Author Topic: Tonights pizza  (Read 11013 times)

Offline giotto

• Italy has DOC, we have NY standards.
Re:Tonights pizza
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2004, 07:38:57 PM »
Well, I used to use the 1st approach noted by Pete-zza; but I've found that his 2nd approach gives me comparable results, with a slight twist from the 1st approach.  

The difference is that I like to apply the salt to a 2nd set of flour, which I stage into the kneading process.  I do this for a few reasons.  It gives me a far more thorough mixture, it can be done with even inexpensive machinery (although, I've watched some of the best tasting pizzas produced in stages with Hobarts that can easily handle 50lbs of flour and produce more than 70 large pizza doughs) and it complements some work that I am doing with starter doughs.

I've always liked the idea of instant yeast and how it can lessen my efforts at times.  But the availability of active yeast has kept me driving the distance.

Regarding recipes, I like to know what works together and discover those little secrets that bring them all together.  From there, it's a matter of meeting individual tastes.  I need to take the time to bulletize this information.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2004, 07:53:47 PM by giotto »

Offline Steve

• Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2004, 08:02:29 PM »
I've always liked the idea of instant yeast and how it can lessen my efforts at times.  But the availability of active yeast has kept me driving the distance.

Instant yeast = rapid rise yeast = bread machine yeast.

It's all the same, just marketed differently.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2004, 09:50:28 PM »
Except bread machine yeast has ascobic acid added.

Randy

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2004, 10:41:11 PM »
As I understand the different types of yeast, instant yeast and bread machine yeast are the same, and have ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) added to further speed up the action of the yeasts and to strengthen the dough (by preventing the gluten bonds from breaking down).  So-called "RapidRise" yeasts, such as sold by Fleischmann's, for example, is a different strain of yeast altogether from the other yeasts mentioned above.  They work much faster, by about 50 percent (basically eliminating one of the rise times), but their cells also die faster, making them less desirable for doughs, such as pizza doughs, that may be subjected to long periods of fermentation.  Like instant yeast, RapidRise yeast requires no hydration and can thus be combined with the other dry ingredients.   RapidRise yeast also contains ascorbic acid.   Active dry yeast does not contain ascorbic acid.  

The lines are getting blurrier all the time as yeast producers modify their yeasts.  For example, some active dry yeasts that normally call for hydration (like the SAF Active Dry Yeast) can be mixed in with half of the flour and other dry ingredients, and it can also be used in bread machines.  The RapidRise yeast can also be used in bread machines.  

Peter