Author Topic: Re Napoli  (Read 4919 times)

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
Re Napoli
« on: July 28, 2007, 02:26:56 PM »
More places to check out and some provocative comments.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Settling_It_Forever_Where_Is_The_Worlds_Best_Pizza
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline tonyp0387

Re: Re Napoli
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 05:28:41 PM »
I think who ever wrote that article is mistaken by saying that in Naples they don't eat real pizza. That was the first style of pizza ever made and in the US we changed it. So technically we don't eat real pizza.

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 05:31:53 PM »
I think who ever wrote that article is mistaken by saying that in Naples they don't eat real pizza. That was the first style of pizza ever made and in the US we changed it. So technically we don't eat real pizza.

What?  Where did you read that?  I see this, but that's it: "The vast majority of pizzerias in Naples, the birthplace of pizza, have no clue on how to make real pizza."

Just because they are in Naples doesn't mean they didn't change it also.

- aba

Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline tonyp0387

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 05:37:55 PM »
The article suggest that real pizza is the type of NY pie you see everywhere in the States.

Offline David

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2007, 06:07:37 PM »
The article suggest that real pizza is the type of NY pie you see everywhere in the States.

Where is that suggested?
Isn't it fascinating how we can read the same article and extract completely different stances? Wonderful stuff............
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline tonyp0387

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2007, 06:26:14 PM »
) The vast majority of pizzerias in Italy, the nation of pizza, have no clue on how to make real pizza.

3) The vast majority of pizzerias in Naples, the birthplace of pizza, have no clue on how to make real pizza.

Where did you go to school?????

Offline David

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2007, 06:54:45 PM »
Where did you go to school?????

:-[
Well I do not wish to take anything out of context or appear contentious,so anyone should  feel free to follow the original link and read the article in full.However my interpretation of the authors comments and question regarding yours were specifically formed from the following remarks by the author:

"There are just a few things about pizza I can state with absolute certainty.

1) What passes for pizza in North America, UK, etc. is a very tasty savoury pie. It is nowhere near what is really a pizza."

"Keep in mind that original, real pizza is margherita. Dough, Tomatoes, Mozzarella, Basil and Oil. No pineapple/anchovy/chili/dogfood combinations here."

"New York street pizza is a celebration of culinary greatness, but in the very "strict" qualification it does not qualify as "real" pizza. Don't get me wrong, I love NY pizza with pepperoni, mushrooms, etc. as a taste of its own and every time I'm in the Big Apple, I consume my weight in it, but IMHO there is something about the wood-fired oven original margherita simplicity that puts it in a league of its own. Yes, eat great pizza and you may not "live longer" but you'll definitely live happier! :)"

Offline tonyp0387

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2007, 10:34:42 PM »
I agree.

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2007, 12:55:46 AM »
Apparently I went to the same school as David.  ???

- aba
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline Evietoo

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2007, 03:42:54 PM »

I think if there are 12,000 pizzerias in Naples, that it is easily believable that the majority do not produce the highest quality pizzas.

Offline tonyp0387

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2007, 02:33:48 AM »
I would disagree with that commit they all come from the same school, im sure there are places better then others but i bet you could basically go just about anywhere and get a  good pizza,  just as if you were in NY 90 percent of places make a pretty good pie but there are some places better then others of course. Go to the middle of the country like alabama, kansas etc. could you imagine what there pizza taste likes.?????? YUK.

Offline othafa9

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2007, 05:17:53 AM »
Go to the middle of the country like alabama, kansas etc. could you imagine what there pizza taste likes.?????? YUK.

Thats a silly comment.  Why would you think the pizza would be so bad in "the country"? please explain.

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2007, 11:20:12 AM »
I would disagree with that commit they all come from the same school, im sure there are places better then others but i bet you could basically go just about anywhere and get a  good pizza,  just as if you were in NY 90 percent of places make a pretty good pie but there are some places better then others of course. Go to the middle of the country like alabama, kansas etc. could you imagine what there pizza taste likes.?????? YUK.

I wish there was a "foot in mouth" emoticon... Or a little smiley face digging himself further in a hole.

- aba
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline tonyp0387

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2007, 08:53:59 PM »
 Anybody who lives on the east coast knows very well the quality of Italian food in general is 100% better in the Tri State Area then anywhere else in the USA, i have been all over the country except California and the food has always been terrible. People in the Middle,South and Mid west,of the country just do not know good food and it shows in there products, this is not a biased opinion its just plain FACT..(At least Italian Food) I'm sure there are exceptions but the majority of places stink especially pizza. I was in Memphis and I had the best Barbecued Ribs, Chicken Pork Etc, I ever tasted but you could not find that quality in the Tri State Area. So for Italian Food I know for a fact that you can't get good pizza in 90% of places, and if you think its good you probably don't know good pizza. It's like me telling you i know a place in NJ that has the best Gumbo better then anywhere in New Orleans, If i told you that and if you were from Louisiana, you would laugh at me too. Best Italian food is in the Tri State Area in the US and thats just plain fact.

Offline sourdough girl

• First the bread, NOW the pizza dough!
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2007, 09:32:40 PM »
tony0387,
I'm certainly glad that you explained yourself and qualified your statement to  ITALIAN food because it could have gotten really ugly... you might have ended up with more feet in your mouth than just your own!

I will agree that regional cuisine is an important part of our heritage... and the Italians did settle to a large degree in your area, not mine (Puget Sound).  However, there's also the issue of some transplants (or students of the art of true pizza) to other areas... like Arizona, for instance!  I don't think you're going to argue that there can be anomalies within your generality!

~sd
Never trust a skinny cook!

Offline tonyp0387

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2007, 10:03:38 PM »
All I know is what i taste and i did say there is exceptions thats why i said about 90%.

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2007, 02:21:42 AM »
And I still say 90% of stuff in Italy, NYC, New England, East Coast, Arizona, California, etc. etc. are ALL crap.  The 90/10 rule applies to more than just wealth.  ;-)

- aba
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline sourdough girl

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2007, 02:54:14 AM »
I've never been so lucky as to have had pizza in Italy (altho' I HAVE been to Europe... but was more interested in art than food 30+ years ago!) but, I say to both of you, aba and tony.... I guess that's why we're all here, isn't it?? So that we don't have put up with someone else's CRAP.... we are on the quest for the grail... nirvana...  finding the PERFECT PIZZA recipe as best we can duplicate it in our own ovens, with our own mixers....   you catch my drift?

I gotta tell you, I am a product tester for several companies... tonight, I had to test a frozen pizza!!  Overnighted to my home packed in dry ice... I don't know who produced it... cracker crust (not my fav) basically NO SAUCE... very little cheese...  my worst FAILURE is better than what I tasted tonight!

So, yes, there's a lot of crap out there... the public is deluded... but WE don't have to put up with it do we?? 

So, tony... I guess my best comment to you at this point is that you're preaching to the choir!

~sd

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2007, 03:05:09 AM »
how do i get to be a product tester?  :-)

- aba
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline sourdough girl

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2007, 10:39:53 PM »
aba,
If you're really interested, PM me!  I've tested rotary cheese graters (MSRP $25), this is the second pizza... and other food items like rice mixes, soups... the only "pay" is the free item, (and I pay NOTHING out-of-pocket), but it's still fun!

~sd