Author Topic: Bonta Pizza Sauce or Pizzaiolo Pizza Sauce  (Read 2325 times)

Offline cougarblue

Bonta Pizza Sauce or Pizzaiolo Pizza Sauce
« on: August 01, 2007, 06:34:43 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with either one of these sauces?  Do they stand on their own or do they need to be doctored?  I am looking for a great all purpose sauce and as I have searched through these forums, its seems so subjective.  I have tried the 6 in 1 with oregano on top but want a little more than that.  Suggestions?  Are these sauces worth trying?  Thanks a ton.....I love reading the forums here.....you all know your stuff and your passions for pizza is infectious.

Mike

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
Re: Bonta Pizza Sauce or Pizzaiolo Pizza Sauce
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 10:52:19 PM »
I'm not sure what you are looking for out of a simple tomato.  The 6-in-1's hold up their end by being great tomatoes.  It's up to you to make your sauce.  As you can see, they tried and shot their wad with the Bonta.
 Do this.  Dump a can of 6-in-1's in a sieve and let it drain for 15 minutes reserving the liquid.  Experiment with the seasonings you favor and mix.  If it's a little stiff (each can is different) you can mix back some of the liquid. 
I don't know what style you're making but these should be perfect for your needs. 

Good luck.

PizzaPolice

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 03:33:48 AM »
Mike, even the thinnest of the three bontas is basically a concentrate.  Almost tomato paste, so it needs to be thinned out with water.  I was shocked to find out that the sauce made with this method is actually quite good for a NY street style slice.  It has been years since I have tried it, but if I remember correctly the Pizzaiolo is much closer to the consistency that you actually want, so it requires less doctoring to be ready to go.  6 in 1's are similar to the Bonta, just with some bigger chunks mixed in and already at the proper consistency for pizza.  I would only reccomend that someone go with Bonta if they were trying to keep their food costs down.

Offline JAG

• The passion of the crust!
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 01:37:39 PM »
Mike,

I have tried both of these sauces and I prefer the Pizzaiolo over the Bonta. Actually all I use now is the Pizzaiolo. It is seasoned nicely and I really like the fact I can use it straight out of the can and it tastes great, (IMO). I do add about 1 ounce of water to 8 ounces of sauce simply because the temp and time I use for baking tends to make the straight sauce a little to much like paste.

John 

Offline cougarblue

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 09:16:04 PM »
All,

Thanks for the input.....how about the Full Red?  I am so confused by the number of different products available from the same company.

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 09:32:21 PM »
All,

how about the Full Red? 
That's what I'm using now and I'm very happy with it.  :)
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 09:59:41 PM »
Mike,

As you will see from this PMQ Think Tank thread, http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?p=11866#11866, the Stanislaus Full Red is very popular among pizza operators. You will note other favorites also.

Peter

Offline JAG

• The passion of the crust!
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 06:00:37 AM »
Mike,

Check out the Stanislaus site. http://www.stanislaus.com/home_pass.asp It has a description of the sauces, their uses, and their ingredients. Some, "Ready To Use", some used as a base. You'll get the idea once you get to the site.

John

pizzapan