Author Topic: Viking Gourmet-Glo Infrared Broilers?  (Read 3936 times)

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
Viking Gourmet-Glo Infrared Broilers?
« on: July 29, 2007, 03:44:25 AM »
Anyone have experience with the Viking "Gourmet-Glo" infrared broilers?  They claim 1500 degree operation.  I'm wondering how this works... i.e., what is the max time it lets you keep it on, etc... Would be pretty damn crazy to heat up a stone to 900+ under one and have a "dome" at these heat levels above a pie in a regular freestanding gas range..

- aba
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline avphile

Re: Viking Gourmet-Glo Infrared Broilers?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 03:27:48 PM »
I was wondering about the same feature on an American Range. It claims 1,500d searing temperature for meat and wondering how this wound work on pizzas?

Offline flyboy4ual

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 04:49:20 PM »
I have a Viking kitchen.  Viking is horrible and their customer service is the worse. I don't have what your talking about, but if it is like the rest of their garbage I would stay away. 

Scott D.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 05:44:10 PM »
blue star rocks, and gives you the highest btu burner that is legal in a home range, plus infared burner in the oven, and at the same price or less than viking.    My friends viking cant do a true stovetop sear on a steak or get a wok hot enough for us.   Blue star can.     When I had an issue they paid an independent tech to come out and set up my burners, then reset my warranty period.   couldn't be happier.   

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 06:20:17 PM »
Scott how is the Bluestar compared to a Wolf? My dad wants to redo the kitchen so he wants to get all new appliances.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 06:34:45 PM »
When I was researching my kitchen the best place I found for this type of info was the Gardenweb forums.   Its serious home cooks like ourselves putting these things through their paces in their own homes with the type of real world reviews I trusted.   I couldn't be happier with my choice.   From what I was able to tell the Blue Star is the best way to go (for many reasons), but that was almost two years ago, and things may have changed.   Your best bet might be getting your price on line or on ebay, then asking our local distributer eurostoves to match the price.   that worked for me.   Good luck!   

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 06:50:33 PM »
Thanks a lot Scott. It's funny because our deck collapsed because of all the snow so my dad was like screw it I'm making the kitchen bigger. When I heard that the first thing I did was look at new ovens and refrigerators. I'm glad this topic popped back up.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 06:58:29 PM »
I have the Wolf, and it is a monster. Very hard to clean though.

John

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 10:20:44 PM »
I also Have the wolf (2 of them ) dual fuel 36" and the wall oven both have the stone setting with separate element that goes in on the bottom when used in the stone setting. Nice thick brick heats up to 650+ great oven big$$ I would also consider the GE oven with the 2 ovens ( posted earlier) it has pizza oven setting for the smaller oven on top looks good!  I have had trouble with getting info on beeping from dual fuels , shutting off after heat up and now my Wall unit is down :( just a heads up big bucks not allways better!! Sure you Will ave fun shopping  you in Jersey go to Karl's Appliance low tax in S. Orange and great prices
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 11:39:19 PM »
well that sounds like it probably has the blue star beat for pizza!   a dedicated 650 degree stone with a dedicated burner is a great thing im sure!        I have a different oven for pizza so it wasn't a concern for me, but if I didn't have that and pizza was the goal, I think the wolf would be the way to go.   

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 12:52:55 AM »
You might look into a Direct Buy membership. I never checked to see if it was true, but someone told me that you could get Wolf/Sub Zero through them at big discounts.

Craig
Pizza is not bread.