Author Topic: Spiral hook on a C hook Kitchenaid? Yeah Baby!!!!  (Read 38642 times)

Offline oscar

Re: Spiral hook on a C hook Kitchenaid? Yeah Baby!!!!
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2008, 10:30:15 AM »
Just found this thread after buying (and using 2 times) a KitchenAid Artisan. Here in Europe there's no Pro versions, and decided not to go with the lifting bowl because of the nicer esthetics and easy mobility. I've already verified that the kneading action of the C hook isn't very efective, especially with low quantities. After starting reading this thread I ran and bought an spiral hook, but now I see that the hack only works with the lifting bowl model. Sigh.

Well, apart from ranting, this post was to say that maybe a hack similar to beaterblade.com (can't link yet, sorry), but just attached to the C hook instead of replacing it, might be done elegantly.

Offline mike_b

• Pizza is a work of art
    • omnes.tv
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2010, 05:12:24 PM »
For those that used the spiral hook on KitchenAid mixers which did not support them: How is your mixer performing? Has this hack caused any issues to your mixers over time?
  • Pizza Lover

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2010, 06:09:08 PM »
wow, great job.  Very nice what some imagination can do.  Thanks for posting your pictures.

I made a spiral or helicoidal hook by myself

Luis
Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline Shaklee3

« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2010, 12:51:48 PM »
Does anyone know if the spiral hook will work with the KSM150 mixers? It has the tilt back instead of the rising one. I really don't care if I burn out the motor since I'm tired of the crappy C hook just grabbing the dough and taking it for a ride. The mixer is completely useless with the C hook. The only kneading it does when I try 1 batch of Tom Lehmann dough is by air. It literally swings the dough around on the hook and never pushes it down or into the sides. I thought I read somewhere that someone said the spiral hook will hit the bottom of other artisan mixers, but I'm not sure about this one. It's a 5-quart mixer.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 02:09:36 PM by Shaklee3 »

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2010, 02:08:04 PM »
Does anyone know if the spiral hook will work with the KSM150 mixers? It has the tilt back instead of the rising one. I really don't care if I burn out the motor since I'm tired of the crappy C hook just grabbing the dough and taking it for a ride. The mixer is completely useless with the C hook. The only kneading it does when I try 1 batch of Tom Lehmann dough is by air. It literally swings the dough around on the hook and never pushes it down or into the sides. I thought I read somewhere that someone said the spiral hook will hit the bottom of the bowl on this model, but I'm not sure.
It was a while ago, but when I researched this originally it was reported that the spiral hook works with any of the 5 qt bowl sized Kitchen Aids, which I believe you have.  Mine is quite old and a 4.5 qt bowl model so I never pursued further.
There is/was a Kitchen Aid forum with tons of info on this back then, but I did not save any links.

Offline Shaklee3

« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2010, 05:19:26 PM »
I'm going to go pick up one of the spirals today, and if it doesn't fit, I'll just return it. I'm afraid it's time to sell this 5qt model if this doesn't work.

Offline breadman_nz

« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2011, 06:09:29 AM »
Just to resurrect this old thread...

I can confirm that the KA spiral hook works very nicely on a Hobart N50 (I have the K5ASBP bowl, rather than the OEM 'official' ST005).

I accidentally bought the burnished spiral hook, wide bowl (KNS256BDH), rather than the KNS25BDH as Amazon has the part numbers and titles mixed up!. Stoopidly, they have the spiral hook for the wider bowl (KNS256BDH) listed as a spiral hook, burnished - but the spiral hook for the narrow bowl (KNS25BDH) listed as "burnished spiral, wide bowl" : http://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-Dough-Hook-Burnished-Spiral/dp/B003DYZW1C/?tag=pizzamaking-20

However, a search for "KNS25BDH" on Amazon shows up BOTH versions (one correctly listed, the other not). Sigh.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=KNS25BDH&x=0&y=0&tag=pizzamaking-20

So - LET THE AMAZON BUYER BEWARE! Or at least if you want to avoid my fate of ordering the slightly wrong hook!

Anyway, the new (slightly wrong) hook works very, very nicely. Although the stock N50 hook is a well-machined heavy duty item, the KNS26BDH is no slouch either, and looks suitably industrial - well done KA on this! I can't believe how cheaply these are going for.

Performance-wise, there is no more dough climbing, and it seems to give it a good thorough knead. I'm pretty sure the over-engineering of the N50 will minimise any untoward effects of the spiral action on the planetary - but will report back if there are ever any issues in this regard.

The only minor issue is that there is just a fraction too much clearance above the bottom of the bowl, which means it needs a little prod to get the dough to come together with smaller batches. Larger batches (>1kg) are fine, and once the dough is together, the kneading is excellent. As noted above, this is due to having the wide bowl version (which surprisingly has adequate clearance around the bowl).

