Author Topic: High glutin flour!!!!  (Read 5409 times)

Offline Jackitup

High glutin flour!!!!
« on: July 13, 2007, 12:45:44 PM »
I've been getting high protein flour from our local bakery for 5 bucks for 25 lbs and it's been OK, great price. But just got a 50 lb bag of high gluten flour for $7.50. Been trying to find it locally with no luck and then the proverbial 'light' went on in my old and not so fast anymore noggin. The Con Agra Flour Mill (used to be King Midas) is 4-5 blocks from my house (Hastings, MN). I gave them a call and they said swing on over and we'll have it ready for you. 50 lb bag of Kyrol, Premium Grade, High Gluten Flour was waiting for me 5 minutes later. Guy put it in my truck for me too. I'll be mixing up a batch of dough in a little while and see how it compares to the high protein flour, can't wait till pizza time tomorrow. So anyone in the St. Paul/Mpls area in MN, give them a call, Hastings is just 20 or so miles south.
Jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline mzshan

• I Love Pizza!
Re: High glutin flour!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 11:51:48 AM »
Lucky you.

I had the same thing out here well sorta...

Canadian flour is somewhat differant then U.S Formulation wise, well thats what the lady at ADM FLOUR told me.

there are two major commercial flour mills ROBINHOOD and ADM. I called up Robinhood first but ther service sucked the sales guy had no clue what he was selling and its been 4 months since i heard from him about a question I asked..

the other ADM lady explained everything to me what they produced even was kind enough to send me 2 differant flour samples 5KG each so i can try them out then buy what i liked...

:)..

hope you enjoy your newfound Source

shan

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 12:26:28 PM »
Kyrol is one of the best flours money cank buy.  You are going to love it.  It is bromated, so be very careful not to breathe it in, and make sure your pizzas don't have a gum layer.  You may want to read other threads on this forum about bromated flour.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 03:09:34 PM »
I've used high glutin flours before and loved them, this stuff really rocks. Breads get a very high, sturdy, springy rise that is not fragile in the least and pizza crusts are having the best texture yet. Can't wait to try it on some bagels, haven't made homemade bagels in years and this flour should excel at making them.
Jon

Offline creampuff

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2007, 04:26:13 PM »
I've used high glutin flours before and loved them, this stuff really rocks. Breads get a very high, sturdy, springy rise that is not fragile in the least and pizza crusts are having the best texture yet. Can't wait to try it on some bagels, haven't made homemade bagels in years and this flour should excel at making them.
Jon
Hey Jackitup - Can you tell me what kind of flours you have used B4? Trump, King Arthur?  How does the Kyrol Compare? Thanks.........

Offline creampuff

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 12:46:43 AM »
Jon

Did you ever make the bagels? If so, how did they turn out?

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 01:39:38 AM »
Hey Jackitup - Can you tell me what kind of flours you have used B4? Trump, King Arthur?  How does the Kyrol Compare? Thanks.........

Creampuff, It's been since october and no word back on your question, so I will tell you what I have found.   The Kyrol flour turns out a very similar product to All Trumps. Kyrol and All Trumps are bromated and produce a tighter yet more tender crumb than the King Arthur Sir lancelot which is not bromated.  All three flours are high gluten varieties, and the king arthur is the chewiest by far. The King arthur is also a bit less forgiving of overfermentation or improper mixing. With the Kyrol or all trumps it almost seems as if the resulting crust is in the direction of a wonder bread type consistency, and with the KA it is closer to a typical sourdough bread type consistency.  The kyrol and All trumps provide a crust that is very much like what you find at 95% of the pizzerias in New York City, while the King Arthur seems more suitable for bagels and people that like an extra chewy pizza.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 12:06:00 PM »
Hi Creampuff,
Sorry about being a slug on responding to your post. I had ankle surgery on the 22nd that's been keeping me with my foot up and pizza making down ;-(   To answer your questions...sort of...no I haven't tried the other flours but have tried the Kyrol flour on bagels, Great. Using a refridgertor proof/rise once you shape your bagels helps with keeping a good stable dough and lends well to moving them from pan to hot water bath and to pan again to bake. Also the high glutin/protien content to the flour is key to the dough not deflating. Attatched is some hoagie buns I made yesterday for Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches that absolutely rocked. The hoagies were onion/garlic/dill weed and from start to finish took about 4 hours. Using a longer proof/rise technique would have had them come out with a more airy crumb but for some quick buns they still came out great. Obviously with using any high gluten flour, it really creates a stable dough stucture that is very forgiving and does'nt go flat very easy because you bump it more move it around, you can be a little rougher with it with out goofing it up. And I need things as goof proof as possible. Gives you that nice almost rubbery chew that we all like in bagels and those chewy, crusty breads. All in all, a flour I'm sure you would be happy with.
Jon

