Author Topic: Unhomogenized and/or raw cheese  (Read 2106 times)

Offline AeRoSteele

Unhomogenized and/or raw cheese
« on: July 15, 2007, 03:08:15 PM »
Hello,

Do any of you know any companies that sell unhomogenized and/or raw mozzarella?  I know Organic Valley has raw cheddar but that's it.  Thanks!

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Unhomogenized and/or raw cheese
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 04:20:14 PM »
AeRoSteele,

I have read that there are only about a dozen cheese producers in the U.S. who use raw milk in making cheeses, and they are essentially artisan producers in family-owned operations. I have read of several types of cheeses (far more than just cheddar) produced from raw milk but no mozzarella cheese. U.S. cheese importers have been lobbying for years to import raw-milk, unpasteurized cheeses from countries that produce such cheeses but, to the best of my knowledge, they have not been successful to date, or at least not in a material way. David Rosengarten recently wrote on this subject in a report on cheese, from which the following was excerpted:

...we must consider the vexed subject of pasteurization, and U.S. pasteurization laws. As you know, these kinds of cheeses in France are made from raw milk--milk that hasn't been heated, or "pasteurized," in an industrial-scientific-fascistic attempt to kill off bacteria in the milk. Any turophile will tell you that only marginally insane people obsess about pasteurization--and that pasteurized cheese never has the potential for developing complex flavors in the same way as unpasteurized cheese does. But our government is convinced that an unpasteurized cheese, eaten before it reaches 60 days old, is seething with potential disease. Millions of people eat cheese like this every day in France, but you cannot find it here.

Peter
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 04:26:05 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline nepa-pizza-snob

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 10:42:08 PM »
imho you cannot make this argument of pasteurization all by itself. What are the conditions of small country French dairy farms, and their day to day practices compared to the large commercial US dairies that manufacture Polly-O and Kraft cheese? It doesn't seem to be a reasonable comparison.

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 11:52:51 PM »
I think if you really look and call around in your area you can find such places that use raw milk in their cheese making. Maybe I'm just lucky here in Amish country but there are many that do just that, and it's some mighty fine cheese. Not any fresh mozz to be had fresh off the farm but none the less there's some good unmolested cheese to be had here in central PA.  ;)
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 03:14:49 AM »
Consider making it yourself.  Whole Foods carries a couple different brands of raw milk now that you could use.  Not too difficult, rather fun, give it a try.

- aba
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 06:38:56 AM »
The New York Times online recently had an article on raw milk that someone preserved at http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/08/dining/08raw.html?ex=1344225600&en=aa19825de843ec28&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss. In that article there is reference to a site realmilk.com (http://www.realmilk.com) that lists sources of raw milk and cheeses, under the "Where" link at the top section of the homepage.

Peter
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 06:41:59 AM by Pete-zza »

pizzapan