Author Topic: canola oil?  (Read 8623 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re:canola oil?
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2004, 10:52:21 AM »
Canadave,

I recall someone asking Tom Lehmann at PMQ about whether changes were necessary for dough recipes, especially in the amount of yeast used, due to altitude considerations (my recollection is that the questioner's location was in Colorado).  Lehmann's answer was that there was no need to change the amount of yeast unless there was a 5000 foot change in altitude.   Edmonton is about 2200 feet above sea level and Dallas is 435 feet above sea level.  So I should be OK.

Peter

Offline giotto

• Italy has DOC, we have NY standards.
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2004, 06:36:29 PM »
Canadave:

Since I get the dough in the refrigerator immediately and use cool water, it doesn't get warm for long either.  Since it is colder where you are at, you are keeping the temp of the dough down and taming the activity of the yeast, which is what I was looking for.  Thanks.

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2004, 12:32:53 PM »
slight edit: the Crisco I use is their "vegetable oil"--mix of canola and soybean.  I just realized Crisco also comes in pure canola oil versions! :0

I just this weekend tried my recipe with 30 oz of flour and 2 1/3 cups of water, and kept the rest of the ingredients the same.  In terms of "workability", the dough was awesome--easy to work with, no stickiness, was able to move it to a desired diameter with no elasticity.  However, it wound up being a bit dry, and didn't rise quite as well.  I might have to slightly up the yeast content, and the water as well (might try 2 1/2 cups).

Also the WalMart Saputo cheese didn't work as well as I thought.  It's pretty watery.  I'm going today to get some "Delissio" cheese (not related to the frozen pizza company) that I saw at a local food wholesaler over the weekend.

Dave

Offline Lars

• Greetings from Venice.
    • Lars in Venice
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2004, 01:27:44 PM »
Regarding yeast - instant yeast does not require proofing and works better at a variety of temps than dry active yeast.  I use instant yeast because I can buy it by the pound and is therefore cheaper.  I've know people who use dry active yeast and do not proof it - the proofing process is just to reassure you that the yeast has not died.  Instant yeast can be added with dry ingredients (according to the package and to the book "Baking with Julia"), but I generally dissolve it in water first anyway.  Instant yeast was developed in France in the 1960's and has only recently been available to home bakers and is more resistant to damage from high temperature.  BTW, I would only use filtered tap water.

Once I made a pizza in Mexico City and forgot to take the altitude into account, and the dough rose all over the place!  It was like the episode of I Love Lucy when she and Ethyl decide to bake their own bread!  It still tasted good, and at the time, it was difficult to get good pizza in Mexico City.  When I lived in Austin, much of the pizza had way too much Mexican influence and way too much cornmeal.  I use no cornmeal, and to make a chewier texture, I substitute semolina flour for the cornmeal.  I also use semolina flour on the pizza peel instead of cornmeal, and it works just as well.

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2004, 09:49:56 AM »
I proof the yeast more out of habbit or because a given recipe calls for it.  But I am getting to the point that often just add it to the flour and go.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards