Author Topic: Loo's Malnati's recipe - volume measurements  (Read 15782 times)

Offline loowaters

• Where's my knife and fork?
Re: Loo's Malnati's recipe - volume measurements
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2007, 09:56:12 AM »
Great looking pie you slapped together there Goose!

Loo
Using pizza to expand my waistline since 1969!

Offline goosen1

• What can Brown do for you??
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2007, 11:54:16 AM »
Anytime Randy..

Somewhere in this abyss of this forum, It was said that they strain the can of tomatoes to get some of the juice out so the pizza would not get too wet. Figuring that if you did drain some of it out you would probably lose a few ounces by doing that.

Goose
Arguing with a truckdriver is like wrestling with a pig in the mud.. After a while.... you realize the pig enjoys it!!!!

Offline goosen1

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2007, 04:26:44 PM »
Great looking pie you slapped together there Goose!

Loo

Thanks Loo

I have another one sitting on the side for tonight!!!
Arguing with a truckdriver is like wrestling with a pig in the mud.. After a while.... you realize the pig enjoys it!!!!

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2007, 09:51:49 PM »
Thanks guys for the great replies. 

Goose, I think over time I had been cutting back on the sauce and the quality had fallen off.  Seems like a Chicago deep dish is driven buy the sauce.  The one last night I increased the sauce the flavor really jumped up.  I think I was pretty close to your ratio.  Now that I think back,  DKM uses about the same amount of sauce on his deep dish.  I think he posted he uses the whole can.

DKM and Loo,  I was thinking back to the TV video that shows Lou's dough on a board and a person cutting off hunks of the risen dough and throwing it into a dough baller.  I was guessing the dough had been poured onto the board and left to tise before balling and placing in the cooler.  I have made a bunch per DKM's recipe and went right in the cooler and they were some kind of good eating.  I think the next time I will try the full rise before the cooler like Loo suggest and see if I can tell the difference.

Again, Thanks DKM. Goose and Loo.
Randy

Randy,

I've used about every different proofing technique there is, not so much because I was trying to, but becuase my style is "oops, left in on the counter", "Hey this needs to proof quicker", "I'm going to be gone when I should do "X""

I hope nobody takes this wrong, but a lot of things don't matter to me, as long as the pizza tastes good.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2007, 10:25:35 PM »

I hope nobody takes this wrong, but a lot of things don't matter to me, as long as the pizza tastes good.

DKM

I will go along with that.

Randy

Offline sourdough girl

• First the bread, NOW the pizza dough!
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2007, 10:45:49 PM »
Me, too!
I just posted on another thread that food (pizza!) is both art and science.  I, too, enjoy reading all the minute details of others' trials and errors, but I enjoy the art even more than the science!  In the case of food, sometimes science is needed to create the art, but I'm still focused on the art!

~sd
Never trust a skinny cook!

Offline goosen1

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2007, 08:08:51 PM »
I can really say that I am into making pizza for fun. Yes, like SD said that it is like an art and science, But I just really like to see the look on my kids face when they get to make their own pizza and the expressions on my family and friends when they take their first bite.. That is the priceless moment that I love.

Goose

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2007, 10:52:24 AM »
Loo, how important do you judge the two rises before going into the cooler?  Have you tried it going straight to the cooler from the mixer?

I assume you knocked the dough down after the second rise just before you bagged it an into the cooler.  Is this correct?

Thanks a bunch.

Randy

Offline loowaters

« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2007, 05:46:04 AM »
Randy, I honestly don't know if the warm rise is necessary it's just something I've always done.  I haven't tried straight to the fridge with this dough but I have with my Gino's dough and it still seems to come out fine.  Yes, it does get punched down and balled up before going into the ziplock bag.

Loo

Offline goosen1

« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2007, 07:08:09 PM »
After I mix this dough, I let it rest for around 30 minutes and then put it into the fridge. If I make the buttercrust, I'll let it rest for 10 minutes then put into the fridge. I won't touch the dough until after the three hour warmup the day I make it. Why??? I don't know!!! I guess it felt like the right thing. Am I doing this wrong??

Goose

Offline loowaters

« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2007, 08:43:53 PM »
Goose, while I haven't tasted any of your pizzas, I have seen them and it looks like you aren't doing anything wrong.

Loo

Offline goosen1

« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2007, 08:58:30 PM »
Goose, while I haven't tasted any of your pizzas, I have seen them and it looks like you aren't doing anything wrong.

Loo
I just made 2 dough balls, One with your recipe and the other is my buttercrust . Normally, I use olive oil in the pan but this time I will use regular Crisco on your recipe and with the buttercrust, I will use butter flavored Crisco. I'm going to have ALOT of pizza this weekend... I'll Keep you posted with these pizzas. Like always, I'll have a few pictures if I don't burn them up!!!

Goose

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2007, 09:14:21 PM »
Reads right to me and if it taste good to you then it is perfect.

Randy

Offline Witt

• Former Chicago Resident
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2008, 09:38:40 PM »
This is from an older thread regarding Lou's style..deep dish..etc.  Anyway, I'm mostly a Gino's person....but in doing this recipe, how much cheese would you suggest?  I was assuming about 12oz-16oz..I realize it mentions 16oz in the recipe.  Is 16oz going to be hard to melt well without using the broiler?  Thoughts on how much cheese is just about right? 

(maybe about 20 ounces of sauce..6n1..for a 14inch....or is that too much?)

Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 09:42:23 PM by Witt »

Offline loowaters

« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2008, 06:43:51 AM »
Witt,

You'll use 14-16 oz. of mozz for the 14".  I'm not sure why you'd need the broiler to melt it, though.  It'll be in there long enough that it will melt nicely.  Sauce?  I've never measured it out for a deep dish.  I  eyeball it and when I've got good coverage, into the oven it goes.

Loo

Offline Witt

« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2008, 12:38:36 AM »
Loo....I've just had times when the slices didn't quite seem as melted for an ideal pizza....and using the broiler (as shown in the Gino's You tube Vid) seems to do a good job of hitting the cheese good..if needed..

Thanks tho....gonna make it Friday during the games.  Maybe I will take a pic (I know peeps like pics on here) of the pie....unless it sucks..haha

Offline loowaters

« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2008, 08:36:32 PM »
We like pics even if it sucks.  We analyze the suck and try to explain the suckification and then help you rectify the full on suckitude of the pie.  Un-suck your pie...that's what we do here.

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2008, 09:56:06 AM »
We like pics even if it sucks.  We analyze the suck and try to explain the suckification and then help you rectify the full on suckitude of the pie.  Un-suck your pie...that's what we do here.

Never thought of it quite like that before........
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline goosen1

« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2008, 09:49:46 PM »

HAHAHAHAHAHA.... Loo, Now that is funny!!!

Offline Witt

« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2008, 11:11:27 PM »
I didn't have the camera handy, I was too busy being a hungry phat-ass.. ::)

Turned out decent though....I noticed the crust was much more biscuit-like..flaking apart..than the Ginos style I typically make (via this website).  I made 2 pizzas worth of dough..and made 1 pie (14 inch) on Sat night....and will use the same dough (fridge) tomorrow.  Sausage saturday..and Pepp on Monday.  The wife (who is from Montana) like it better than the Ginos style....hmmm.  I used a little less sauce..which I've found can kinda be sought after by non-Chicago folks. 

I will remember to get a few pics tmrw night..I know things get dull around here.  Don't be expecting anything fantastic..haha

pizzapan