Author Topic: A pizza recipe worth trying  (Read 3909 times)

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
A pizza recipe worth trying
« on: August 31, 2004, 08:50:06 AM »
Hi guys, last night my dad wanted to know what a pizza peel was so I started Googling around for some images, found a few, but more interesting is I found a webpage with what seems to be a really good recipe, I'll probabally print this out and try it.

the link is here : http://home.pacbell.net/curbow/recipes/pizza.html

But I'll post the contents below in case the link to the guy's recipe ever disappears.
------------------------------------
the recipe and introduction start below:

Pizza

I've tried making pizza crust several times over the years, but was never successful. After watching Good Eats on FoodTV, I understood what I was doing wrong and was able to make a very good thin crust!

This will be much easier if you have a KitchenAid (or similiar) stand mixer with dough hook.

Bread flour has more protein than regular flour, and bread flour for bread machines has the MOST protein. It's the protein (gluten) that gives the right kind of crust. I use King Author brand flour.

This recipe is modified from one on the FoodTV website. It was originally provided by Alton Brown. I've annotated the recipe with my experiece.

Enjoy...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon pure olive oil
3/4 cup warm water
2 cups bread flour (for bread machines)
1 teaspoon yeast
2 teaspoons olive oil
Olive oil, for the pizza crust
Flour, for dusting the pizza peel

Toppings:

1 1/2 ounces pizza sauce (optional)

1/2 teaspoon each chopped fresh herbs such as thyme, oregano, red pepper flakes, for example (optional)

A combination of 3 grated cheeses such as mozzarella, provolone, asiago.

Directions:
Mix sugar, salt and water and then heat to about 115-120F. If the temperature is over 140F, it will kill the yeast. Add yeast and let sit for 15 minutes -- it should have a good yeasty smell.

Place the olive oil, water-yeast mixture and flour into the mixer's work bowl.

Using the paddle attachment, start the mixer on low and mix until the dough just comes together, forming a ball. Lube the hook attachment with cooking spray. Attach the hook to the mixer and knead for 5 minutes on medium speed.

Tear off a small piece of dough and flatten into a disc. Stretch the dough until thin enough to see some light thru it when you hold it up to the light. If the dough tears before it is thin enough, knead the dough for an additional 1-2 minutes and check again.

Roll the pizza dough into a smooth ball on the countertop. Place into a stainless steel or glass bowl. Add 2 teaspoons of olive oil to the bowl and toss to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 18 to 24 hours.

That's right, in the refrigerator, and overnight. The yeast will still work, but slower. It will produce smaller bubbles that are more evenly distributed -- and you won't have to punch it down and let it rise again!

Place the pizza stone on the lowest rack of a cold oven and turn the oven to its highest temperature, about 500F.

Split the pizza dough into 2 equal parts using a knife or a dough scraper.

Flatten into a disk onto the countertop using your palm. Now fold the dough into a ball.

Wet hands barely with water and rub them onto the countertop to dampen the surface. Roll the ball of dough on the surface until it tightens into a smooth ball. Cover one ball with a tea towel and rest for 30 minutes.

Repeat the steps with the other piece of dough. If not baking the remaining pizza immediately, spray the inside of a ziptop bag with cooking spray and place the dough ball into the bag. Refrigerate for up to 6 days.

Using your hands, form a lip around the edges of the pizza. To do this, grab the circle of dough between your index finger and thumb about 1 1/2 inches from the edge. Your hands should be at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock. Now pull slightly. Rotate the dough slightly, and repeat until you've gone all the way around.

Sprinkle a tablespoon or so of flour onto the peel and place the dough onto the peel.

Stretch the dough into a round disc, rotating after each stretch. Toss the dough in the air if you dare. Spinning the dough will help stretch it evenly. You can also just lay the dough on the peel and pull on opposite sides with your hands, but it won't be as even.

Shake the pizza on the peel to be sure that it will slide onto the pizza stone.

If you want a crisp crust, dress and bake the pizza immediately.
For a chewy texture, rest the dough for 30 minutes first.

Brush the rim of the pizza with olive oil. Spread the pizza sauce evenly onto the pizza. Sprinkle the herbs onto the pizza and top with the cheese.

Slide the pizza onto the stone and bake for 7-10 minutes, or until bubbly and golden brown on the bottom. Remove from the oven and let rest for 3 minutes before slicing.

Yield: Yield: 2 pizzas

Prep Time: 18 hours 30 minutes

Cook Time: 10 minutes

2002, 2003 David Curbow All Rights Reserved.

Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
Re:A pizza recipe worth trying
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2004, 08:01:07 PM »
oops, thanks for moving that I guess I posted it in the wrong place  :P
Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

pizzapan