Offline creampuff

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2007, 08:34:20 PM »
Holly Cannoli - you have had alot of catching up to do and I am sure everyone is estatic you are back on your feet.  I'm a newbie and just loving this site.  Pete, Scott, and everyone that has responded to me has just been Awesome.  I only feel bad that my responses are usually short and sweet, I just not a hugh writer. That being said, thank you for your response.

I am finding that the Kyrol is very close to the All Trumps.  And I like working with them equally.

I made some bagels for the first time over the past weekend, not bad to a 1st attempt...but, I know I can do better. I am just really focused on my NY style pie, as I am fixing (as they would say here in AR) to open a small shop.

I LOVE Philly Cheese Steaks, and yours looked good enough to eat off of the monitor. Your rolls were beauts.

Thank you for your response,
Andrea

Offline creampuff

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2007, 08:48:00 PM »
Creampuff, It's been since october and no word back on your question, so I will tell you what I have found.   The Kyrol flour turns out a very similar product to All Trumps. Kyrol and All Trumps are bromated and produce a tighter yet more tender crumb than the King Arthur Sir lancelot which is not bromated.  All three flours are high gluten varieties, and the king arthur is the chewiest by far. The King arthur is also a bit less forgiving of overfermentation or improper mixing. With the Kyrol or all trumps it almost seems as if the resulting crust is in the direction of a wonder bread type consistency, and with the KA it is closer to a typical sourdough bread type consistency.  The kyrol and All trumps provide a crust that is very much like what you find at 95% of the pizzerias in New York City, while the King Arthur seems more suitable for bagels and people that like an extra chewy pizza.

Scott,
I am not sure if I ever thanked you for your response, and I apologize if I didn't.

Now having had an opportunity to work with both Kyrol and Trumps, I am finding the similarities, and I like the results of both for NY style.

Again, thank you for your response,
Andrea

I wish I had more to share...you guys are fabulous.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2007, 09:00:51 PM »
No problem Andrea, glad to help!  I also glad we have come to the same conclusion.

Offline creampuff

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2007, 07:17:58 PM »
I've been getting high protein flour from our local bakery for 5 bucks for 25 lbs and it's been OK, great price. But just got a 50 lb bag of high gluten flour for $7.50. Been trying to find it locally with no luck and then the proverbial 'light' went on in my old and not so fast anymore noggin. The Con Agra Flour Mill (used to be King Midas) is 4-5 blocks from my house (Hastings, MN). I gave them a call and they said swing on over and we'll have it ready for you. 50 lb bag of Kyrol, Premium Grade, High Gluten Flour was waiting for me 5 minutes later. Guy put it in my truck for me too. I'll be mixing up a batch of dough in a little while and see how it compares to the high protein flour, can't wait till pizza time tomorrow. So anyone in the St. Paul/Mpls area in MN, give them a call, Hastings is just 20 or so miles south.
Jon

Hey Jackitup,

I LOVE the Kyrol...it works awesome for me.  Glad I spotted this post a few weeks ago.  I have tested the Trumps and Kyrol together, same recipe-formula....Love the Kyrol.

Thanks,
Creampuff

Offline creampuff

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2007, 07:24:24 PM »
No problem Andrea, glad to help!  I also glad we have come to the same conclusion.

Scott - now I am really leaning towards the Kyrol.  At first I thought they were compareable.  I made two batches of each at the same time, same recipe-formula.  The Kyrol seems to feel better, brown a bit better, and rise just a little bit more for me.  Just thought I would let you know.

Creampuff

I'm having a heck of a time trying to get some real cake yeast, using the IDY for now, but I really want the cake and when I get it I know I will be really pleased with my dough.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2007, 12:59:50 AM »
I agree, although they are close I prefer the kyrol as well.

pizzapan