Author Topic: Re Napoli  (Read 4907 times)

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Re Napoli
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2007, 02:41:02 PM »
sourdough girl.  Have you ever found a cheese grater that gives large pieces like the ones you see in professional pizzerias?  Those hobart attachments make such large cheese strands, and I am convinced that it makes the final pizza's cheese a much better texture and burn less.  Now when I am using dry aged mozzarella I have to hand dice all my cheese because all my home graters make the pieces too fine.

Offline sourdough girl

• First the bread, NOW the pizza dough!
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2007, 04:24:17 PM »
scott r,

The rotary grater I tested is a Zyliss and it's about twice the size of my other, older rotary Zyliss.  It came with two drums, one of which has holes a little larger than the largest holes on a normal box grater, which I think is great because I can get the larger shreds that I also prefer without fear for my knuckles.  It also has a larger hopper so that I can grate larger pieces of cheese, but ergonomically, it has issues (at least for me) because, since it's so large, the thumb rest is too far away from the drum, making it difficult to put proper pressure on the cheese.  Larger hands might have an easier time of it.  But, other than that small problem, I'm very happy with it for grating cheese for pizza.  As you say, I really think it's better with coarser strands of cheese, otherwise it all just turns into one molten pile of glorp.  You may as well put sliced cheese on!

I'm sending this link to the grater on Zyliss' website, but not sure that it will bring up the grater page directly as it appears that the site doesn't give a separate URL to each page, so, it is item # 11355 under United States products if the link isn't direct: http://www.zyliss.com/  I'm happy to see that it shows the price as $5 less than I was told a couple of years ago when I tested it.  Here's a link to it on eBay:  http://tinyurl.com/yv9xr2 where it's selling for the price I was quoted.  I really think you'd like this compared to hand dicing all that cheese.  I don't think it makes shreds as large as the Hobart can, but it's certainly larger than any other home grater I have seen.

~sd
Never trust a skinny cook!

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2007, 04:27:48 PM »
thank you so much!  It took forever to figure out why I was never satisfied with my cheese when the pizzerias I loved were using the same brand.  This is the answer.  I still want to try to find one that can do hobart sized shreds, but this is definitely my backup.

Offline sourdough girl

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2007, 04:36:14 PM »
You're welcome!  Glad I could help you!

Just had a thought... (which you've probably already thought of...)  I have not seen the entire list of attachments for my KA mixer... I wonder if they have some sort of grating attachment?

Off to KA's website!

~sd

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2007, 05:04:10 PM »
scott,

A dormant member once recommended the cheese grater shown in the photo at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3376.msg28553.html#msg28553 (Reply 2). For the link to the source (Fantes), see Reply 4 in the same thread.

Peter

Offline sourdough girl

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2007, 05:15:31 PM »
Pete-zza,
Thanks for the link... that's a "greater" looking grater than my ergonomically-challenged Zyliss!    :-D   Better output, too... may have to put that on my Christmas list!

~sd

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2007, 05:21:18 PM »
thanks peter