I've just ordered a KNS25BDH from ebay... this is a slightly deeper / longer hook, so should be perfect. Will report back in due course.

[EDIT: Amazon has just emailed, thanking me for pointing out their error. They fully refunded my purchase AND - due to the return shipping cost - allowed me to keep the KNS256BDH. Great customer service to 'em, I say!]

Offline breadman_nz

« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2011, 07:42:45 AM »
Just to complete the loop - my experience of the KNS25BDH vs KNS256BDH with the N50: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,14949.msg150305.html#msg150305

Short version: I prefer the KNS256BDH.

Offline holorim

« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2011, 01:57:43 PM »
Just to complete the loop - my experience of the KNS25BDH vs KNS256BDH with the N50: [...]
Short version: I prefer the KNS256BDH.
Hi Breadman_nz,
Did you were able to compare the KNS256BDH vs EDDOUGH-ALU005 (i.e the genuine N50 spiral hook shown here : http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7733.msg68520.html#msg68520 ) ?
Regards.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 02:10:04 PM by holorim »

Offline breadman_nz

« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2011, 04:59:04 AM »
Hi Breadman_nz,
Did you were able to compare the KNS256BDH vs EDDOUGH-ALU005 (i.e the genuine N50 spiral hook shown here : http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7733.msg68520.html#msg68520 ) ?
Regards.

Holy spiral dough hooks! I hadn't seen that hook for the N50 before! I'm a) annoyed I haven't seen it to try it and b) pleased that it means the N50 is capable of running a spiral without damage (although my assessment of it's planetary design led me to the conclusion already).

I'm suspicious of the part shown though - since I ordered the ED-ALU005 from our local Hobart distributor, and it's more of a standard c-hook shape - although it has a tiny curl at the tip. It looks nothing like the more pronounced spiral on the link you posted. In fact, it looks exactly like the ALU005 sold by Globe: http://www.globeequipment.com/Commercial-Kitchen-Equipment/Cooking-Equipment/Mixers/Eddough-Alu005.

I haven't seen anywhere that sells that hook as shown. Hobart only lists the ED-ALU005 as above. I'd certainly be keen to try it if I could find it!

That said, the KNS256BDH works pretty nicely.

Offline holorim

« Reply #60 on: August 24, 2011, 11:35:43 AM »
Hi breadman_nz,
The spiral hook shown on the link above is the one which came with my N50. It appears to me that Hobart fairly recently replaced the antique C-hook by the spiral new one.
If we refer to the Hobart denomination : 'E' = C-shaped, and 'ED' = spiral. So, if you bought a 'ED' hook, then your local distributor should have provided the spiral new model, but maybe he preferred to sell an old C-shaped remaining in his stock.

By the way, I already bought another N50 hook from Globe, and they provided me the spiral one, even if the photo on their website is not up to date (the C-shaped is supposed to be discontinued).
Regards.

Offline breadman_nz

« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2011, 04:28:16 PM »
Thanks - I've sent you a PM about possibly ordering a hook from Globe :)

Offline holorim

« Reply #62 on: August 24, 2011, 04:52:40 PM »
Hi again,
(sorry but I didn't received any pm yet)

If you want to buy this hook, maybe these references will be helpfull :

Offline breadman_nz

« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2011, 07:46:36 AM »
That's great info. I'm semi-annoyed that between Globe Equipment's old picture, and my local supplier sending a 'c' hook, that I was unaware for so long of the proper N50 spiral hook being available. Google failed to help - searching for 'N50 spiral dough hook' as I did originally doesn't exactly bring up relevant info.

Offline breadman_nz

« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2012, 02:42:48 AM »
UPDATE: I've since tried a couple of more hooks on my N50, including the official OEM one pictured above.

1) The KNS25BDH hook - which is for the KA 5Qt 'narrow bowl'. Its sweep was too narrow to effectively get the dough together and mix it. Not enough 'action' on the dough.

2)  The OEM Hobart spiral hook for the N50, part no. "EDDOUGH-ALU005". Interestingly, I have found it's not quite as effective as the KNS256BDH. It has a good action and gets the dough together well enough, however the dough has a slightly higher tendency to ride up the hook and spin around when compared to the KNS256BDH. It's still significantly better than the stock 'c' hook. Anyway, your mileage may vary with an N50, depending on exact tolerances.

In order to get the dough together, I've now taken to using the beater first for about 30 seconds, then use the beater once the dough is together. Much more effective and efficient than watching the hook (any of them) trying to coalesce the flour and water!

Offline kramer73

« Reply #65 on: August 26, 2012, 04:10:00 PM »
I sent a question to someone selling these on ebay to see if I could use it in my KSM150, but they said no :(

Guess I'll just have to keep making dough the way I normally do!

pizzapan