »

Offline Chet

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 09:13:25 PM »

I did not see any Bonta products there, I did mention to the guy that works there, he never said if they were going to stock Bonta sauce again.

Chet

Offline Spurkey

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 08:34:19 AM »

They dont have any Bonta products on the shelf, at least that I have seen.

I had to ask one of the stock people to get me one, I kind of got the impression that they prefer not to sell those big cans out of the case,  but he ran into the back and got me one anyway. I guess its whoever is working and timing on that....

Like I said in my previous post, there is a "feel" there that if your just the average joe and not buying $10,000 worth of product they are a little standoffish, but whatever.

Offline Chet

Re: Bova Foods (Their dough)
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 06:58:56 PM »

I was at Bova this past wed, I picked up 2 of their frozen dough balls, I made pizza tonight with them, all I can say is I have ALOT of dough making to learn, they were delicious, with 6-1 sauce with all romano cheese on top with a spinkle of olive oil! out of this world. I will learn to make dough yet!

Chet