Author Topic: Purchasing for a Woodburning Brick Oven Pizzeria/Restaurant  (Read 12091 times)

Offline frankiedahamma

Purchasing for a Woodburning Brick Oven Pizzeria/Restaurant
« on: August 01, 2007, 11:00:52 PM »
-I am in the process of due diligence for a wood/gas burning brick oven for my restaurant.  I'm looking for an oven best suited for Naples Style Pizza that will bake a 60-90 second pie and sustain temperatures of 1000 degrees. 
I would prefer an oven that is prefabricated and wood/gas assisted.

So far these are the ovens that I have in consideration in no particular order:
Woodstone Naples Style Oven Dual Temperature Wood/Gas Fired Oven
Earthstone Model 130-PAGW
Forno Bravo Modena G120
Acunto Mod. 4 1/2 Palmi
S.F. Allestimenti di Stefano Ferra Mobile Oven

Any experience, thoughts, or input as to help making my selection would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Purchasing for a Woodburning Brick Oven Pizzeria/Restaurant
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 10:44:47 AM »
Will the manufacturers you list certify their ovens for commercial use at 1000F? That is a question worth asking. I can say that my Earthstone 90 does indeed sustain 1000F temps and bakes pies in less than 60 seconds, but my oven is for residential use and I usually bake no more than 6 pies per firing. I have no experience with whether it could stand up to daily use in a commercial oven.

Offline frankiedahamma

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 12:45:24 PM »
Thanks for the reply.
None of the ovens that I have been able to find offer any kind of certification unfortunatley.

-However, the Earthstone offers a 5 year limited warranty.

-The Woodstone offers no guarantee or warranty.  However, they claim that within the 10 years of their existence every single one of their ovens are still up and running.  They are also used in highly commercial high volume restaurants such as Wolfgang Puck, California Pizza Kitchen, Carrabas, and in Universal Studios.

-The Acunto oven I spoke to Gianni Acunto over the phone and he said his ovens never break down and was willing to give me a guarantee for as long as I wanted.

-The Forno Bravo and the Ferrara Ovens I'm not sure as to whether or not they provide any kind of warranty or not.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 12:51:26 PM »
I really wasn't referring to the warranty. I was thinking more along the lines of whether using your oven every day at 1000F for x hours per day is within the manufacturers' recommended operating parameters. I wouldn't buy from anyone that couldn't give a positive answer to this question along with reference accounts that have doing what you want to do for a number of years.

Sorry for not being more precise.

Bill/SFNM

Offline frankiedahamma

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 01:21:59 PM »
That's a very good question and my major concern, which I was hoping you guys could chime in with some insight and experience in that regard.

The Woodstone Naples Style oven is less than a year old and I'm not familiar with any pizzerias making Naples Style pizza with that oven.  I know the California Pizza Kitchen makes so called Naples style pizza but at lower temperatures and also in the 9690 model.

I don't know of any first hand accounts of anyone using those ovens I listed for Naples style pizza.  The only restaurant owners that I have spoken to are the guys from A Mano here in New Jersey and Luzzo's in Manhattan.  A Mano has two woodburning ovens that were hand built on site and Luzzo's has an old coal burning bread oven that he is using.  A Mano has only been open for about 6-8 months and Luzzo's only for about 3 years I believe.

The only certification in some sorts was Gianni Accunto verbal guarantee that his ovens hold up to the test, I expressed to him I was opening a restaurant and told him what type of pizza I intended on making and he felt his ovens were up to the task.  But again, I don't have any knowledge or evidence of Naples Style Ovens that have been around for years and are dependable.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 01:25:47 PM by frankiedahamma »

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 01:33:06 PM »
The only one of those that I have seen in action at a naples style pizzeria is the Acunto, at Settebello in Salt Lake City.  It seemed to work pretty good.

Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 01:36:09 PM »
I talked to Woodstone at some point about an oven and they wouldn't even begin to think about giving you any kind of approval that it would work above 750 degrees or so for any length of time (probably why all their ovens are still in existence if everyone is operating below that).  Obviously Bill cranks out some amazing pies with his Earthstone, but like he said he's not sure if it can sustain those temperatures all day for a commercial application.  I'd have to think it would be fine, but I don't know.. Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

- aba
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 06:55:45 PM »
I think Elelyn Slomon uses an Earthstone in a commercial situation out in California?
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline shango

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2007, 09:53:30 PM »
comet ping-pong-earthstone, 2Amys-woodstone, RedRocks-rosito bisani, Bebo Trattoria-cirigliano forno.

