Author Topic: My lastest Chicago  (Read 7939 times)

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
My lastest Chicago
« on: August 27, 2004, 02:49:45 PM »
Changed up the recipe a bit

18 ounces all purpose flour
11 ounces water
3.5 ounces yellow cornmeal
3.5 ounces corn oil
0.25 ounce active dry yeast
0.38 ounce sugar
0.25 ounce salt

In a mixing bowl, add the water, sugar, yeast, flour, cornmeal, and salt. Mix on low speed for a couple of minutes until dough comes together, then slowly add the oil. Continue to mix dough for 7 more minutes. The dough should be somewhat wet and smooth, but not sticky. Form the dough into a ball and place in a bowl. Loosely cover with plastic wrap and then a dish towel and put the refrigerator for an overnight rise. Take the dough out about one hour prior to making the pizza. Set the bottom over rack to the lowest position in the oven and preheat the oven to 450F for at least 30 minutes prior to baking.

Coat the bottom of a well seasoned 15" deep dish pan with regular olive oil (do not use extra virgin). Place the dough ball in the center of the pan and press it out until it covers the entire bottom. Then, using you fingers, pull the dough up the side of the pan. If the dough resists holding shape, cover with a towel and let rest for 15 to 20 minutes.

Using either all sliced mozzarella or a mix of sliced mozzarella and provolone, cover the bottom of the dough with cheese, add desired toppings, and then top with 6-in-1 brand crushed tomatoes. Use your hands if necessary to spread out the tomatoes. Finish topping with basil and grated parmesan cheese.

Place in the center on the bottom rack of the oven and cook for 2025 minutes, turning once half way through.

Remove from the oven and let cool for about 3 minutes. Remove from pan, slice and serve.

I'm on too many of these boards

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
Re:My lastest Chicago
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2004, 02:50:44 PM »
Note that the edge is pinched up against the pan.

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2004, 02:51:45 PM »
I personally use two types of cheese.

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2004, 02:52:27 PM »
Always a favorite topping

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2004, 02:52:59 PM »
Gotta love 6-in-1

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2004, 02:53:50 PM »
Out of the oven, nice color

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2004, 02:54:26 PM »
Should have patted the center out more

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2004, 04:40:52 PM »
Nice pictures DKM.  Made me hungry.

Randy

Offline giotto

• Italy has DOC, we have NY standards.
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2004, 05:56:41 PM »
DKM:

Thanks for sharing.  Were you happy with the characteristics of the Chicago crust?  What type of characteristics did you find with the crust, for example:

- was the crust soft/stiff/pliable?  

- did it hold up well to the ingredients and could you have added more sauce without a problem?

- how did it taste with the addition of cornmeal?  Would you suggest any changes?

Was that a metal pan?  
« Last Edit: August 28, 2004, 02:37:37 AM by giotto »

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2004, 06:14:56 PM »
The oven temp was 450o  I think it is the directions somewhere.

The pan was metal and picked up on e-bay from a going out of business Pizza Inn.

The dough is very soft and pliable.  I don't think a roller would even work on it.  It has to be patted out by hand.

I have a deep-dish recipe without cornmeal, but I like the 'bite' and flavor the cornmeal gives it.

It holds up very well and I have often made multiple topping pizzas with earlier versions of this recipe.

The only thing I would change this time around would be to do a better job of pressing the dough out in the center.

DKM
« Last Edit: August 27, 2004, 06:15:32 PM by DKM »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2004, 09:23:27 PM »
DKM,

Several years ago I lived in the Chicago area and had a chance to try different deep-dish pizzas, mainly those of Pizzeria Uno/Due and Gino's.  The crusts seemed to have a yellow or light orange coloration, especially the Gino's version, which I attributed to the addition of cornmeal or butter or something like that, but now I understand the color I saw may have been because of the addition of a dye.  The crusts seemed also to be more cakelike and crumbly than other types of crusts.  I bought a black Chicago Metallic deep-dish pan and experimented with deep-dish pizzas on my son, hoping that I wouldn't end up having to administer the Heimlich maneuver.   I don't think I ever really succeeded in replicating the deep-dish pizzas I had in the restaurants.

Is your recipe anything like the ones I tried in the Chicago area?  If not, do you have an idea what it was that I had?  I have looked at several recipes for doughs for deep-dish pizzas, including some at this site, but apart from percentages of ingredients (including a relatively high fat content) and the use of pans, etc., they seem quite similar.  The one recipe I tried produced a crust that tasted fine but it wasn't like what I recalled from my Chicago days.

Peter
« Last Edit: August 27, 2004, 09:27:32 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline giotto

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2004, 02:47:23 AM »
Yeah, unfortunately I've had the same experience.  I tried the one in American Pie, hoping it would be closer.  But the "crust" simply was not anything close to all the pies I have enjoyed throughout the Chicago perimeter.  And I'm talking some serious deep dish pies.  When I use cornmeal, the doughs come out too dry, crumbly or stiff.   That's why I was asking if the "crust" came out stiff.  

The only time I have had anything close was a very long time ago at another Gino's East near Manhattan beach, CA.  I've seen recipes on the internet suggesting some of the popular Chicago pizzerias-- but I doubt they come close.  They just don't say anthing different to me.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2004, 02:53:08 AM by giotto »

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2004, 09:33:46 PM »
Most Chicago area deep dish pizzas do not use cornmeal,  the color comes from a food coloring.  Forget what it is called.

Honestly it has been a long time since I had a pizza from Chicago (Had Uno's 1x and Gino's East 2xs) so I can't really compare mine.  The one thing I remember about them was the crust being tender with a crisp exterior from the oil in the pan.

The one in American pie is in my opinion the one big failure of the book.

No, my crust (ie after cooked) is not stiff and one of the thing I really like about is it a great pizza to reheat.  "It's just as good the second day!".

I might have more information on true Chicago style pizza in about 6 to 9 months (Hopefully 9).

DKM

Offline giotto

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2004, 02:55:03 AM »
You know, now that I think about it, the most remarkable thing about the crust is that the "pie" is so outrageous and sometimes so deep that I always admired the fact that the crust could handle it without really standing out.

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2004, 08:07:05 PM »
That is true and I think mine does that.

DKM

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2004, 07:35:05 AM »
Hey Devon, we need to finish up your Chicago recipe page for the site!  8)
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2004, 09:47:45 AM »
After all the pictures I have a chicago styled scheduled for sometime this week.  Made thin crust last week and American style the week before so the timing is right.

Randy

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2004, 09:26:50 PM »
Hey Devon, we need to finish up your Chicago recipe page for the site!  8)

Hey Steve,

Just found that e-mail yesterday.

I basiclly forgot with all I have been though over the last few months.  I've started back to work this week so I'm planning on making one this weekend (A slice makes a great lunch)

DKM

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2004, 08:02:28 AM »
Making my Chicago dough today for Thursday.  Will be using Crisco.

Randy

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2004, 09:34:28 AM »
Here's a peek at DKM's page. Hopefully we'll be able to put the wraps on this soon.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/dkm_chicago.php

This page is going to be the "new" look for the website. I've added a whitish transparent background behind the recipe for easier readability, and I've changed the format of the recipe. And I'm going to include both weight and volumetric measurements. What do you think?

And, speaking of DKM's page, does anyone else want  to volunteer to have their favorite recipe posted on the main website?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2004, 09:38:00 AM by Steve »
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.