Author Topic: More things to do with leftover pizza dough - Grilled Cheese Upside Down Bread  (Read 4842 times)

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Another in our long-running series about saving excess dough balls from the trash. This one, a riff on a grilled sandwich fried in butter. may be the best one yet.

Stretch out the balls, fry one side in some good butter until golden and puffy, flip, and place cheese on the cooked side to start it melting. When the bottom side is golden, flip so that the cheese side is down and allow the cheese to brown and fuse to the dough.

I served this for a light lunch today with a tomato salad.

Bill/SFNM

Offline sourdough girl

• First the bread, NOW the pizza dough!
Bill/SFNM !
That sounds...and looks... totally wonderful and I'm always up for using ingredients in strange new ways!  DH says I should write down at least half of my experiments so that I can duplicate them at a later date... so I started keeping a kitchen notebook!

My questions:  what kind of cheese is that?  Mozz?  I've played with frying (and grilling) cheese and come up with some good stuff.  Even just grated parm  put in small piles in a hot pan makes crispy little cheese coins for snacks and appetizers!

Also, about how long was your total cook time?

Thanks!
~sd
Never trust a skinny cook!

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
sd, the cheese is queso oaxaca, a rich and tangy cows' milk cheese from the Mexican state of Oaxaca. It melts perfectly for pizza with long, luscious strings. This is not the vastly inferior American versions found in the supermarkets around here, but the real deal from Oaxaca. I am hooked on it.

I would guess the total cook time was 4-5 minutes.

Bill/SFNM

Offline bakerboy

• I Love Pizza!
that really does look quite good, and i know exactly the cheese you speak of.  We have a large mexican community here and oddly enough queso oaxaca is readily available.  nice pics too

Barry