Those are some of the local pizzeria's and their strictly wood burning ovens, The best out of the 3 I have used professionaly is the Bisani..

Cast your stones at will.

pizza, pizza, pizza

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2007, 12:03:09 PM »
Worth considering (post summer ..) our ovens at www.forno-napoletano.it

The one in the centre can be seen at Il Pizzaiolo in Pittsburgh.

Speak to Ron about his experience...

Ciao

Offline JPY

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2007, 03:14:53 AM »
Frankie you can ask me directly with the questions you have.  One thing I can say is that the oven that Bill has works better as it gets larger.  What ovens have you used in the past or this your first venture with wood ovens? Also a warranty is only as good as the person or company who offers it. I think that's what the saying is. ;D.  If something happens, who can actually do something about it, that's what you need to know.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 03:18:28 AM by JPY »
-JP-

Offline kiwipete

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2007, 07:01:29 AM »
If I was in your shoes, and knowing what I know (having read almost every thread on Neapolitan pizzas and ovens on this forum), I'd go with the ovens from "pizzanapoletana", even if they might cost more...

(I have no involvement with any oven manufacturer. all I know about ovens comes from this and other forums, and having built my own one )

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2007, 01:30:05 PM »
If I was in your shoes, and knowing what I know (having read almost every thread on Neapolitan pizzas and ovens on this forum), I'd go with the ovens from "pizzanapoletana", even if they might cost more...

(I have no involvement with any oven manufacturer. all I know about ovens comes from this and other forums, and having built my own one )

From what it sounds like if support/warranty is going to be an issue for them, then this wouldn't be a viable choice.

- aba
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2008, 10:05:27 PM »
Wow,
I just saw a Very light use Woodstone 5 ft oven in great shape go for $3000.00 v! It was from a shop in myrtle beach that went out quickly. Seems like a sweet deal. I paid close to that for my earthstone. They quoted retail at $21,000 is this correct?  I wanted to just grab it and store it til I might open some day dreamin. or put it my next house  it only requires 1 " clearance But I'll proably call Marci if I ever go nuts ::)
john
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline HHI-Enterprises

• My Oven
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2009, 01:27:05 AM »
I opened a Pizzeria 4 1/2 years ago with this beautiful Earthstone 160-PAGW Gas/Wood-fired stone hearth oven. This is the largest gas/wood oven Earthstone makes. This baby cost me well over $16,000 new on the truck - not to mention the $2k extra for triple stainless exhaust ducting. I made some of the best pizzas you've ever dreamed of, but I never made any money. Lots of reasons why, but that's a different topic.

Now I've got a very limited time to find a new home for this oven (and the rest of my equipment). My loss is your gain. If you're in the market, make me an offer. It is currently installed with a stone facade as shown in the photo. I can coordinate having the facade stripped and the unit readied for shipment. I'm located in the Portland, Oregon area. It is listed in the Portland/Oregon Craigslist.

Reply either as an email or on this thread if you have any interest.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 01:29:51 AM by HHI-Enterprises »

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2009, 02:50:13 AM »
haha i'm sure we'd all love to know why you didn't make any money  :(
Patrick

Offline HHI-Enterprises

• My Oven
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2009, 10:56:00 AM »
Location, Location, Location. I thought an area was going to grow faster than it did. 12.1% unemployment didn't help. And I can track to the day when the recession began back at the end of Q3 2007. Took the economists in Washington another year to figure it out.

But the oven was beautiful. Now if anyone can help a brother in need...

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2009, 12:09:49 PM »
If I was opening (wish I was) I would be on my way with a flat bed! It sure looks like a beautiful oven! Or..,  Wish I could grab it, store it, and build my next house around it! Problem is I am on the east coast.  Obviously its not as easy as it looks to make a go of  the pizza buss (even with a great pie) it in this economy (Keste is doing ok? or just novelty for now?). Although I would be willing to try with support, I have been at my job 20 yrs.its gettin a bit old and the pizzas are getting better :chef:
I have an Earthstone 90 in my back yard similar stone facade  love it!! This looks like the mother ship of my little baby, (lotta sandwich balls in that guy eh Bill ?) are you selling mixers, tools, other goodies??
John
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 12:22:20 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

pizzapan