Author Topic: Back to Ischia?  (Read 1390 times)

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Back to Ischia?
« on: August 04, 2007, 11:29:08 AM »
As you may know from this thread (click here) I have been raving about making Neapolitan-style pies using the Austrian starter from sourdo.com. Well, it must be me, but the last few batches have not been as good as I would like - lacking in flavor.

So this week I went back to my long-neglected Ischia culture. In the past, I have avoided Ischia for pizza because I felt the flavor was too powerful, but that was when I was using 20% starter by weight of the entire dough. Lately I have been using much, much less,  - 2.5% with a 2-day fermentation at around 62F. Very different flavor profile than from before. Much, much better. Was it the best yet? I really can't say because I am not good at judging pies that are sampled days or weeks apart. But it was a great crust.

Definitely plan to play around more with the Ischia to see what flavors I can tease out of it.

Below is a photo of one of the pies with chopped tomatoes from my garden (Principe Borghese), sliced meat balls, Oaxacan cheese, and basil.

Bill/SFNM

pizzapan