Author Topic: Best pizza place in Rome and VC??  (Read 2200 times)

Offline ninya

Best pizza place in Rome and VC??
« on: July 10, 2007, 06:33:23 PM »
Hi

Ill be in Rome in September / October.

Ill be in the heart of Rome and also the Vatican City. In fact, staying near the VC.

Can anyone tell me the BEST pizza place (esp for plain no meat pizza, though I hear most of them there are) in this area?

Or, are they all fantastic over there? Are there any pizza places there that suck??

Whilst Im on this topic, can someone that's already tried pizza in Italy tell me what makes it different to other pizza. I hear it's the best pizza in the world.. :)

Offline pizza concerto

• Lifetime Member
  • ...so much pizza, so little stomach...
Re: Best pizza place in Rome and VC??
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 08:43:36 PM »
Hi Ninya,

I can't give you specifics here, but I can say that if you stay away from restaurants in the touristy areas you'll be far better off...prices are up, and there's alot of creative waitering going on (service charges, higher prices charged)...see the New York Times site for specifics on what to watch out for (just search Rome food articles)...that said, Roman pizza is very different than pizza in Naples.  Rome's pies are wafer thin, and drier than pies in Naples.  Naples, in my opinion, offers the best pizza in Italy.  You'll still get a really good pie in Rome, just not like its southern neighbor.  If at all possible, make a day trip south to Naples, and go to Da Michele pizza.  I think they are the #1 pie over there.  Address: Via C. Sersale 1/3, Piazza Garibaldi, Naples, Italy
Phone: 081/5539204

Have a great time, I'm jealous.

Dan

"Only Irish Coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar, fat." -- Alex Levine

Offline ninya

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 04:32:40 AM »
Thank you.

Unfortunately Im only going to be in Rome for about 3/4 days, and Florence for one.

I have heard that Naples pizza is the best, but I wont be going there. What makes it so much better than Rome?  :-\ ???

I imagine that the pizza in Rome was still really good?? Is it better than (besides Naples) any other pizza youve had? Ive heard some people say that pizza in Italy is better than anything else in the world - is this accurate?

Ill also be in London - any rec's for pizza there?  :pizza:

Offline pizza concerto

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 10:56:47 AM »
Ninya,

The ingredients in Naples are local, super fresh.  The mozzarella di buffala cheese is made locally, and delivered every morning...I think the traditions of pizza making are firmly set in Naples, and there is a great deal of pride in making those pies. In Rome, every place serves something a little different.  The crust in Rome is very different.  It is very dry and cracker like.  In Naples, its got a slight chew, and the pizza is much wetter.  There is one place in Rome that serves a Neapolitan styled pie...it is several blocks from the Spanish steps on Via Sistina...maybe someone on this forum will know its name. Compare that to other Roman pizza, and you'll immediately see the differences...sorry I can't be more specific...

Dan
"Only Irish Coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar, fat." -- Alex Levine

Offline ninya

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 06:36:32 PM »
Thanks. I hope someone knows the name as I would love to try it.

Would you still say that roman pizza is great, or not?

Offline pizza concerto

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 10:17:21 PM »
Hi Ninya,

I love all pizza...makes differentiating very difficult.  I'd say that Roman pizza is as good as really good US pizza, if its prepared with a nice thin, crackery crust.  Most Roman pies were made like that.   I think you'll be quite content just about anywhere.  There are a few particular places listed in this forum a few entries down. If you go to Via Sistina, and ask a local for the Neapolitan pizza restaurant located on that street, they should know about it. That will give you a good idea what Naples pizza is all about.  You have to try it to appreciate it. 

I didn't get to try a pizza in London, but the indian food is super.  (Try some great garlic naan for what I'd consider London pizza!)

Dan

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 03:58:54 AM »

Ill also be in London - any rec's for pizza there?  :pizza:

There is good Neapolitan pizza at Donna Margahrita in London.  I don't know how hot they are keeping their new oven (thanks marco), but the owners are very friendly and maybe you can ask them to jack the heat up for your pie.  I don't think you will be disappointed, and it is a good example of the style.

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 08:40:59 PM »
If you get the train out of Rome to Tivoli try the Pizzeria outside the Station.My friend Stafano was making a good Pizza there !
In Rome you might try Pizza Re for Neapolitan "Style".
Dar Poeta (Testaccio area ) is good for very thin Roman style.
do a search on these boards and you'll find plenty more good info,i'm a bit jet lagged at the moment to do it for you ;) Good luck.
David
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market