Author Topic: 24 hour counter or fridge....  (Read 2786 times)

Offline Jackitup

24 hour counter or fridge....
« on: July 25, 2007, 02:52:57 PM »
For those who have done both, which way do you prefer for flavor and texture...24 hours on the counter or prolonged proofing in the fridge? I think I remember reading some doing the fridge proof for 5-6 days. Just wondering how you results compared between the two.
Jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: 24 hour counter or fridge....
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 03:53:59 PM »
For texture the room temp rise is better, for flavor the fridge rise is better. 

Offline Jack

• Pizza; it's what's for dinner, breakfast........
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 04:28:30 PM »
For texture the room temp rise is better, for flavor the fridge rise is better. 

I use a 2 day minimum, seven or more day prefered, fridge rise for my NY Style pies and 6-8 hour room temp rise for my Sicilian pies.

It's never easy, is it?

Jack
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 04:30:19 PM by Jack »

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 05:07:23 PM »
No doubt on the counter for the cracker recipe, the flavor.
Very close to my favorite pizza.

Randy

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 11:00:13 AM »
Thanks guys, I'll be making my crust later today with the Kyrol, High Glutin flour I recently bought.
Jon

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 12:32:44 PM »
Jon,  I am so sorry, I didn't notice that this question was posted in the cracker crust thread.  Because of the low hydration of these doughs I definitely find that the room temp rise works AMAZING for flavor.  These crusts get a very strong almost beer like flavor no matter how they are fermented because of the lack of oxygen available to the yeast.

On another note, Kyrol is amazing flour, probably my favorite right along with all trumps, but beware.  This flour is bromated (which is a known carcinogen).  Try not to breathe too much of the flour in when you are working with it.  Luckily with cracker crusts the dough will more than likely be fully cooked, so you won't have to worry too much about ingesting the bromate when you are eating the pizza.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 01:10:32 PM »
Thanks for the input. As a Critical Care Respiratory Therapist I know well not to breathe in 'ANY' foriegn dusts and such. Good info for others though. Can't wait to dress the pizza tomorrow. It'll be topped with onions, gr peppers, mushrooms, bacon and fried pepperoni. The fried pepperoni got started thinking, I always like those overdone crispy ones the best so why not crispy them up first?? Now I cut the pepperoni rings into strips, fry them til crisp as I do the bacon, drain off the fat on paper towels and voila'....crispy topping. Maybe a little italian sausage too....
Jon